Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Phytolizer

dsda-doom source port - unstable keyframes debate tangent

So it seems like desyncs with keyframes only occur on MBF demos. I'll have to see if it's 11 and above or just 11, but I noticed that recorded Boom and vanilla demos of mine never desynced even once.

3 hours ago, Phytolizer said:

So it seems like desyncs with keyframes only occur on MBF demos. I'll have to see if it's 11 and above or just 11, but I noticed that recorded Boom and vanilla demos of mine never desynced even once.

This isn't true, you can desync at any complevel with key-frames. I know because I've already fixed an issue affecting all complevels for the next release.

I'm still only getting desync issues on -complevel 11, no matter how hard I try to desync lower complevels I can't. Out of curiosity, is your fix online anywhere? I'll build it myself but want to know if it is accessible.

Edit: here's a desyncing demo, probably useless to you but you never know. It's for Eviternity. Eviternity04-00000.lmp.zip I beat the level with keyframes but the game decided I died to a hell knight instead :(

Edited by Phytolizer

1 hour ago, Phytolizer said:

I'm still only getting desync issues on -complevel 11, no matter how hard I try to desync lower complevels I can't. Out of curiosity, is your fix online anywhere? I'll build it myself but want to know if it is accessible.

Edit: here's a desyncing demo, probably useless to you but you never know. It's for Eviternity. Eviternity04-00000.lmp.zip I beat the level with keyframes but the game decided I died to a hell knight instead :(

You're not trying hard enough... 🤷

Do you think I'm making it up?

A completed demo doesn't contain any useful information in it for this kind of work because there's no "correct" run to compare against.

As I've said multiple times in this thread, I recommend verifying demos periodically while making tases with key frames until they are more stable.

That being said, I'll have the next release soon...

7 minutes ago, kraflab said:

You're not trying hard enough... 🤷

Do you think I'm making it up?

A completed demo doesn't contain any useful information in it for this kind of work because there's no "correct" run to compare against.

As I've said multiple times in this thread, I recommend verifying demos periodically while making tases with key frames until they are more stable.

That being said, I'll have the next release soon...

I don't think you're making anything up. I'm just noticing that it's way harder to desync on lower complevels *shrug*

Also, I want to clarify that I love your sourceport. I'm just trying to help make keyframes fulfill the truly amazing idea that they are. I'm sorry my comments are useless to you, but there's no reason to be rude about it (Maybe that's just my perception but I hear it).

Edited by Phytolizer

Still getting desyncs with MBF demos :(

Here's a video (well, 2 videos):

EDIT: desync is about 2 minutes in

@Phytolizer I completely appreciate that you have wanted to help on this topic, but, as with the demo earlier, these videos don't serve any purpose. Desyncs are incredibly subtle and often occur far in advance of a demo visibly becoming distinct - you can't draw meaningful conclusions from a video. I investigate things from inside the code in a way that you can't capture visually. I feel like I can't make it any clearer that I'm well-aware the feature is not stable...

5 minutes ago, kraflab said:

@Phytolizer I completely appreciate that you have wanted to help on this topic, but, as with the demo earlier, these videos don't serve any purpose. Desyncs are incredibly subtle and often occur far in advance of a demo visibly becoming distinct - you can't draw meaningful conclusions from a video. I investigate things from inside the code in a way that you can't capture visually. I feel like I can't make it any clearer that I'm well-aware the feature is not stable...

Ok. I will wait until you can call it stable and keep doing single segment runs (if i can, LOL). Thanks for being patient with me.