Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Keen

What do you want id to do next after Eternal?

Now that DLC 2 is close to coming out, and Eternal has made a ton of money, what do you want to see id do next?

Another Doom game?

A reboot of Quake?

A new IP in the style Doom and Quake -- Trinity perhaps??

Or something else altogether?

Personally I'd like to see a new IP, but in the style of Doom and Quake. Maybe something with some fantasy elements, like a Quake 1 / Hexen hybrid. Same type of gameplay where it's skill based combat that is fast paced and monster heavy. I'd love to see that gritty fantasy medieval vibe of the first Quake again.

(I wouldn't say no to another Doom, though.)

A Quake 1 reboot is number 1 on my list, although the chances are slim.

Generally, I wouldn't mind another Doom game, but slower-paced than the last two.

Have we already mentioned a Quake 1 reboot?

A Quake 1 reboot.

I wonder how they should approach that reboot, though.

I'm certainly not against a Quake 1 reboot! This is why I suggested a new IP, I'd love to see a Quake-esque game that also mixes in some of the more pure fantasy elements from Heretic and Hexen. Spells AND a double-barrelled shotgun AND glory kills? Sign me up, please.

They could even advertise it as a new IP in the vein of Quake and Hexen.

Skill-based, fast-paced Quake 1 reboot.

Little offtopic, I've always imagined that doomguy is fast and super deadly while quakeguy isn't as powerful but he makes up for it with his movement and speed (bunnyhops/rocket jumps).

Kinda sad Romero made Dangerous Dave, because I would hav eloved to see a reboot of that. I guess a 3D Keen game in the style of modern Mario games would be cool.

1 hour ago, Roebloz said:

I guess a 3D Keen game in the style of modern Mario games would be cool.

I was mostly joking about a new Keen, but honestly a Keen reboot *could* be cool. The pogo stick is still a great gameplay feature, and it could translate well to a 3D space.

With that said, I think I'd prefer id sticks to the FPS thing...

One thing i always bring up but still think it's important is the actual "Eternal" or "post mortem" set of plans for the game.

Something about the DLC, time based content, events, skins, icons, banners, emotes, online features, even additional content from different services like BNet or Twitch Prime etc and the same for 2016 Doom or even Doom 3.

I don't expect the actual source code to go in the same path as Doom 1 and 2 but i hope something close and good enough (or a bit better) can happen.

This even applies to the yet-to-be-released mobile game Mighty Doom.

If they ever do Quake, i wonder how innovative they have to be, since the new Doom's already seem to have some things that either came from Quake or could fit there.

I still think the expansion for Q1 should be acknowledged.

I also wonder if QC's lore and art direction would be acknowledged too.

As for Keen, i think Tom Hall was happy with the idea of a twin sister but otherwise, the art style and gameplay didn't seem like the right idea.

Even if they give the IP to a team behind a fun and successfull platformer indie game to have fun with Keen.

For the "idverse" or anything crossover related: the idverse was always an abstract mess that might not really exist and even those invested in it are aware of it, which also applies to the topic of adding "lore" to id Software and related.

As for the Doom franchise, i feel like they could always get creative and do something, as long as it doesn't feel oversaturated and stuff is interesting enough.

Specially if new art styles/canons or some sort of experimentation in gameplay could happen, because i always thought establishing a "universe" for Doom could create some barriers. (plus also how the previous games were handled too)

This is also because of my weird standards of ideas on what "expanding Doom" even means.

I also thought if they ever do something more serious with classic Doom, a "retro indie" FPS like Wrath or Prodeus, with some Doom modders in it, could have worked.

Like some sort of collabs with modders, same for a Doom 3 sequel that tries to be what the cancelled Doom 4 could instead or even something more appealing and interesting.

15 minutes ago, IrOn7HuB said:

Releasing the unfinished Doom game.

Which one? Even Doom 4 had another version from CroTeam. speaking of cut content, i also hope they sort that thing with Romero and let him release what he wants, since they could benefit from it.

I would love to see a new Commander Keen game! Not that mobile abomination tho, but a proper platform-adventure (either in 2D or 3D).

Edited by Noiser

I have lots of faith in id Software, they've clearly displayed passion and competency.

So there's all sorts of projects I would like to see from them;

- Quake 1 remake, original style

- Quake 2 remake, similar to original style

- Create a modern Hexen / Heretic like game

- A whole new IP that's first person related

I would like to see them try their hand in a heavy melee fps game.

I'm satisfied with Wolfenstein for now.

Either a wholly new IP, or a Quake 1 reboot.

Anything but Doom after Eternal to prevent fatigue, and since it also marks the end of the Slayer's arc, it will be a good opportunity to shelf it for some time and focus on something else.

A thing that I just realized. Is DE gonna end in DLC2?

I wonder that because they named DLC1+DLC2 as "year one pass". Maybe the next step is making more DLCs. Maybe the story doesn't end in killing the Dark Lord, or maybe they make more DLCs filling story gaps (for example, when the Doomguy arrives to the Sentinel world). 

Completely agreed on a Quake I reboot, although I was thinking logically, if Quake was the Lovecraftian masterpiece it was, Quake II was about the Strogg, Quake III was the Arena, and Quake IV was about the Strogg again, then the new game would be called Quake V and be Lovecraftian again, like the series equivalent of a palindrome. That said, since numbers don't seem to be the hot thing for long-dormant games nowadays, I'd be okay with it just being called "Quake."

However... it seems Quake Champions basically is Quake V, and boy howdy, that's a game I don't see mentioned anymore at all. Does that game even have a scene anymore? 

I'm interested to see what they do AFTER they've successfully added Invasion. That may be a huge turning point for the game.

It also seems hasty to say "What will they do after Eternal?", as Hugo has said that there are many stories they want to tell in the Doom Universe. Will they use Eternal as the platform for telling those stories, or will they launch a new Doom game? Who knows; it does seem as though the Doom franchise is in good hands. It also seems as though they want to keep the focus on Doom, rather than fracture id's focus in multiple directions & on different IPs.

@Martin-CAI makes a good point: what will happen after DLC2? The 2 DLCs are "year one pass". It seems preemptive for them to just ditch Eternal after 1 year & move on to something else..

12 hours ago, whatup876 said:

Which one? Even Doom 4 had another version from CroTeam. speaking of cut content, i also hope they sort that thing with Romero and let him release what he wants, since they could benefit from it.

I would appreciate so much if id/ZeniMax releases the cancelled Hell on Earth version of Doom 4 unfinished as it is. It was done by id Software themselves. I am not referring about the concept project from CroTeam which it was later repurposed for Serious Sam 3: BFE.

Few of Doom 4's gameplay mechanics, design and familiar weapons implemented in were transferred to Wolfenstein:TNO, Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal. It looks aesthetically and artistically Doom/Doom II to me, but I understand that they commented that the project didn't feel much like Doom based on its modern features resembling to a 2010s' shooter and Call of Duty, as well as having RAGE-like combat with regenerating health. There was also a multiplayer component from the cancelled project that looked so much fun and had demons in it as a fun factor. I'd like to try it, not because I want make fun of it only to glorify the idea that this is not Doom when "it is in many ways if you look at the gameplays." It's because of how so cool how many ideas were thrown around in the project and I want to experience what they implemented in it. I currently document everything I find from every developer who worked on it and commented what they did for the project in every public website they shared.

It's been commented that there are six multiplayer maps. One is fully completed (Destructive City/Library), most of them are playable on Beta, and few unfinished like the "Zoo" map. There are four multiplayer maps and with a couple of prototyped game modes. One of them sets during the events of the invasion based on the gameplay footage I surfaced out many months ago. I am not sure about the rest.

I wish they could release it in the way like SEGA did for the prototype Golden Axe on Steam (at least.) If you name what Doom game I am missing out, then of course that would be the original Doom 4.

More Doom.  And after that, even more Doom.

I would rather see another studio pick up a Quake Reboot so Hugo can slave away at more doom content until he retires.  The Doom reboot hit all the right notes and honestly it can only get better from here.  Why try to fix what isn't broken?  Besides I would at the very least expect some type of Mod and level building utilities before this current iteration of doom concludes. 

Edited by Zemini

2 hours ago, IrOn7HuB said:

I would appreciate so much if id/ZeniMax releases the cancelled Hell on Earth version of Doom 4 unfinished as it is. It was done by id Software themselves. I am not referring about the concept project from CroTeam which it was later repurposed for Serious Sam 3: BFE.

Why would they release something unfinished/cancelled? Clearly it wasn't up to their standards, and they only want to release games to the world which are up to their standards.

Another Strogg space war Quake.
I see people asking for a new classic Quake, but really, what would it be besides a reskinned Doom Eternal? 

We don't need another fantasy shooter. The timing and technology is just right to get back to Stroggos and make a huge sci-fi war game with legions of soldiers fighting each other.

Lovecraftian environments in the new ID tech engine would look incredible. The return of the classic enemies and weapons we all love under a new formula and with new creative minds, who have a clear understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the source material. I'd love to telefrag Shub Niggurath again and see the return of the world's most annoying enemy in any game ever: the spawn.

@Rytrik makes a good point. Why would they release something that was both met with harsh reception and unfinished. People didn't want call of duty meets doom, and ID saw this and (wisely) completely changed the direction of the project for the better

Edited by Silhou3tte

31 minutes ago, Rytrik said:

Why would they release something unfinished/cancelled? Clearly it wasn't up to their standards, and they only want to release games to the world which are up to their standards.

Take note that the cancelled Doom 4 did Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal great because of its gameplay aspects. It wasn't meet up to their standards, because, okay. Bethesda expects to sell big things, while id expected to sell an experience by creating the reimagining of Doom II since the very beginning of development. Like Doom 3 was for Doom 1. Take note that any Doom fan would buy anything related to Doom no matter if there are things different and new added to them. It's still Doom. You kill demons in it.

I am glad we got better modern "Doom" games, but after 9 years since Doom 4 was cancelled, I acknowledge that its sacrifice on being cancelled shouldn't be in vain and the project should be surfaced so fans can play the Doom game that tried to be.

I've wanted a new Commander Keen game since...well, Christmas '92 I guess.  I could see a fun and fast-paced third-person 3D platformer-shooter coming out of Keen.  The world is long overdue for more of Billy's adventures, and seeing whether the universe will be toast or not and all that.  The Keen modding community has of course done some amazing shit over the last 30 years but I'd love to see something official if it were done with even some of the heart and soul of the original games.

And no, cursed Bethesda Keen doesn't count