Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caiuz

Two switches or more than one pressed individually open a door

Question

hi doomers

I have a room where I want to put two buttons that, when pressed individually, open a door. how can i do this? should i use a script?

in this map I don't remember what it is, 4 switches open a door. thank you

mappa.jpg

6 answers to this question

If you are doing it in Doom format, your options are limited. The only viable way would result in "door" sliding down rather than up.

To do so you need to use several individually tagged sectors adjacent to door sector. Each switch will lower the sector to the lowest floor and near the switch place a repeatable line that makes door lower to highest floor (Or 8 above highest). This way once you flipped all switches, all guiding sectors will retract and door will lower into the floor.

In boom format you still have this option but you can customize the sector movement the way you like.

In any case you can join sectors (Select two sectors and press J) to have this adjancency happen away from player's eyes.

You can check out My submisison for Cladestine Castle Crashing to see the logic in action - with 3 rods around the secret bfg.

Additionally in boom you make a scroller floor that is blocked by several doors each opened by a switch. Once all doors are opened, a decoration could slide through and cross the linedef that opens the actual door. Doors are one of the few things that could be made to react to non-player object. In either case, an extra start (So-called Voodoo doll) can be used to perform complex actions of this kind.

do you mean you need to press both switches before the door will open? If so, a script with a counter would work. 

Or do you men either switch will open the same door? If so, you can just specify one of the door line specials on each switch, referring to a non-zero tag and give the door sector that same tag.

A script would be easiest if you know how to make one/are willing to learn and are mapping in a format which is script-friendly.

There are ways to do a similar effect without scripting, but it depends on what you want to accomplish. Do you want it to be an actual door, with the door opening sound effect and everything, or is it fine if it only LOOKS like a door?

2 hours ago, smeghammer said:

do you mean you need to press both switches before the door will open? If so, a script with a counter would work. 

Or do you men either switch will open the same door? If so, you can just specify one of the door line specials on each switch, referring to a non-zero tag and give the door sector that same tag.

yes ! press one switch and one switch open one door

but i don't know

how ?

13 minutes ago, Caiuz said:

yes ! press one switch and one switch open one door

but i don't know

how ?

Errr... Which one do you want to do?

Given 2 switches:

1: You must activate both switches before the door opens

2: Either switch will open the door (pressing just one)

**edit**

@ViolentBeetle has given a better answer.