Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nights

Widescreen options for Doom 3 on Steam?

Hey everyone. I've got a problem and it's been irking me ever since I bought Doom 3 on Steam. Are there any real widescreen options for Doom 3? I know there are source ports that help with that, but I am nowhere near as familiar with the Doom 3 modding scene as I am with Classic Doom. Any help would be appreciated! 

You got the Doom 3 or the BFG Edition?

If it's the original, i remeber it's need to be writen in r_mode in the config files or something like that.

22 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

You got the Doom 3 or the BFG Edition?

If it's the original, i remeber it's need to be writen in r_mode in the config files or something like that.

I have the original, no way in hell am I buying the BFG Edition just to play Doom 3, especially if it's the inferior version

It's worth mentioning you're missing out on many settings that make the game look so much better if you decide to use methods after 2 (especially if you want to use it with mods like Redux, turns off compression...etc) I should know because I wrote that article lol. First method is the most straight forward way to do it, lets you change them directly from the menu.

(off-topic but maybe this thread could be moved to Doom 3 section)

Edited by sluggard

30 minutes ago, sluggard said:

It's worth mentioning you're missing out on many settings that make the game look so much better if you decide to use methods after 2 (especially if you want to use it with mods like Redux, turns off compression...etc) I should know because I wrote that article lol. First method is the most straight forward way to do it, lets you change them directly from the menu.

(off-topic but maybe this thread could be moved to Doom 3 section)

I keep getting this when I try to do the setup, is it a problem with the installer or where I have the application?2021_03.04-22_42.png.ab3f868c933c5fefdd54d2dd9b4567aa.png

5 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I keep getting this when I try to do the setup, is it a problem with the installer or where I have the application?

Try running the installer as admin, or move it to a different drive and start it there as admin.

4 minutes ago, sluggard said:

Try running the installer as admin, or move it to a different drive and start it there as admin.

I moved it to c: but that didn't work, and I have no option to run it as admin. The admin option doesn't show up at all. 

I moved it to c: but that didn't work, and I have no option to run it as admin. The admin option doesn't show up at all. 

Did you already extract the .zip? also make sure it's not in the same drive as Windows, if all fails try the Multiplatform release.

3 minutes ago, sluggard said:

Did you already extract the .zip? also make sure it's not in the same drive as Windows

Yeah, I extracted it to Documents and copied it to C: drive, but neither spot is working. I also can't delete it either.

Yeah, I extracted it to Documents and copied it to C: drive, but neither spot is working. I also can't delete it either.

Is C: the only drive you have? also don't know how to help you with deleting files, need more info, or use Multiplatform.

9 minutes ago, sluggard said:

Is C: the only drive you have? also don't know how to help you with deleting files, need more info, or use Multiplatform.

I have C: and D drives, I think. No extra drives or stuff like that. Figured out I couldn't delete the files because the setup.msi was still running in Windows Installer, so I managed to turn off the installer and was able to delete it then.

Hey, just use the console (ctrl+~)

Then execute the commands:

r_customWidth 1920

r_customHeight 1080

r_mode -1

r_aspectRatio 1

vid_restart

Seems like the fastest method to me.

r_customWidth 1920 and r_customHeight 1080 are for 1080p resoultion. If you use 4k, then it should be:

r_customWidth 3840

r_customHeight 2160

Yeah, but they get overridden whenever you change anything in the video settings menu iirc, and quality settings are F'd up, why I mentioned the other ones.

8 minutes ago, sluggard said:

Yeah, but they get overridden whenever you change anything in the video settings menu iirc, and quality settings are F'd up, why I mentioned the other ones.

What exactly do you want to achieve using the settings menu? Everything can be done with the console.

5 minutes ago, Orchid87 said:

What exactly do you want to achieve using the settings menu? Everything can be done with the console.

Turn off some compression settings and turn up texture res settings to make them look higher res, figured it'd be more intuitive to have them on by default for higher quality presets so people don't have to mess around with hacky console methods just to get the game to look good, high res texture mods look atrocious on default ultra settings.

Just now, sluggard said:

Turn off some compression settings and make textures look higher res, figured it'd be more intuitive to have them on by default for higher quality presets so people don't have to mess around with hacky console methods just to get the game to look good, high res texture mods look atrocious on default settings.

Idk, I am so used to console, that changing these via the commands is more natural to me.

To the op, for the best quality settings type:

image_downSize 0

image_downSizeBump 0

image_downSizeSpecular 0

image_useCompression 0

vid_restart

Just a bit curious, why are the loading screens in Doom 3 so slow? The framerate of those screens are like at most 10fps.

1 minute ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

Just a bit curious, why are the loading screens in Doom 3 so slow? The framerate of those screens are like at most 10fps.

The engine is doing some heavy loading at these screens, especially if you're on HDD instead of SSD. Unlike modern game where the textures are mostly streamed on the fly, older games loaded them before the level start. To be honest, Doom 3 engine supports texture loading during the gameplay for the low vram setups, but due to inefficient 2000s era compression algorithms, this also resulted in lag and was undesired.

1 hour ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

The framerate of those screens are like at most 10fps.

It's not like you want a loading screen to have a high framerate. That could imply is wasting time rendering the loading screen over, well, loading shit.