Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtimZarr1

The Ancient Gods 2 - Trailers, Leaks, and New Info

Well, I have to say that the trailers have me a little less excited. I guess I'm just not a big fan of this brighter, fancier look. I love the Doom 2016 dark corridors filled with smoke and violent Hellscapes that feel torn from a nightmare. I'd love to see more levels with that look. Also, I agree that evil Doomslayer just looks silly in the mech. Certainly he would lose to George H.W. Bush in a presidential election.

With that said... I'm still going to play it this weekend, and I hope for the best! Even if I don't personally like it, I'm sure a lot of people will love it, so I'm just glad we're getting new Doom content. I really didn't like DLC 1 and I feel like this is certainly going to be better just because of the epic scope.

One last thing: I hope that big Endgame-style battle isn't just a cutscene, and it's actually happening around the player in the final arenas. I don't need to control a mech, this is DOOM, but I want the coolest stuff in the *game* and not just cutscenes.

I really don't see the problem of having Mechs in Doom Eternal. with the Technology available to the UAC, a Giant Robot is the least outlandish thing to be put on there and the only argument so far is that "Its not in Ultimate Doom/Doom 2", "It looks silly" and the good old Reliable "Its not doom" which isn't very solid.

It's also a highligth of Doom Eternal have all this type of variation of maps and decorations, that kinda detail it's only found in Custom wads to be honest.

The formula for all old's dooms always was:

DOOM 1 TYPE:
Mars Spaceship
Mars Stations.
Demonic Mars Portal Laboratory.
Hell.

DOOM 2 and 64 Type:
Earth Bases.
Earth Outside.
Hell.

Doom 2016.
Mars Stations.
Hell
Mars Stations
Hell
Mars Stations.
Hell

But here it's where they say, we need to expand to more areas, so we got.
Doom Eternal.

Outside Area Earth.
Argent D' Nur.
Hell
UAC Base Earth.
Outside Area Earth
Space Stations.
Mars
Argent D'Nur.
Hell.
Urdak (And you can say it's also like Argent D' Nur but more techbased)
Earth.

That's a lot of variation that's make also the game very unique in comparation with others Dooms, and ending in a combination of Urdak-Hellish it's really great for them, as it's one of the best maps aestethics to be really unique and good. And they make also room for Gameplays changes, as we have more type of maps that can be inspirations for future wads, and expand the enemy roster, at least a little, i really like all the Maykers Variations.

As having allready classic Doom and Quake in the Lineup, it would be boring if they didn't evolve and stay still in how they present Things.

And there is a Difference.

Doom Eternal is Story driven, but clearly more Gameplay focused.

Look at the Tomb Raider Reboot, it is Story Driven and its Gameplay succumbs it.

I see no bad in how Doom 2016 and Eternal are made, they feel much more like Games from the Past than any other AAA Shooter does.

You can feel the Niche with Games as Dusk and Ion Fury because there is a Need for such Games and you can set your Footprint in the Genre like Doom Eternal does with innovative Gameplay.

47 minutes ago, Robot_Joe said:

so the heart of hell is some tech city? that's cool i guess.. 

Hell was meant to be an advanced civilization, even more advanced than Urdak. The place we're going to is the heart of hell but also the only place that hasn't been "corrupted", so there's a real civilization with advanced technology.

Honestly, what I find most strange about the second DLC as it is shown in the trailer is... why does the Doom Slayer suddenly need the help of an army?

I feel like it's completely out of character for him to suddenly call for aid when his entire backstory is supposed to be this ultimate lone warrior too angry to die.

10 minutes ago, Doom64hunter said:

Honestly, what I find most strange about the second DLC as it is shown in the trailer is... why does the Doom Slayer suddenly need the help of an army?

I feel like it's completely out of character for him to suddenly call for aid when his entire backstory is supposed to be this ultimate lone warrior too angry to die.

His backstory doesn't always have him being a lone wolf though.

... it usually actually has him going in with buddies, and being the only one to walk out of the room alive. :P

Remember: 

Doom 1: 

Marines sent to Phobos. Doomguy's orders are to hold the entry/ exit vector while the rest of the squad goes in...only to get murderfaced. Point being; he doesn't go in solo. 

Doom 2: Technically he's coordinating with the remnant of humanity, and getting his orders accordingly. That he doesn't run into friendly NPC's who help him fight is really more a tech and design limitation of the time than deliberate move IMO (IIRC, Marathon was about the only FPS at the time where you had friendly backup, right?). 

Doom 3: Marine does run into friendlies, and spends half the game trying to link up with a squad, only to arrive too late. 

Doom 64: Like Doom 1; goes in with friendlies, who all get chomped down. 

Doom 2016: Backstory has him waking up after being captured, but before that, he was apparently fighting along side a legion of crusaders. 

7 hours ago, Rudolph said:

I do not remember that part. When was it exactly?

Unless by "mastermind", you mean the Spider Mastermind?

It was in the Lazarus labs right before the helix stone. 

1 hour ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Hell was meant to be an advanced civilization, even more advanced than Urdak. The place we're going to is the heart of hell but also the only place that hasn't been "corrupted", so there's a real civilization with advanced technology.

Oh, thats a really boring Take on Hell.

It should stay something abstract Humans can't understand that manifistate in our Universe.

Doom 3 made Hell pretty good.

11 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Hot Take: Nekrovol it's better Hell that the one of Doom 3.

Agree. Nekravol and Necropolis are much better hell representations. Maybe even better than the ones of Classic Doom. 

I have but a couple expectations for the Davoth fight - I hope that it's going to have at least two phases:

1. Armored Davoth bombards Doomslayer with missiles while using his shield to try and parry Doomslayer's attacks. He has thrusters he uses to lunge with his sword.

2. Breaking his chaos marine power armor, Davoth is revealed to have a red Immoran stealth suit, so when he was bigger and stronger than the slayer before, he is now more lithe and faster than the slayer & capable of phase shifting himself around the battlefield. He either has guns or uses his speed to try and melee the Slayer to death. 

3. Davoth has a big health bar.

If they go anywhere near this type of a bossfight, I will be satisfied by the ending of the DLC gameplay wise.

4yggx2n9msu51.png

15 minutes ago, AtimZarr1 said:

DLC 2 update out. 11 GB.

k0MNsao.png

HELL YEAH

EDIT. In the pic above AtimZarr1's post, the Dark Lord looks quite a bit like Sam Neill... Reminds me of him specifically on Event Horizon, now I wonder if that was done on purpose :D

1 hour ago, Samuel Slayer said:

4yggx2n9msu51.png

The Dark Lord looks so much like an anime villain on this pic.

Please, use the spoilers TAGS, it's the eye one

Spoiler

No anybody can read without be spoilers-

At least, the game does give the Doom Slayer an excuse for not immediately killing the Dark Lord:

2 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Hide contents

Agreed. Spoiler tags are appreciated so everyone can have the full experience.

I can see so many YouTube poops coming out of this intro cutscene.

Spoiler

For example, playing the The Price Is Right's losing horn when the Doom Slayer's Supershotgun shot does nothing.

19 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Hide contents

uhhh... this is a spoilers/leaks thread...

5 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I can see so many YouTube poops coming out of this intro cutscene.

Hide contents

For example, playing the The Price Is Right's losing horn when the Doom Slayer's Supershotgun shot does nothing.

Spoiler

"The price is wrong, bitch"

@Rytrik 

Spoiler

Or a "ping" noise from the Mega Man games when you hit something that cannot be destroyed (e.g. a Metool hat).

Or a good old-fashioned fart noise. 

Spoiler

I still cannot get over how random that dragon is; like, just where the hell is it coming from? At this rate, I expect Doom 6 to be basically a full-fledged commercial remake of Dragonfly's Eviternity or for those who are familiar with Marathon, the Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge total conversion. Which to be fair could be interesting, especially if like the latter, every dimension you end up visiting comes with its unique arsenal.

Edited by Rudolph

That was the dumbest, most depressingly contrived let down of an ending I've experienced in a game, ever.  You have to see it for yourselves, but I will say this: it makes everything you've done in this series from start to finish feel like it was for nothing.

10 minutes ago, StevieWolfe said:

That was the dumbest, most depressingly contrived let down of an ending I've experienced in a game, ever.  You have to see it for yourselves, but I will say this: it makes everything you've done in this series from start to finish feel like it was for nothing.

Also, just as I predicted:

Spoiler

They made the Dark Lord to be just a bullet-sponge glorified Marauder, and as such the fight is super repetitive.

1 minute ago, Rudolph said:

Also, just as I predicted:

Hide contents

They made the Dark Lord to be just a bullet-sponge glorified Marauder.

Pretty much.  I really want to see the YouTube simps defend this.  I want to see someone defend the big bad of the Doom universe having

Spoiler

LOONEY TUNES SOUND EFFECTS WITH STARS AND CIRCLES AROUND HIS FCUKING HEAD AS A PAIN STATE AND THAT IS NOT A JOKE

not being utterly juvenile and a way of showing they never took seriously the product they were working on wanted off their hands as soon as possible.  They didn't even have the respect to give the Slayer a dignified send off.  It's depressing.