Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Old-Doomguy

[SWITCH] Doom64 beginner tips?

Hey all friends

I've missed Doom64 back in the days because 1) I didn't have the N64 2) I thought it was regular Doom 1-2 and 3) I only played Quake at that time.

So I've actually gotten it now, I choose to buy it on the Switch because, well, this is the only Doom with maps specifically made for a controller rather than M+KB.

Anyway it runs smooth at 60fps and I really like the sounds in it, really eerie. I'm not friends with the controller yet (handheld mode on Switch with joycons mounted) but I'll get used to it soon. I've just tried Map01 on I own Doom.

Any beginners tips for this game? Seems to be a lot more exploration than on Doom 1-2. Tips for secret hunting? Oh and is there a way (on the switch) to make specific key binds? I hate cycling through weapons, is there a way to bind weapons to specific buttons?

Do the enemies work the same way as in Doom 1-2?

Etc etc, fill in with all tips!

Hope you enjoy it, pal!

Yes every enemy is pretty much the same, except that there are some nightmare imps, a semi transparent version of the imps with faster projectiles, and that the pain elemental throw two lost souls at once, and those being a bit more aggresive than their vanilla counterpart.

There are no Revenant, Archvile, Chaingunner, or Mastermind, though.

But there are some interesting new mapping traps that also shoot fireballs and nails at you.

Almost all maps are puzzle oriented with interesting visuals and secret areas.

If you can, try to solve the puzzles as there are three secret maps that holds the secret new weapon and the upgrades for it.

Aside from that, its the good old doom actions with a new coat of paint that make it shine far more than being new :)

The base game loop is exactly the same as the other games. There isn't really much new, aside from the Unmaker and The Nightmare Imp. Doom 64 does run on a modified Doom engine that allows for somewhat 3D floors and environment within the game. Most enemies are have new sprites that look like CG renders. The imps, pinkies, Pain Elementals, Cacodemons, and the new final boss, The Mother Demon all have interesting new designs that fit well with the new horror themed direction. 

Many people have considered Doom 64 to be the true Doom 3, and I can't blame them. 64 is closer to classic Doom than Doom 3 will ever be.

I think you can change the binds, but I dont know for individual weapons. I will know more once I get my switch cart from limited run.

One thing that will help is learn what binds to autorun, you will need to run to grab keys sometimes. Enemies behave a lot like Doom 2, but the lost souls are a bit more aggressive so get used to being friends with the chaingun!

For the most part I enjoy the puzzles and exploration in Doom 64. If you see a door with a specific color, keep it in mind as you will be going back to it with the corresponding colored key. Final Outpost has a puzzle which I think is a bit too obscure, so if you happen to get stuck there don't be afraid to look it up.

Other than that, turn the lights down and enjoy the atmosphere! :D

To go along with the Pain Elemental:

Unlike the Doom 2 variety, standing near them when they spawn souls and on Death is a no no.

For secret hunting, roughly the same concept .The slight misaligned texture/offset texture trick is harder to notice. Unlike og doom where only certain maps and linedefs would work (Dead Simple), this games system allows for more complex things like scripts to do more. So some Secrets could be hidden behind killing a horde (subtly lowers a wall) for you to find again, or a special script that after all barrels on the map are destroyed unlocks a secret exit.

Beware of inescapable or dangerous traps. If there's a lone supercharge in the centre of the room, something is likely waiting for you. Quicksave often.

The automap may sometimes reveal a secret like an occasional hidden wall or button.

The Unmaker can be upgraded with demon keys but it will make the final levels too easy and is not necessary on your first playthrough.

If you also have any sensitivity to flashing lights, don't play the game. The game heavily uses a lot of strong strobe lights!

Doom 64's enemies are identical to other Dooms. The main differences are:

Lost souls being more aggressive.

Mancubus fires two straight shots

Arachnotron fires double burst projectiles instead of single stream projectiles.

Pain Elemental spawns two lost souls.

Demons (Pinkies) are easier to kill.

If you want cheats and the ability to warp to any map, you need to complete the super secret:

Spoiler

Hectic level

8 hours ago, Warp said:

Doom 64 does run on a modified Doom engine that allows for somewhat 3D floors and environment within the game.

Not exactly. The only thing that's different in that regard is the renderer, where upper/lower floors can be set to not prevent rendering behind them, allowing for geometry to be visible behind them. The effect is a weird combination of K2bridges and that bridge in BTSX E1 MAP01.

Gameplay fundamentals of Doom64 remains the same with the classic Doom games, the changes are perhaps subtle. Always check up on the real doomwiki if you're stuck with secrets, save often and make sure to look out for traps because this game can be rife with them, and sometimes even diabolical (pits with no way out etc).

8 hours ago, Cosmos Of Kings said:

If you want cheats and the ability to warp to any map, you need to complete the super secret:

Hide contents

Hectic level

Spoiler

To get to Hectic, in Staging Area, destroy all explosive barrels except the one at the very start. A secret door will open behind the room with the berserk pack at the start once you destroy the last barrel. Make sure to enter Hectic with full health and armor.

It would be not wrong to look up in which Levels the secret Exits are (not where exactly).

The Levels itself are cool and the Unmaker is fun :>

Hi again

Thanks for all the tips! Man I'm sure having trouble aiming - how horrible must it have been on the n64 though if it's difficult enough on the switch with 60 smoth frames per second and more refined sticks? I found the Always run-button pretty fast by mistake, so I'm not sure which one it was - maybe one of the sticks?

I found the game pretty challenging actually, compared to Doom 1-2. But of course I've only scratched the surface by testing it on two maps on I Own Doom. WOuldn't wanna UV Fast it with a gamepad though hehe

The aiming definitely wont be as precise as the mouse for sure, and I think the smallness of the joycon analog stick movement area doesn't help. My tip is use the strafe as well to help you aim, which helps avoid over turning. :)

2 hours ago, Immorpher said:

The aiming definitely wont be as precise as the mouse for sure, and I think the smallness of the joycon analog stick movement area doesn't help. My tip is use the strafe as well to help you aim, which helps avoid over turning. :)

That's what the gyro controls are for.

4 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Oh ya! I completely forgot about the gyro controls! I will need to try those out when my limited run copy gets delivered. :)

14 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Do the gyro controls actually work well?

I played one year ago DOOM 64 on the Switch and I enjoyed it a lot. :) The gyro aim was a nice addition for precise aiming, in my opinion. I also like that they added later gyro aim control to the DOOM unity ports from 2019 via update. I was missing this feature in those versions.

Yeah, I think also that you should try to find the secret levels. I played DOOM 64 for the first time in 2015 and for me the last level was almost not beatabe, because I did not upgrade the unmaker via the secret levels. On my second playthrough last year I found by accident a second secret level and the last level was almost too easy.

On 3/8/2021 at 10:19 AM, Kyle07 said:

Yeah, I think also that you should try to find the secret levels. I played DOOM 64 for the first time in 2015 and for me the last level was almost not beatabe, because I did not upgrade the unmaker via the secret levels. On my second playthrough last year I found by accident a second secret level and the last level was almost too easy.

That is a good tip! The final level can be live-die-repeat affair on the first encounter. There's three strategies without using the unmaker, but its hard to discover those without looking for them online.

But death makes me loose all weapons ala Doom 1-2 - will the unmaker still be there? Or am I supposed to save every now and the then? 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Old-Doomguy said:

But death makes me loose all weapons ala Doom 1-2 - will the unmaker still be there? Or am I supposed to save every now and the then? 👍🏻

You loose everything on death, including the unmaker and its keys. However even for the original Nintendo 64 version, it was not intended that you put up with this as transitioning to new levels would automatically put its password into the password entry which would give you roughly everything back.

15 hours ago, Old-Doomguy said:

Yes, you will lose everything when you die.

You can save often to mitigate this.

On 3/6/2021 at 10:37 AM, Old-Doomguy said:

I personally think they work great. Remember, you only want to use them for precise aiming. You’ll still need to use the sticks for bigger movements, but the gyro is for those extra 3 mm that you often over/under shoot. 

On 3/6/2021 at 10:37 AM, Old-Doomguy said:

It is still not as precise as a mouse, but the combination turn/gyro works great. The best (most precise) control of all console versions of Doom.