Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nanami

Artist Needed!

I wasn't sure whether I should put this thread here or in Editing. Anyway, here goes. I can't pay anyone for their help or anything, but if you're interested in helping, I'll definately mention you in the finished product's text file! ^_^ Both of these are for Doom II wads I'm making.

1) I need a minor-scale artist to help me with a wall texture. It will only be one texture and will use existing textures and sprites as a base. What I want, to let you know what you're getting into, is a Cyberdemon version of SP_DUDE6 from Ultimate Doom (the Baron of Hell chained to a wall and torn to pieces). I'd need a 128x128 wall, either on BRICK8 or GSTONE1.

2) I need a higher-scale artist to make sprites for an SSWolfie replacement. I can do the DeHacked, so don't worry about that. What I really need is a boss-like monster that replaces the nazis. I want some sort of demonic monster (preferrably not flying) with an automatic weapon, sort of like the Spider Mastermind. I don't care what size the thing is, so long as it's reasonable. This monster will be a mid-boss for my mini-episode, and I want something that looks like it could stand up to a Cyberdemon/Mastermind. The monster can be copied sprites from another game (Hexen, etc) if need be, but I still want the monster to appear Doomlike. I don't want the graphics to be overboard and amazing, and I don't want them to be cartoonish. I want it to look like it very well could have been an original Doom monster and fit perfectly in a Doom level. Sounds would be great, but if I have to, I'll just repeat current Doom sounds. This one might be a bit hard, so if you want to help, mail me an example or something, please?

If you can help me with either of these, please give me an e-mail at Kara@xfury.net or post something here. I'm in no hurry to get these, but the sooner the better.

I'll try for #1. I never was a very good sprite artist.

Edit: Done. Now to send. :)

Edit2: Sent.

Really? Well thanks. I don't think it'll be that hard. Just take the wall texture and a good Cyberdemon sprite and then tear the Cyberdemon up some... Let me know when you have one done so I can see it.

If you can't get any help with 2), try to get hold of a Doom 1 wad called "Cringe!" by Mark Klem. It has a new enemy which is basically a purple Doom guy with a Cyberdemon's head and a chaingun.

Hm, I was thinking of making a model of a scorpion mastermind (an uber powered version of a spider mastermind) a little while ago, so it might be of use to you. :) It would be kinda like the spider mastermind but with two more legs, twin cannon arms and a tail gun of some kind. I could make the model hires and try spriting it, if ya like. :)

I'm rather fast at making models, so I could get the thing done in a week or so, skin/anims and all. :)

Nanami said:

Really? Well thanks. I don't think it'll be that hard. Just take the wall texture and a good Cyberdemon sprite and then tear the Cyberdemon up some... Let me know when you have one done so I can see it.

I already sent it to ur email. :)

NiGHTMARE said:

If you can't get any help with 2), try to get hold of a Doom 1 wad called "Cringe!" by Mark Klem. It has a new enemy which is basically a purple Doom guy with a Cyberdemon's head and a chaingun.

WHich was later stolen by Paul Corfiatis for his megawad Twilight Zone 2 (twzone2.wad)

DemonDemon said:

Hm, I was thinking of making a model of a scorpion mastermind (an uber powered version of a spider mastermind) a little while ago, so it might be of use to you. :) It would be kinda like the spider mastermind but with two more legs, twin cannon arms and a tail gun of some kind. I could make the model hires and try spriting it, if ya like. :)

I'm rather fast at making models, so I could get the thing done in a week or so, skin/anims and all. :)

That would be awesome! Remember it'll be replacing the nazi, so the sprites would have to fit along with the attack frames. He couldn't have more than one attack type, but he could fire from his arms and then tail or something? That sounds like a neat idea. You could also alter a couple other things to make it more interesting. I don't know, maybe mix up some colors? Let me know, all right?

You don't necessarily have to make it use only the Nazi's frames. The original frames can be rearranged and codepointers can be changed (altering what they do), plus you can also use any spare frames from things you aren't using in your project. Giving it two attack forms, like plasma and chaingun, wouldn't be too difficult (even without adding frames.)

How would I give it something other than the nazi attack frames? I know I don't have to use the ones specified for the nazi. I could grab, say, some Pain Elemental respawn frames or something. But how would I give it another attack type without getting rid of any of my old monsters?

This monster might be in a level that doesn't have all the monsters in it, but eventually it'll be in a mini-episode that will have every monster in the game in it, PLUS this new monster.

I was thinking about what weapons the scorpion mastermind would use, and I do belive I have quite the idea. :D The two claws would start to rotate, opening up to some nasty chainguns. The tail could launch off rockets seprately by making it's pain frames launch a rocket instead of it showing pain (story wise you could say that it's pain receptors were connected to the tail instead of the brain. :), so even if you manage to hurt it, you have to watch out for the rockets. :) Both attacks already exist an would only need the code pointers. Also, there are plenty of unused frames from monsters (respawn frames for monsters that don't need them, most monsters have double the movement frames per so you could use some of them, and so on. :), so there would be plenty of room to make the thing with extra frames without effecting any of the normal game mechanics. You could also use the pointer that is used to play the pain sound and reroute it to in front of the attack frames so you can make it sound like the guns are charging up, or something. :)

I've played with deh a lot. ;)

This thread reminds me that I need to get my sorry arse to work on all the sprites I gotta do for Rtc-3057. I gotta finish 'em so that I can be "available" the next time someone needs sprites.

I could probably do both of these things that you're asking for, but seeing as I'm occupied to up over both ears, I simply don't have the time and energy to work on 'em now. Making quality sprites takes time and quality sprites is what I wanna do.

At least now I have a holiday at long last - that should boost my efforts!

I just taught myself how to use code pointers, and got a list of code pointers and what they do. I can make the enemy shoot as many things whenever I want now. ^_^ Now I just have to figure out what to make it shoot. I used the pain-attack for a monster once, and I might consider it this time. But I'll probably use a combination of plasma shots and chainguns.

ph33r the evil crab. =P

I like the black metal stuff, and the greenish brainy-thing is good. What would probably be interesting is if it was a semi low-to-the-ground monster with several legs. I think black or at least dark metal and a green brain would work well.

The tail could be made into a sharp point and not actually have a gun on it. Just an idea. What might be neat would be to have one arm be a chaingun and one be a rocket launcher, then have 5-6 frames be firing the chaingun and then one for a rocket before it takes a step or so to attack again. Or perhaps alternate between each gun, one being a plasma and one being a chaingun.

What I was thinking of not long ago was the brain part of it. Instead of being round and generic brain-like, it'd be really neat to have it moved forward and molded into a snout shape with eyes on the side and teeth all along the mouthline. I might be able to muster up an example somewhere. Just think a crocodile's head. That might at least be more unique over a brain with eyes like the Mastermind and Arachnotron. Make it look more sinister, not just a brain on a legged plate. =P And wires would be good.