Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

What unusual keybindings/button assignments do you use for playing games?

Believe it or not, in Doom I use Mouse2 as the run button.

4 hours ago, Reelvonic said:

i refuse to play doom with a mouse unless its a big heavily modded wad like brutaldoom or multiplayer.

Whatever suits you. Although using a mouse will definitely help you perform better and Doom was designed to utilize mouse

5 - forward

t- backwards

r- left

4- right

6- shoot

space-interact

right click- strafe

weapons rebound from numbers to a,n,ralt,k,<,j,l in that order

Kind of odd but it works for me since my hands are weird

Not really a key reassignment, but  more of a hand reassigment: since I'm a firm believer that my dominant hand should control the finer aspects of a game, which usually means movement, I played most arcade games back in the day with my right hand on the stick. Even if the machine was set up with a left-hand stick, which often lead to me (and others) playing with a weird "hands-crossed" stance, with overlapping wrists. Even today, a left-hand joystick feels unnatural and awkward to me. Strangely, not so with gamepads, which is essentially a joystick in miniature....

The only exception to this were fighting games, esp. with Mortal Kombat style controls, where getting the button combos right (pun intended) was more important than movement (and that tells you a lot about the game itself, but let's leave it at that...)

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Whatever suits you. Although using a mouse will definitely help you perform better and Doom was designed to utilize mouse

Indeed, if you play harder and faster paced maps, don't be surprised if the tank controls won't keep up with it 🦊.

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

And yet, I've yet to see a satisfactory explanation of how exactly this could be, when the presence of unwanted, erratic movement pretty acted as a built-in weak point that canceled out any benefits gained from precise turning. I mean BEFORE people started using tools like NOVERT or even modifying their computer mice by removing the Y axis sensor wheels.

I've also never seen a satisfactory analysis of how some of the included demos were recorded, with their unachievably smooth and precise (with keyboard) turning. Some claim that Romero(?) or whoever recorded them used a mouse or trackball..OK, a regular mouse/trackball, with all the vagaries of  vanilla Doom, or he cheated "a little" in the aforementioned ways?

1 hour ago, Maes said:

I've also never seen a satisfactory analysis of how some of the included demos were recorded, with their unachievably smooth and precise (with keyboard) turning. Some claim that Romero(?) or whoever recorded them used a mouse or trackball..OK, a regular mouse/trackball, with all the vagaries of  vanilla Doom, or he cheated "a little" in the aforementioned ways?

They just look like regular mouse+keyboard play to me, nothing really magical going on.

1 hour ago, Maes said:

And yet, I've yet to see a satisfactory explanation of how exactly this could be, when the presence of unwanted, erratic movement pretty acted as a built-in weak point that canceled out any benefits gained from precise turning. I mean BEFORE people started using tools like NOVERT or even modifying their computer mice by removing the Y axis sensor wheels.

Even without the novert, I still think the benefit of faster+precise turning outweighs the slight forward/backward movement caused by the mouse as it allows much easier circle strafing and much quicker response against ambushes from sides/behind. The only time where the mouse movement is a problem is in stuff like the thin ledges of The Chasm.

I use mouse but shoot only with Ctrl not to make any noise while I'm playing in hope it makes the mouse last longer

WAXD instead of S. Some friend found it weird but my finger positions are different. My thumb is on X. This way if I had to backtrack, I don't need to lift my middle finger back and lose time. Also all my fingers are equally placed on the four directions and I can make the  player dance. This is true even in classic games. Back in the DOS times I used the numeric keyboard for simple arcade games instead of the typical arrows. There is a whole philosophy behind making little dance moves of your character around projectiles. I play much better say Undertale this way than even a dpad on a console (dpads where never to me perfect for doing precise moves of the player, it's your fat thumb against everything).

Then Q for jump (disadvantage, to strafe and jump at the same time I can do it only in one side direction), C for crouch and of course Space for Use. People get crazy why I don't use E, but somehow Space was on classic Doom and I am use to it. Although I know there are some different configuration that could be more of an advantage.

And obligatory inverted mouse on Y. Some friends are like "I don't understand, why do you play like this? Why not play like all normal people?". I think normal is established now. WASD and E for use for example is what everyone is using and there are some shitty Unity games that have these and doesn't even let you change controls. I can leave with this, but not having option for inverted mouse is worse. We think it's normal because WASD is established.

I've been using ESDF over WASD for a few years now. I made the switch after my A key started giving out after too much circlestrafing. Got a new keyboard but still prefer the ESDF setup, as it gives me more keys around the movement ones that aren't Caps or Shift.

Well, the whole inverted Y mouse axis makes sense if you have a flight sim background -stick forward=nose down and viceversa. Kinda makes sense for aiming, but it's also  weird to think that you are not using it for controlling an airplane...

20 hours ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I didn't know they made laptops like that, are the extra buttons removed to make the size smaller?

Yes, I just bought one last year and to accommodate the smaller size they sacrifice duplicative keys.

One can always use an external, full-sized keyboard.

Thanks to Ultimate Doom, I've been swapping anything mapped to spacebar to the B key. It's much more comfortable for my thumb.

3 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

I've been using ESDF over WASD for a few years now... Got a new keyboard but still prefer the ESDF setup, as it gives me more keys around the movement ones that aren't Caps or Shift.

Thanks for the idea, WASD does sometimes feel limiting by being on the edge of the keyboard.

Sometimes when there's a lot of keys and it's starting to overwhelm me because I dislike taking my hand off of the mouse (especially in stressing situations) I rebind my keys to RDFG instead of WASD, T for use, and so on. This introduces QAZ for additional buttons for other actions, such as scrolling through items (Q and A) and then using items (Z) so I don't have to stretch over to Enter and Bracket keys.

Eventually I got used to it, and as a bonus it's easier to switch weapons since RDFG is closer to the middle of the numbers 1-6, so there's also less of a stretch for switching weapons.