Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

What unusual keybindings/button assignments do you use for playing games?

With all the different types of mice, keyboards, and other gaming peripherals, I'm sure there are people here who use unorthodox inputs when gaming, so that's what I'm curious about. For me, I usually use C instead of Ctrl, MB5 instead of LShift, F for flashlights or explosives, and stuff like that. I also recently rebound MMB on my G502 Hero to the DPI Shift button so I have MMB, MB5, and MB4 within reach and easy to use (G502 Hero scrollwheel button is a bit hard to press).

Because I use the mouse with my left hand when I play a game, I don't use WASD. Instead, I use the up/down/left/right arrow keys for forward/backward/strafe left/strafe right movement. END key is to activate objects (open doors, etc.)

Just now, ReX said:

Because I use the mouse with my left hand when I play a game, I don't use WASD. Instead, I use the up/down/left/right arrow keys for forward/backward/strafe left/strafe right movement. END key is to activate objects (open doors, etc.)

Are you referring to the arrow keys next to RCtrl below the RShift key? Or the numpad arrows? 

8 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

Are you referring to the arrow keys next to RCtrl below the RShift key? Or the numpad arrows? 

On a laptop I use the keys you mentioned. On a full-size computer keyboard those keys are somewhat to the right side of the keyboard, but I still use them. The number pad arrows are too far to the right for my preference.

1 minute ago, ReX said:

On a laptop I use the keys you mentioned. On a full-size computer keyboard those keys are somewhat to the right side of the keyboard, but I still use them. The number pad arrows are too far to the right for my preference.

I don't know if you've already experimented with it, but have you tried using RCtrl to open doors? Or perhaps 0/Ins? I'm looking at my arrow keys and those look more efficient and easier to use than END.

1 minute ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

have you tried using RCtrl to open doors? Or perhaps 0/Ins? I'm looking at my arrow keys and those look more efficient and easier to use than END.

Yes, on a full-size keyboard the keys you've suggested are within closer reach. But for a few years now I have largely used my laptop to play, and the END key is right above where my finger is hovering over the right arrow key. The 0 and Ins keys are on the top rows of the keyboard, and are somewhat out of reach. The RCtrl key could work, but I'm now habituated to using the END key.

Just now, ReX said:

Yes, on a full-size keyboard the keys you've suggested are within closer reach. But for a few years now I have largely used my laptop to play, and the END key is right above where my finger is hovering over the right arrow key. The 0 and Ins keys are on the top rows of the keyboard, and are somewhat out of reach. The RCtrl key could work, but I'm now habituated to using the END key.

There's a 0 key (with an "Ins" on it) next to the arrow keys, below the numpad. You should be able to use your pinky finger to use it, which means you can move around and activate things without having to take a finger off the arrow keys. But if END works best for you, then it works best for you.

Just now, HEVSoldier_nova said:

I use ctrl for crouching whenever I play a game that allows crouching.

Ctrl, as far as I know, is the standard crouching button for most FPS games I've seen. I think even GZDoom has it as the default crouch button.

I've been playing Minecraft for almost a decade at this point and apparently when I'd play it on my brother's computer, he set the button to place blocks to left click instead of right click as usual. I've changed it to that out of habit since then and only recently people have been telling me I've been doing it wrong. It's a little too late to turn back now.

5 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

There's a 0 key (with an "Ins" on it) next to the arrow keys, below the numpad.

Not on an "abbreviated" laptop keyboard. This is what my keyboard looks like:

csm_IMG_6856_Kopie_08_56fd4217fd.jpg

1 minute ago, ReX said:

Not on an "abbreviated" laptop keyboard. This is what my keyboard looks like:

csm_IMG_6856_Kopie_08_56fd4217fd.jpg

I didn't know they made laptops like that, are the extra buttons removed to make the size smaller?

2 minutes ago, N1ck said:

I've been playing Minecraft for almost a decade at this point and apparently when I'd play it on my brother's computer, he set the button the place blocks to left click instead of right click as usual. I've changed it to that out of habit since then and only recently people have been telling me I've been doing it wrong. It's a little too late to turn back now.

Isn't the "place blocks" button also the "attack" button? I'm not too familiar with Minecraft controls, but I imagine that would be confusing.

Just now, DavetheDoomguy said:

Isn't the "place blocks" button also the "attack" button? I'm not too familiar with Minecraft controls, but I imagine that would be confusing.

The normal control setup is right click for placing blocks and left click for breaking them and attacking. I've never questioned the fact that I've played with them inverted until now and the normal control scheme feels foreign to me.

1 minute ago, N1ck said:

The normal control setup is right click for placing blocks and left click for breaking them and attacking. I've never questioned the fact that I've played with them inverted until now and the normal control scheme feels foreign to me.

Tbh, the inverted control seems better if left-click is normally breaking and attacking since most "attack" bindings are bound to the right mouse button. So, using right-click to break and attack, and left-click to place seems more normal than the default setup.

When I play ARPGs I always bind my best potion to space bar. Usually potions are on 1234 but space bar is much quicker to press in an emergency

Maybe I should do that in Doom too and bind the BFG to space bar

I always bind the use key (Open doors) in my "F" key even if it's already bound to the "E" key.

I use right click to quicksave on gzdoom. Savescumming has never been easier.

I taught myself to type using Dvorak a couple years ago, which was probably a mistake because now the keys are all borked when I try to play Nethack or DoomRL or whatever

2 minutes ago, paturn said:

I use right click to quicksave on gzdoom. Savescumming has never been easier.

Have you tried AutoAutoSave? It's an addon that automates your autosave. Here's the link.

10 minutes ago, Karl515 said:

Have you tried AutoAutoSave? It's an addon that automates your autosave. Here's the link.

Just today I was wondering if somehow saving could be automated. One can easily abuse the shit out of this

1 minute ago, paturn said:

Just today I was wondering if somehow saving could be automated. One can easily abuse the shit out of this

I actually have that on my autoload as I can't be bothered to quicksave or to repeat a whole level just because I fell in a pit. It isn't that different from quicksaving though, it just Automates it.

11 minutes ago, Karl515 said:

I actually have that on my autoload as I can't be bothered to quicksave or to repeat a whole level just because I fell in a pit. It isn't that different from quicksaving though, it just Automates it.

Oh I get that, it totally depends on how one uses it. I checked it out myself. I can automate my saves in such a way that I basically never have to worry about dying.

4 hours ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

Ctrl, as far as I know, is the standard crouching button for most FPS games I've seen. I think even GZDoom has it as the default crouch button.

its not bound I think? 

however, a weirder thing that I do, is that I bind my number keys as my endgame/save/load/quicksave/quickload/help buttons, as opposed to using the normal f[insert number] key setup all sourceports have.

Right click for "Use", and Left Alt for running/walk silently would be my unusual keys, got told a few times that about the latter in particular.

Well...once, eons and eons ago, playing games with a QAOP binding (QA = up/down, OP = left/right) was a thing, and the default for many games (esp. on 8-bit micros).

I use Z and X to cycle inventory items.

My setup for Doom, but is basically what I use for all FPS games. Then there things like reload, inventory, etc that I bind to whatever's available

game setup.png

Somewhat related, I remember a post where someone complained about just not being comfortable at all with the default WASD setup or, conversely, how he didn't "get" how people could play with the default keyboard controls, in particular with the left hand on the (left) SHIFT/ALT/CTRL keys + SPACE, and the right one on the cursor keys.

Give or take 10 posts of fruitless bickering and flaming, the guy finally posts a pic of his hand and his keyboard proclaiming "Now, YOU tell ME!" and, well, he had a freakishly large hand with disproportionate finger lengths as well (his middle and index fingers in particular). No wonder he wouldn't 'fit' :-/