Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Keen

What do you want id to do next after Eternal?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Zemini said:

"Following ZeniMax Media's acquisition of id Software, the rights to the series have been disputed between both id and Raven Software; Raven's parent company Activision holds the developing rights, while id holds the publishing rights to the first three games"

 

It will likely be forever in limbo - so a complete reboot would be required and it would be called Hexeric with some changes to character names.

Heathen?

Share this post


Link to post

So I had a thought. I'm not sure if I specifically want them to do it so much as it being likely, but here goes: 

 

A game focusing on the techno-barbarian adventures of the post- siege Night Sentinels, where you become something of a questing knight/ barbarian wielding crucible tech melee weapons (and SOME ranged options) in a quest to re-awaken the Wraiths, and stop a rising dark Sentinel lord from re-opening the portals to Hell. Basically; I reckon this could continue the fantasy/ tech theme, but push it more into the realm of oldies like Goltar/ Thundar, where that's the tone from the start, rather than the weirdo mix we had with 2016 to Eternal. 

 

If they do something like this, I really want them to go more melee, or at least make something akin to the Hexen series in terms of gameplay style.

 

Again though; not sure if I'm specifically keen on this angle, but it's a prediction. 

Share this post


Link to post

Ok so let's be realistic for a moment, in my humble opinion there is like 70% chance that Id will make another doom game, 25% it is quake reboot and 5% new IP. 

 

Now they have to make 10+ master levels which is super time consuming, invasion mode, minor balancing and bug fixes and raytracing on top of that fans demand mod support. Let's say that it will take a year working from home, I think this is very optimistic assumption. Now, it took Id 4 years to make eternal, assuming pandemic never ends (it is possible) and home office is the new standard let's say to make a game as big as eternal it will take them 5 years but still due to working from home conditions the game won't be the same quality as 2016 or eternal. 

 

To sum it up thanks to the pandemic and remaining things to do for eternal I think we can expect next game in 2026/2027. 

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

Probably nab "Blasphemer". I'm not sure what an abandoned project can do about it tbh.

"Heathen" sounds better than "Blasphemer" in my opinion, in addition to being closer to "Heretic".

 

However, I googled the former and it appears there is unfortunately already a game by that name...

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Stoltzmann said:

Ok so let's be realistic for a moment, in my humble opinion there is like 70% chance that Id will make another doom game, 25% it is quake reboot and 5% new IP. 

 

Now they have to make 10+ master levels which is super time consuming, invasion mode, minor balancing and bug fixes and raytracing on top of that fans demand mod support. Let's say that it will take a year working from home, I think this is very optimistic assumption. Now, it took Id 4 years to make eternal, assuming pandemic never ends (it is possible) and home office is the new standard let's say to make a game as big as eternal it will take them 5 years but still due to working from home conditions the game won't be the same quality as 2016 or eternal. 

 

To sum it up thanks to the pandemic and remaining things to do for eternal I think we can expect next game in 2026/2027. 

 

We can assume it will take some time but we can also guess (or hope) that they are putting out master levels while quietly working on their next game as a nice little stop gap. All the same, it will probably take a good while before the next game comes out. You know id, they never release two games with the same engine (since Doom 2). I think Eternal was quicker than a whole new IP would be.

 

I fully expect there will be another Doom game to go for a trinity. Like seriously, only 2 games in a series? Unheard of (well except for Classic Doom, I suppose). I welcome a Quake reboot, especially if it's Quake 1.

 

2 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

"Heathen" sounds better than "Blasphemer" in my opinion, in addition to being closer to "Heretic".

 

However, I googled the former and it appears there is unfortunately already a game by that name...

 

Heretic by any other name would be as badass.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

A couple potential hints from Hugo's last stream.

 

"There is still Hellish Argent energy running in the Slayer's fortress, so that's something he has to..." (Stops talking)

 

"If I were to produce another game, it wouldn't be a Ferarri, but a monster truck. I like to feel the impact" (Analogy)

 

I would love them to do a more melee fantasy game.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

When it comes to subspecies of demons or enemies related to others, i wonder if it would ever be possible for a game to add new enemies and base most of them in a sort of family/evolution tree.

Either in gameplay or design ties, but like an extansion to how the Doom Hunter has a second phase and how some enemies behave differently when you shoot down specific parts of them.

 

A weird example is a Cyberdemon/Tyrant turning in either a cyberless Harbinger of Doom or a more cybernetic "double" Cybie like that red variant from Doom 64's development.

Something that may or may not attempt to include a Pokemon/Digimon evolution system on demons or something vaguely inspired by that.

You'd still have newer designs/gameplay entities and focus on the weirdness of demons, still.

This also means playing more with different versions of enemies throughout the franchise.

 

I also recall people suggesting a 64 Unmaker skin for the Unmaykr (user tinman888 on Reddit even made a fan design based off it) but a more obscure suggestion is the red/dark claw from the Doom bible.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/28/2021 at 12:38 PM, Duke of Pathoris said:

I fully expect there will be another Doom game to go for a trinity. Like seriously, only 2 games in a series? Unheard of (well except for Classic Doom, I suppose). I welcome a Quake reboot, especially if it's Quake 1.

But didn't they say TAG was supposed to be the "end of the Slayer's arc?" I could of course see more games in the franchise, but I think this specific story is meant to be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I mean Funzone 1.0 worked for them in Eternal, not reason they wouldn't do it again. :)

Share this post


Link to post

Funzone2.0 would mean better for the know Quake Dance :D

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/28/2021 at 10:08 PM, Chezza said:

I would love them to do a more melee fantasy game.

 

If melee, than by motion controller. That would be great. But please no chair sitting melee game.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Yurax said:

 

If melee, than by motion controller. That would be great. But please no chair sitting melee game.

 

...but those have been done fairly well in the past. 

 

Also... not a fan of motion controllers myself. But I digress...

 

Dishonored, Dark Messiagh, and to a lesser extent Chivalry all showed that melee can absolutely be done right. Wouldn't mind seeing some of Arkane's influence here...

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Yurax said:

 

If melee, than by motion controller. That would be great. But please no chair sitting melee game.

Actually I like my melee chair fighting games. They can be tedious to learn but rewarding once mastered. My examples are Mount & Blade and Kingdom Come Deliverance. Both have flaws in their combat (especially Kingdom Come) but became some of my most favourite games.

 

With my vision of id Software doing one, it would be less directional swinging / blocking and more melee combo of stunning, smacking, simple right click blocking etc. It would introduce some RPG elements too, like some looting and weapon upgrades / mastery a level or two deeper than modern Doom.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Idk wtf else could they add to the game for a full trilogy, the combat is almost pitch perfect and there's almost no big issues with the game like there was with 2016 where you could spam one single weapon for almost the entire campaign, a new quake game would probably just wind up feeling like DE2 what with all the jump pads and almost identical weapon arsenal and almost same level themes, id have almost fucked themselves to the point where whatever else they have to do for a third game has to be something completely different. they can keep supporting eternal with master levels but I reckon its gonna take a while before anything comes up for doom. hugo did say they still have more stories to tell for doom so I dunno maybe they'll surprise me and come up with some sort of weird mish mash of portal and control telekinetic powers mixed with death stranding BT mechanics or whatever.

Edited by sluggard

Share this post


Link to post

If id wants to bring new mechanics to Doom, that's why i don't mind a horde mode but turned into a spin-off, just to cram in a lot of new features.

Weapons, abilities, items, power ups, enemies, bosses etc..

The one area that wouldn't be expanded upon is level design stuff like hazards, puzzles, platforming etc unless id finds a way to make "randomly generated" levels work, where the architecture tries to be well design and make good use of new features.

Basically, ideas that fit both the Funzone and different gameplay formats.

Like, Doom 3 RoE had a gun that was technically a gravity gun, it was a copycat of something, but it was also a "new feature" to Doom at least.

 

Also, wouldn't motion controls make it harder to preserve the game?

Share this post


Link to post

It wont happen but I would very much love it if they returned to the dark Lovecraftian theme of the first Quake.

Share this post


Link to post

I wish they'd do Doom 2024 as third game of the new Doom series. 

 

Doom 2016 and Eternal was all about the conflict between Hell (Dark Lord, Olivia Pierce, UAC) and Heaven (Hayden, Vega, Sentinels). Before TAG1 the Dark Lord and Vega were the absolute super entities. 

 

I guess id Software "scaled" them down to warriors, lesser gods and so on because they could not handle the epic conclusion in an appropriate way within two DLCs. After TAG2 the Dark Lord became the creation of an even higher entity.

 

Adding another level of superior beings weakened the epic plot of 2016 and Eternal. Now it just looks like a local conflict of a pissed of war lord. Originally Hell was supposed to be the highest metaverse (Heaven too, but Doom was always more about Hell than Heaven). 

Share this post


Link to post

I think that keep doing the "jk, this is THE real god" thing in future releases will continue to deteriorate the story, even more than it is right now. They must just stop. 

Share this post


Link to post

Doom 2025, but drop almost everything from 2016/Eternal, have Doomguy get out of his coffin and start a new misadventure.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Vic Vos said:

Doom 2025, but drop almost everything from 2016/Eternal, have Doomguy get out of his coffin and start a new misadventure.

 

What about Quake 2026 for 30th anniversary :p?

Share this post


Link to post

I think i recall something i wrote about a two headed enemy and how headshots can be used to make it weaker.

But i also thought of the floating cubes/dice things from Hexen's Heresiarch or an enemy with a "Rayman-like" logic for anatomy.

Like, floating seperated limbs or parts of a demon, that make it stronger, harder to hit and even attack on their own but they can also be weakpoints.

Or some more personal "weapons/items" they use as sources of abilities and such.

Or even something like Monsoon from MGR and whatever adds a twist to Eternal's gore system.

I think Samur's electric eyes or the spirit possessed demons under him are kinda like this.

 

13 hours ago, Vic Vos said:

Doom 2025, but drop almost everything from 2016/Eternal, have Doomguy get out of his coffin and start a new misadventure. 

As in, another reboot but like 2016/Eternal, it's a secret sequel somehow, with more weird different lore changes?

Share this post


Link to post

I know probably everyone has said this but I NEEEED a new quake game.

 

Me playing Quake Champs doesnt help.

Share this post


Link to post

If id wants to make another attempt at "remastering" old designs, i think the Reaper mini figures could be used as reference, since they even existed in the 90's.

They may not be entirely faithfull but they are close in some areas.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Reaper_Miniatures

There's also some of Doom 2 RPG's high res sprites.

Share this post


Link to post

Another enemy concept is a Cyber Marauder (based off that Cultist skin of his) borrowing the Dark Lord's shoulder cannons, just so he'd be a miniature DL.

Like, he'd shoot plasma and grenades.


Also, id is rerunning the first event so players have another chance to get those skins.

Although i feel like they should try a non-timed way of getting it, even if a more "permanent" way of getting them would make more sense in a time when they actually stop supporting the game.

Like how 2016's multiplayer eventually gave away its contents for free.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, whatup876 said:

Also, id is rerunning the first event so players have another chance to get those skins.

Although i feel like they should try a non-timed way of getting it, even if a more "permanent" way of getting them would make more sense in a time when they actually stop supporting the game.

Like how 2016's multiplayer eventually gave away its contents for free.


Yes, the repeat event got me thinking about this. Doom Eternal still feels like it's going strong and "active" despite all planned DLCs now being released. But at some point Id will need to make more money again, and to do that they will have to pull out the people now working on Eternal. Like you I'm hoping that they do something to keep the content accessible once that happens.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/11/2021 at 8:33 AM, D4NUK1 said:

Funzone2.0 would mean better for the know Quake Dance :D

 

Quake Dance Revolution?

Share this post


Link to post

Also, speaking of Cultists, id sort of missed their opportunity of weirdo Satanic cultists/robed guys as tributes to Blood cultists, the robed enemies from Heretic/Hexen and like RE4.

Those could have also been cyber cultists, so they'd be in a similar tier to the Demonic Troopers and based off that one 2016 MP skin set.

And if they return the concept of "enemy carries gun similar to yours" they could make like zombiemen reload their rifles or Marauders steal guns from players, like the Quake SoA Gremlin.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×