Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vince Vega

The DWIronman League dies to: Criticality & Miasma

10 hours ago, Vince Vega said:

Notable: it's is highly recommended to play Criticality with Software renderer:

Just to expand on this quickly, there is a compulsory fight deep into the map where the colormap trickery comes into the foreground. It is still technically playable using GL, it is dark but you can just about make everything out... however in software mode you can see where enemies are more easily, but more importantly platform edges are clearly visible (and there are inescapable death pits).

(also it was on my to-do list to nerf the opening duo of fights so i feel bad for anyone who dies in those)

Edited by Scotty

My miserable performance in CAT1:

Criticality = 16/1111 Starts at 13:27

Miasma = 110/932 Starts at 20:00

Criticality

Category: 1
Kills: 3/1111
Time: 1:30

What I saw of the map looked nice, as usual for a map by Scotty. In retrospect, I should have handled that first encounter differently. Oh well, if this was par for the course for this map, I wasn't likely to get very far anyway. These sort of maps are not my cup of tea, especially on UV. I can't really comment on much else about the map, unfortunately.

Miasma

Category: 2

Kills: 20/932

Time: 3:56

I think I played Miasma before, possibly trying to figure out if it would be a good selection for IronEagle. The beginning seemed vaguely familiar, as did the first area you teleport to. The other time I played it, I got about as far into it as I did this time. I didn't remember much, and I wouldn't say this foreknowledge helped me, but it still means a Category 2. Nevertheless, the beginning (which is all I saw of it) was good. It looks good. The enemy placement seemed good. Again, unfortunately, I can't say much more than that.

dwi_pegleg_criticalandmiasma.zip

1 kill exactly on Criticality, just so yall know.

just

kill.

mum's proud, I know it :D

ahhh 23/932 on Miasma. Category 2 on both.

Edited by Major Arlene

Miasma: 150 kills (category 2)

Criticality: 21 kills (category 1)

noisy_ironman_mar2021.zip

My Miasma death was kinda silly, I was trying to milk the crap out of the map and it was going well up to that point.

Fun map choices for ironman, nonetheless.  "Pick your poison".

Both WADs: Category 1 on GZDoom with compatibility settings enabled. Streamed with OBS on Twitch.

Criticality: 11 kills, survived for ±1:25 minutes.

(Video starts at 1:14)
Ehhhhhh... pretty map. Guess I never got to see why I needed that good 'ole Software render enabled :P. From what I saw of the fight I might really like this one actually.

Miasma: 21 kils, survived for ±1:42 minutes.
(Video starts at 4:05)

I scheduled some free time for this. Now what am I supposed to do :P?

Video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/936855504?t=00h01m14s

Edited by Peccatum Mihzamiz

I love watching Ironman runs and I love playing Doom, so I thought, why not participate this time? Criticality is a beautiful map that I've never played. Turns out, waaaaaay above my paygrade.

Not that it matters, it's not like I'd have survived but am I correct in surmising that the complevel 9 equivalent for GZD is 'Boom strict'?

32 kills (Category 1)

Embarrassing video showing the world's most cautious doom marine peeking around every corner for 10 minutes:

Spoiler

Loved the first encounter because (as it is in vogue in this style of challenge map design) you get to see the enemy combo before you activate them, so I had a chance to think about the archie vantage point, what needs to die first, etc. Still, only survived by chance with 8 health. Emboldened by lady luck, I continue on stumbling through the level design for a while, cowardly picking off some revenants from behind corner and then finally make it to the next progression switch. This one isn't as kind as the first encounter because it not only doesn't show you what you're going to fight, it also alters the level geometry upon activation. My doom marine was already scared of his own shadow, so, instead of bravely pushing outside to have some running space, he retreats to the loving embrace of chaingunners and 3? I think I saw 3? archviles. Perforated bacon mush!  

I tend to find this ironman experience very sobering, it gives me an idea how my life (and death) as doom marine would realistically go.

Well, I haven't even bothered to compile these into a video - here are some... attempts, both category 1.

http://files.teamouse.net/doom/demos/dxndwi56-criticality.lmp - I attempted Criticality first, and got 5 kills in before the archvile got me. Nice looking antechamber, though.

http://files.teamouse.net/doom/demos/dxndwi56-miasma.lmp - In Miasma I actually did a lot better, scoring a whole 16 kills before I ran out of ammunition and stumbled into the wrong end of a shotgun.

I'm glad that I'm in good company, though - I'm never great at these at the best of times, but this month was markedly more difficult than any of the others I've done before!

Criticality

Kills: 30/1111

Category: 1

Miasma

Kills: 216/932

Category: 2

Sourceport: dsda-doom-0.15.0

For Criticality I could have gone further it was a bad play on my part, I still liked the map and will continue playing it :)

And for Miasma I've played a bit of but my furthest attempt never made it into that fight where I died needless to say I was a bit surprised. I will also continue Miasma to finish it

medi_dwi_miacrit.rar

Category 1 for both. I have played both of these before, but not enough to tell you anything about them other than that they look nice and are hard.

Criticality

61/1111 kills (63 kills including repeats)

7:47

ironman_criticalityv2b_Shepardus.zip

Miasma

51/932 kills (52 kills including resurrected)

3:17

ironman_miasma_Shepardus.zip

Source port: dsda-doom v0.15.1

Some notes about kill counts that hopefully won't actually matter:

In Criticality I killed two enemies twice due to arch-vile resurrections, and in Miasma one enemy I had killed was resurrected before I died. I'm not sure how I should treat those for the kill counts, so for the counts above I subtracted resurrections (I used the numbers from dsda-doom's extended HUD).

Also, I think GZDoom includes lost souls in its counts (I didn't use GZDoom but others may).

Edited by Shepardus

Both demos recorded on dsda-doom 0.15.1 -complevel 9, category 1.

Criticality, dead with 9/1111 kills  - Lost soul delivered the final blow just when I thought I had the situation under control.

Miasma, dead with 53/932 kills - Still traumatized by that embarrassing performance in Criticality, I panicked, switched to an unoptimal weapon and paid the price.

im56_andromeda.zip

Well, I tried.

Uz4BTZb.png
Somehow I survived the first battle, then went for a stroll for a while, and that was about it.

QjLPmL5.png

You can smell my suffering, always low on health and not being able to connect any SSG blast to a revenant that was just in front of me.

Category 1 on both of them.

IronManCriticalityMiasma.zip

Criticality

Category 1

Dead with Kills: 289

Demo: ReaperAA_Criticality_demo.zip

Ok. This wad is hard. While I only managed to get 25-ish% kills, I am still satisfied with my performance. I don't know how I even managed to survive this long. Numerous close calls, one at 2% health fairly early in the demo I think. If Miasma is like this, then pretty sure I will die there as well.

I did get lost a few times, which is why the demo is 30+ minutes long.

Welp, this went about as well as I expected.  Got above 100 kills in each wad before things happened.

Criticality - Think I see how to handle a fight (Pair of viles, lots of cacos & HKs in the back).  Fail to notice a bunch of chaingunners when I start attacking the viles, leading to a ride on that fabled AV express train.

Miasma - GJ ANIMA'D myself on a manco.

DWIronman_CriticalityMiasma_AnimaZero.zip

I made attempts.  They are awful.  Type 1

In the single digits club in Criticality.  8 kills.  Didn't spot the chaingunner filling me with lead until I died.

Miasma went terrible.  Worried about ammo if I hung back, tried pressing forward.  I suck at pressing forward aggressively.  18 kills before getting whittled down.

dwiron_mar2021_cnrsplat.zip

I'm never going to trust a switch ever again. "Press here to die" seemed to be a common theme. They were both great maps, regardless.

I'll look to complete both later this month on my own time, and choose alternate routes / save before each fight so I can see the maps in their entirety.

Played Criticality first, late last week, and then Miasma last night. Rewatched the demos this evening to get kills and timestamps.

Demos recorded with Prboom-plus 2.5.1.4.

Criticality: Category 1, ~40 minutes, 176 / 1111 kills

Spoiler

In the demo, nothing really happens between 4 minutes and 11 minutes - I was wandering around the map and enjoying looking at the scenery and details.

• Closest call was 27hp in the second fight due to getting caught by an archvile. Entered the fight with 200A/100HP as well...
  • Close calls at 21:38 and 22:37 from narrow misses of cyberdemon rockets.
  • Died by getting mowed down by 4-5 chaingunners from 65hp in 0.5s. Tried to reposition from getting boxed in by pinkies/revenants, but they had other ideas.

Miasma: Category 1, ~48 minutes, 278 / 932 kills

Spoiler

A more standard map that let me play more slow and steady. You'll notice I try to explore as much as possible before committing to a route or taking action via a switch or door. The level was great architecturally and I wanted to see as much as possible before committing to a path/arena/fight. Also, I think playing Criticality first made me more hesitant to hitting any switch I saw, or jumping down into a canyon / new part of the map...

Died by playing horribly vs a horde of barons/hell knights. I didn't even remotely corral them into a group so that I could run around them. On top of that, I hit the wrong key and selected the chaingun over the SSG when I needed a kill to open a path. Blah. And I had FINALLY just seen the plasma gun, 265 kills into the level...

cat1_super_ironman_miasma_criticality.zip

Miasma

Category 1

Dead with Kills: 303

Demo: ReaperAA_Miasma_demo.zip

This was actually a more standard kind of map with some challenging encounters here and here. Still I think I had a very close call early on in the demo with only 3-ish% health.

I died to what was probably the first real challenging fight of the map. A horde of mancubus with a cyber and hell knights as turrets. I actually had the fight under control, but then I just HAD to eat a stray hell knight shot and die.

Edited by ReaperAA

Here is my standard run.

This is my Category 3 submission.

This month, I wasn't going to have a lot of time to play these maps, but they were not going to go very well, regardless of the amount of practice I got. So, I decided to do my prepared runs, and here they are. I can say that I did improve over my original runs.

I don't have much else to say about either map, except to say that I may, at some point, play them on lower difficulty levels. I tried out Criticality on ITYTD and I found it much more enjoyable. Other parts of the maps that I have seen and other encounters are extremely well-done. It's easy to see why these maps are highly regarded.

Criticality

Category: 3
Kills: 10/1111
Time: 3:01

Miasma

Category: 3

Kills: 31/932

Time: 5:22

dwi_pegleg_criticalandmiasma_cat3.zip

Here's mine "super pro" demos lol.

Criticality: 15 kills, 2:02.

Miasma: 35 kills, 2:28.

Cat II for both.

dwipoisn.zip

This week should be relatively calm and free for me, so I'll start watching your demos and filling out the leaderboards.

Thanks everyone who submitted or plan to submit this month -- you are absolute legends! (pronounce with Karl Jobst's voice)

@koren, you nailed both of these two on your YT channel, don't you wanna join?

Also much thanks for showing Criticality, I got to know about it from your UV-Max!

My first ironman submission :)

Both are category 2:

Criticality - dead with 12 kills, nearly 2 minutes in.

Miasma - dead with 251 kills, just over 27 minutes in.

Both were recorded in DSDA-Doom v0.18.0 (cl9) with advanced hud.

star_march2021.zip

I saw someone play Criticality on stream a while ago and knew it was a huge nonlinear map with fights that could be broken down before you initiate them. My assumption got me killed, haha. Just barely survived the first encounter and knew I would die early. Also caught a few moments of Arbys550's streamed attempt before I realized I shouldn't be watching lol. As for Miasma, I loved Mutabor and was expecting them to be similar. Had a lot of fun and survived for much longer than I expected :D. Good stuff, I should play the rest.

@Starduster, "welcome home boy" (c) Pantera. I'm looking forward for more submissions from you, don't even think of quitting lol.

@Austinado, didn't you forget to set the complevel (to 9)? It doesn't fix the Ouch face, but I think I saw it on high damage rolls... I accept your demos either way, just don't forget next time.

I'm in progress of watching and filling up the stats guys. BTW, who's gonna pick up the next series?

Died in both wads :

119 kills for Miasma (cat 2)

203 kills for Criticality (cat 1)

Demos

Hey all, these are the first demos I've recorded for any purpose (besides testing out demos on different wads minutes beforehand) so please bear with me and let me know if I've done anything incorrectly! I'm not particularly proud of either of these short runs, but this sounded like fun so thought I'd jump on board. Both of these maps looked beautiful btw.

Criticality: 7/1111 (Category 1)

Miasma: 59/932 (Category 1)

Also worth noting that some of the deaths in Miasma occurred after I had died due to monster infighting, not sure if that means my count should be lower... let me know if so!

The demos: DWI_critical+miasma_dispor.zip