Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

We have lost...

1 minute ago, Misty said:

I just thought that we lost important community member by looking at this thread title, but seems it's about silly poll... 

Same here. I was ready to break out the waterworks and everything...

Who cares? Doomworld is starting to look like Quora with all those dumb questions/statements such as "How long is a rope?" etc. I enjoy games that're good, and what is good for me can be bad for someone else etc. It won't affect me if anyone else likes or dislikes the game in many ways. Doom classic might just be the exception though, because as long as talented people likes it, we will continue to get great wads and mods for years to cum.

How many wads will Doom eternal have in 25+ years?

I mean... Doom Eternal is the best game. The older games are only what they are thanks to nearly three decades of community and modding. All we’ve lost is time. We’re all getting pretty old here!

A lot of gamers today were born in the 2000's so they did not grow up in the 1990's when Doom and Doom 2 was released. While most people born in the 1960's 70's and 80's would be more familiar I assume.

1 minute ago, pcorf said:

A lot of gamers today were born in the 2000's so they did not grow up in the 1990's when Doom and Doom 2 was released. While most people born in the 1960's 70's and 80's would be more familiar I assume.

tbf there's a somewhat large group of gen z people who are really into retro games

source: am gen z

16 minutes ago, roadworx said:

tbf there's a somewhat large group of gen z people who are really into retro games

source: am gen z

especially if you are in 3rd world countries

because of shit pcs and outdated consoles i owned emulation and retro games are my old friends

hell i bough a new pc last year and its still heavely outdated (its from 2011 with a few tweaks in the ram)

1 hour ago, Phobus said:

I mean... Doom Eternal is the best game. The older games are only what they are thanks to nearly three decades of community and modding. All we’ve lost is time. We’re all getting pretty old here!

This. In terms of what you get "out of the box", Doom Eternal is leagues and bounds ahead of every other Doom game, haha. It's pretty incredible. Anyways... back into my Doom II mapping hole I go. 

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

If we did the same poll here and 200ish people voted the results would be wildly different. The only way to get a real aggregate would be to do this poll at all semi-popular doom sites

Now I'm interested in doing that... Assuming I knew all the sites I should be doing it with :p

We have reddit(*), Doomworld... I dunno, GameFAQs? I just live here, dude.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeah, every doom is doom. But, we must consider this. Doom (and Doom 2) were made in the 90's when machines weren't that powerful (not mentioning the console ports), and the new Doom games were made for very good computers (and consoles, at least 2016, I dunno about eternal). So, any doom is doom. What I did lose was my 10 pesos coin.

Honestly if we're not including mods and only basing our opinions off vanilla content, then I'll be honest I kinda have to agree.

But mods do exist.

So instead I'm putting hundreds of hours into Doom 2 and the various things that use it as a base.

Doom is still relevant... in 2021?... I'd call this a win!

9 hours ago, Doomkid said:

If we did the same poll here and 200ish people voted the results would be wildly different. The only way to get a real aggregate would be to do this poll at all semi-popular doom sites

We need a Doom stat/poll/stuff aggregator!

We do!

I mean, it's just redditors, their opinions are pretty much the last thing anyone should care about.

Interest in Doom Eternal or 2016 can / may spark interest into the OG Doom games. As others have said, Doom is Doom. It's all an interconnected web and things build on each other. Plus some people prefer the new games vs the originals. That's 100% fine.

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one stood. Burned by the embers of polls votings, his soul blistered by the fires of Doomworld and tainted beyond ascension, he chose the path of perpetual torment. In his ravenous hatred he found no peace; and with boiling blood he scoured the Subreddits seeking vengeance against the dark lords who had wronged him. He wore the upvotes of the Night Sentinels, and those that tasted the bite of his posts named him... the Doom Slayer.

WE DID IT Reddit! The Doom Marine it's not more, all hail the Doom Slayer!

I'll be honest, I prefer Eternal and 2016. They're just newer, and adapted to more modern gameplay, and I'm 17 so I didn't grow up with the old games to get that sense of nostalgia from them. Doesn't mean the old ones are bad, I love em, I make maps for em. Each game has positives and negatives and there's no right answer on which one is "better", because they're all great games on their own. Even Doom 3 is a good game, even if it isn't traditional Doom gameplay. It's like when Metallica released St. Anger. Good album, just not "Metallica".

Younger people like myself being introduced to the series via the new games is a good thing, because some of them(again, like myself) are drawn to the older games and start learning about the game and the company's history.

What I like about each Doom game:

Doom (1993) - The limited demon varieties makes for some creative mapping efforts, like Sigil. The way the game is divided into Episodes is also one of my favorite parts, because I just find them easier to navigate and remember specifically which level is which.

Doom II - Super Shotgun is the perfect gun to counter the stronger demons. More demons, more blood, more guts.

Doom III - In the words of my friend, "I wish Doom was more of a horror game." Then I showed him Doom III. Perfect if you like FPS horror games like Dead Space.

Doom 64 - The Unmaker is a very interesting weapon to get, and the story is tied up nicely between the old and new games.

Doom (2016) - Proper 3D, allows for vertical spaces, and the weapons having mods is a great concept which I enjoy. Plus new demons are always a pleasing sight.

Doom Eternal - A boatload of new demons, mods, and even a new weapon in the form of the crucible. The whole game was designed to be a homage to the older ones and so the weapon and enemy designs reflect it in a way which makes me feel like I'm the same Doom Guy going from WAD to EXE. The DLC is incredible, and seeing the Icon of Sin in his full power was one of the craziest things in my opinion to happen in Doom.

Doom Eternal is on the first Place because it is new and fresh in Mind by People, their Emotions are also newer.

When Time passes it will switch.

That is why such Questions are bad in general.

If you ask People right after a Murder about their Opinion, the Death Penalty is very good in the Run.

They do not overthink the overall Consequenzes in that Moment.

But hey, Doom Eternal IS a very very good Game and it brings the Frenchise back in Mind.

I and others landed here because it brought back our Interest in Doom.

the new game is bringing in a alot of new fans of the classics!

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

Videogame polls are as meaningless as popularity contests, they don't mean jack

Cue Edens Back - It Don't Mean Jack

7 hours ago, pcorf said:

And a handful of people who grew up with computers too shite to play whatever the "new doom" was at the time.  :P