Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skillsaw

Heartland - final version available on idgames

*5 seconds into Map 1*

"Oh neat, I'm on a moving train with breakable windows! ...wait, a moving train with breakable windows?!"

I have to concur with everyone else, that sequence alone makes this entire set worth playing, not to mention Cacoworthy. Ended halfway up Map 2 last night before heading to bed, and I am having a blast with this. I had a dream a couple months back about a Doom map that was set in a construction site that used stacked portals and other trickery, so it was funny playing exactly that! :p

6 hours ago, MattFright said:

I hope i'm not the only one to feel this way, but: After playing through (most of) this, i really want to make some Eternity maps now.

I'm feeling the same energy here! I messed with UDMF mapping and portals for a GZDoom project that went nowhere a couple years back, and I'm wondering if the portal implementation works the same here. Because if so? There's some really fun things you can do with them. Think infinitely looping hallways, corridors that take you in one direction but end up in another, buildings with interiors bigger than their exteriors, or donut-shaped rooms where one end is longer than the other. Heartland may make use of these tricks, too, but I haven't made it far enough in yet to notice.

I may have to dust off the test map I made and see what Eternity is capable of!

2 hours ago, Reelvonic said:

@skillsaw mind if i add this wad to my folder of doom wads for archival purposes

do what you want. I will keep the RCs on my dropbox indefinitely and eventually a final release will make it to idgames.

2 hours ago, Vile said:

Amazing work, thank you for making it!  I did a playthrough on stream and it was a blast (vod in the spoiler).

I'm not sure if it's been reported but I did break map03 in my first attempt at it.  I hit the switch behind the red door to open up the basement area, cleaned that out and hit the switch to open up the path to the outside area, but for some reason I went back into the red door room and hit the switch again, which closed off the outside permanently.  I think jumping on the moving catwalks on map05 has a potential to break progression as well but I played around it.

Thanks for letting me know! I'll try to watch the vod. I think someone else reported the map05 weirdness, but the map03 one is new to me. I should be able to fix both.

31 minutes ago, PaquoCastor said:

Any reason why secret notification set in options lump? Just curious.

None in particular, I think you can still override it if you prefer to have it off. It may make sense to remove it from OPTIONS depending on the default setting, I would kinda prefer it on for users coming from Zdoom/PrB+.

In map03, after you drain the swamp, some of the enemies attacking from above don't seem to get picked up by the autoaim. For example, this spot (Sergeant was killed by the Imp), and many others around it. It's easy to check if the crosshair is set to highlight on enemies in the options. It's normally green for enemies in autoaim range but stays red for some enemies in this section. I was able to manually aim up and kill some of those enemies.

Edit: Also, are enemies shooting through glass but not breaking it a technical limitation? It's a bit strange in map01 when Imp projectiles float through it.

40 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

In map03, after you drain the swamp, some of the enemies attacking from above don't seem to get picked up by the autoaim. For example, this spot (Sergeant was killed by the Imp), and many others around it. It's easy to check if the crosshair is set to highlight on enemies in the options. It's normally green for enemies in autoaim range but stays red for some enemies in this section. I was able to manually aim up and kill some of those enemies.

Edit: Also, are enemies shooting through glass but not breaking it a technical limitation? It's a bit strange in map01 when Imp projectiles float through it.

I think some of the autoaim breaking down is likely an engine bug. Not sure if there is a fix from my end realistically.

With respect to the glass, there doesn't seem to be support for lines triggering on monster projectiles or I could fix that easily as well. There might be a workaround where a custom low hp thing is placed in the glass, and if the thing dies (either by player or monster attack), it triggers the glass breaking script for the correct line, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort...

2 minutes ago, skillsaw said:

there doesn't seem to be support for lines triggering on monster projectiles

There is, but it's weird. Just use any monster activation trigger along with the "player projectiles activate" one and it'll make them able to activate the line. It's this jank way because ZDoom when implementing UDMF chose to stick with Hexen's special activation types. Eternity technically was better about this in ExtraData than it is now in UDMF.

The issue there is editor support, with every UI being tooled to how ZDoom does things. Swimming against the tide for the sake of more granularity just didn't seem worth it.

4 hours ago, TJG1289 said:

Is @stewboy's OST for this going to be on his Bandcamp? I clicked the link in the OP to his page, and all I see is the Ancient Aliens OST. 

I do actually plan to do that (maybe this weekend), I just wanted people to hear them ingame first!

2 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

There is, but it's weird. Just use any monster activation trigger along with the "player projectiles activate" one and it'll make them able to activate the line. It's this jank way because ZDoom when implementing UDMF chose to stick with Hexen's special activation types. Eternity technically was better about this in ExtraData than it is now in UDMF.

The issue there is editor support, with every UI being tooled to how ZDoom does things. Swimming against the tide for the sake of more granularity just didn't seem worth it.

Check the Eternity Wiki UDMF page, I added one more flag there for "monster shooting" activation.

1 hour ago, stewboy said:

I do actually plan to do that (maybe this weekend), I just wanted people to hear them ingame first!

Ah, ok! I was hoping for it to be up today since it is now Bandcamp Friday, which means Bandcamp waives their normal cut of each purchase, so all the money from every purchase goes straight to the artist/label.

Cool, very cool levels, everything is perfectly played, But Damn how to configure it to be in full screen, I can't do anything with it stupidly in the game window...(

And Yes, Congratulations on the release! :)

1 hour ago, Sapfiar said:

Cool, very cool levels, everything is perfectly played, But Damn how to configure it to be in full screen, I can't do anything with it stupidly in the game window...(

And Yes, Congratulations on the release! :)

image.png.d6ab004043e36a987f0a2384abd90dbd.png

If you change the last character of the video mode to 'F' the game should run in fullscreen. Alternatively it seems to run perfectly for me as a fullscreen window when windowed, with video mode set to my native resolution (3840x2160W). I'm not sure how the 'Favorite Screen Mode' setting is factored in though..

"FAVORITE SCREEN MODE" changes the modes you select in "choose a mode"

OK so I just played the first two maps and I loved almost everything about them. I personally really like it that the maps have realistic environmental elements and yet also manage to achieve tight combat, which unfortunately very few maps manage to achieve.

Also I liked that the traps so far felt more blind-friendly compared to Ancient Aliens (which was arguably my biggest sole issue with that wad). So far the only really blind-unfriendly trap was the 2 vile trap on map 2, which I think would be better if the viles had their backs turned towards the player, so that the player and strategize/choose weapon before engaging them.

Overall, just from the first 2 maps, I can tell this just stole a cacoward.

16 hours ago, Snarboo said:

I'm feeling the same energy here! I messed with UDMF mapping and portals for a GZDoom project that went nowhere a couple years back, and I'm wondering if the portal implementation works the same here. Because if so? There's some really fun things you can do with them. Think infinitely looping hallways, corridors that take you in one direction but end up in another, buildings with interiors bigger than their exteriors, or donut-shaped rooms where one end is longer than the other. Heartland may make use of these tricks, too, but I haven't made it far enough in yet to notice.

What you're referring to is known as "non-Euclidian geometry".  All of these effects are possible in both Eternity and GZDoom, there just haven't been frequently implemented in maps outside of more gimmicky releases. 

But portals themselves are used quite often in advanced source-port maps, just usually it's for simulating real geometry rather than deliberately impossible constructs.

8 minutes ago, i suck at nicknames said:

ok so how do i get the megasphere in map 1? :3

(also is this the proper place to ask btw? .-.)

Spoiler

go below in the sewerage area (where you first encounter those imp-like enemies that leave a bomb after they die) and find a wall with a different texture.

4 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Hide contents

go below in the sewerage area (where you first encounter those imp-like enemies that leave a bomb after they die) and find a wall with a different texture.

i did, thats how i got to the gas station. i cleared it out and everything. i just cant get into the one building with the megasphere

12 minutes ago, Bauul said:

and I'm wondering if the portal implementation works the same here

To answer your question without starting a flamewar: Yes. There's a few differences but theyhave the same approach to how they work. The key difference is that Eternity's portal specials in UDMF are significantly different to GZDoom's, using UDMF to define portal IDs.

Spoiler

I think there's a bug in the elevator that leads to the cyberdemon fight in map06. If you press the switch to bring the elevator down first and then press the switch to go to the upper floor, the elevator will stop working.

heartland bug.png

6 minutes ago, i suck at nicknames said:

i did, thats how i got to the gas station. i cleared it out and everything. i just cant get into the one building with the megasphere

nvm i got it. im blind apparently and I didn't see the secret switch. Thanks anyways :>

4 minutes ago, BlipBlerp said:
  Hide contents

I think there's a bug in the elevator that leads to the cyberdemon fight in map06. If you press the switch to bring the elevator down first and then press the switch to go to the upper floor, the elevator will stop working.

Thanks for reporting! I'll add it to the list.

17 hours ago, skillsaw said:

None in particular, I think you can still override it if you prefer to have it off. It may make sense to remove it from OPTIONS depending on the default setting, I would kinda prefer it on for users coming from Zdoom/PrB+. 

Clean installs default to on, but defaults can't be counted on. Also the option lump sets the option on map load including loading a save. I just changed the option lump on my copy to 0, and that works for me. Much better than pulling up the console every time the engine changes it. So, yes, it works as is.

YES, a new skillsaw release :D 

Anyhow, only played map 01 but I love it so far. I can definitely sense your mapping style in this, be it aesthetic or gameplay wis and that is a plus in my book ^^

The portal usage is impressive and I liked the custom additions. You really like those suicide bombers I see :D 

Can't wait to play more of it. 

Just downloaded eternity to try out this bad boy, but i have a tiny problem. How do i turn off the mouse movement? It's quite annoying to try and dodge things and end up running into them.The maps are looking great by the way.

1 minute ago, danidf96 said:

How do i turn off the mouse movement?

If using the 4.02.00 release there'll be a menu option in the mouse menu called "novert emulation". If it's a devbuild there'll be one with more obvious wording, something like "disable vertical mouse movement".

Are you perhaps talking about the vertical sensitivity for the mouse? 

Like, when you move your mouse forward/backwards, the character goes forward/backwards? 

If so, in the options menu, there should be a mouse options. Just set the vertical sensitivity to 0 and voila. 

Aaa I can't wait to sink my teeth into this! It looks absolutely stunning! Indeed, this might just be the one thing to make Eternity Engine stand out for once! :o

On 3/4/2021 at 12:47 PM, Scuba Steve said:

Since this is just RC1... here are some minor fixes I'd love to see:

• Fix widescreen axe frame
  • Rocket launcher flash frames are mistimed and sometimes don't match the firing frame underneath it
  • Use the vsmooth reloading frames for the combat shotgun

Ooo, Git commit message style. Do you happen to have used Git, by chance? :p