Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
  • 0
Pompeji

Boss fights with SLADE?

Question

Hello, I am mapping using Doom in Doom II format. I am looking to make a boss fight in which the player gets teleported in a room with a dormant Cyberdemon and must kill it to progress through the map, much like the bruiser brothers in E1M8. How would I go about doing this? I was thinking the player could kill it, and then 2 things would happen. A floor would lower from the ceiling, revealing a blue skull key for progression throughout the level, and then a switch would raise from the ground which activates a lift. Either a lift, or a teleporter is lowered from the ceiling so that the player can freely leave the area.

Share this post


Link to post

8 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pompeji said:

I keep getting this message:


Script error, "Asmodeus's Stronghold.wad:MAPINFO" line 6:
Unknown specialaction 'cyberdemon'
 

I copy pasted your specialaction word for word, is there an issue with what I did? Do I have to use cluster = 1 for it to work? I'm only making one map.

Try Capitalizing it to "Cyberdemon."

 

You'd also need to make sure that the sector you are going to lower is tagged 666, just as if it were regular Doom. It will lower to the nearest neighboring floor.

 

Alternatively, instead of...

SpecialAction = "cyberdemon", "SpecialAction_LowerFloor"

...try this:

CyberdemonSpecial
SpecialAction_LowerFloor

You will still need the floor you intend to lower be tagged with 666.

Edited by Dark Pulse

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
Posted (edited)

on vanilla or limit removing (doom/doom2 format), bossactions like E1M8 are restricted to map slot. In this case only killing the barons would activate the proper linedef ON E1M8.

All cyberdemon killed, not one, on E2M8 would exit the map; the same for all masterminds on E3M8.

 

On doom2, only map07 has a special action with the mancubus and arachnatrons.

Aside from that, every map instantly ends if one romero head is killed on it.

Then there is a special use for the commander-keen as they activate the special action much like the mancubus and arachnatrons do on map07, but the commander keen can make it on every map.

 

So, if you want to have a cyberdemon that when killed activates something, you will have to use dehacked and use one code pointer of the commander keen on a new cyberdemon. Thats the only way i can imagine something like you want to achieve.
 

Otherwise, and this will restrict or expand yourself depending on what you aim, you can use UMAPINFO and create a bossaction entry to achieve the same you want but without using dehacked at all.

Restricting i said because, for the time being, there are not enough source-port that support UMAPINFO, only PrBoom+, GZDoom 4.+, and Doom Retro partially support it.

But there is nothing wrong on making a limit removing wad with UMAPINFO.

Crispy Doom for the time being doesn't support it, i think, but it will probably support DMAPINFO soon and that is similar to UMAPINFO.

 

Chocolate Doom is vanilla doom.exe on a modern OS. So no, there is no way to use any kind of mapinfo on chocolate. If you want to go the chocolate/vanilla way, your only option is dehacked, i think.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

on vanilla or limit removing (doom format), bossactions like E1M8 are restricted to map slot. In this case only killing the barons would activate the proper linedef ON E1M8.

All cyberdemon killed, not one, on E2M8 would exit the map, the same for all masterminds on E3M8.

 

On doom2, only map07 has a special action with the mancubus and arachnatrons.

Aside from that, every map instantly ends if a romero head is killed on it.

Then there is a special use for the commander-keen as they activate the special action much like the mancubus and arachnatrons do on map07, but the commander keen can make it on every map.

 

So, if you want to have a cyberdemon that when killed activates something, you will have to use dehacked and use one code pointer of the commander keen on a new cyberdemon. Thats the only way i can imagine somethin like you want to achieve.
 

Otherwise, and this will restrict or expand yourself depending on what you aim, you can use UMAPINFO and create a bossaction entry to achieve the same you want but without using dehacked at all.

Restricting i said because, for the time being, there are not enough source-port that support UMAPINFO, only PrBoom+, GZDoom 4.+, and Doom Retro partially support it.

But there is nothing wrong on making a limit removing wad with UMAPINFO.

 

Is UMAPINFO the same as regular MAPINFO? I'm using regular MAPINFO anyways

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Pompeji said:

 

Is UMAPINFO the same as regular MAPINFO? I'm using regular MAPINFO anyways

yes and no.

it works like a MAPINFO, but MAPINFO is only supported by zdoom base ports, and a few others like k8vavoom.

UMAPINFO is supported by PrBoom+, too, and since you are making your map on Doom/Doom2 format, a format that is aimed for more conservative ports, making a MAPINFO is kinda redundant, as it features are only supported by advanced source ports.

In this case, UMAPINFO solved that gap, as it makes possible things a little more advanced without the need of a using a more advanced sourceport.

 

But yes, you can use MAPINFO for that, too.
But it will only work on a port that support it.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 minute ago, P41R47 said:

yes and no.

it works like a MAPINFO, but MAPINFO is only supported by zdoom base ports, and a few others like k8vavoom.

UMAPINFO is supported by PrBoom+, too, and since you are making your map on Doom/Doom2 format, a format that is aimed for more conservative ports, making a MAPINFO is kinda redundant, as it features are only supported by advanced source ports.

In this case, UMAPINFO solved that gap, as it makes possible things a little more advanced without the need of a using a more advanced sourceport.

 

Well since I already shot myself in the foot by coding a MAPINFO file, is it possible for me to do what I want to do using said file? If so, how can I go about it?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Pompeji said:

 

Well since I already shot myself in the foot by coding a MAPINFO file, is it possible for me to do what I want to do using said file? If so, how can I go about it?

its not difficult to repurpose it into a UMAPINFO, and most high profile mapsets of nowdays, like Eviternity, has multiple compatibility mapinfos inside (MAPINFO, ZMAPINFO, EMAPINFO, etc)

So no, you don't make it in vain.

Just make a copy of it, call it UMAPINFO, and change it accordingly, here is the way to code it:

https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/blob/master/prboom2/doc/umapinfo.txt

 

But again, that depends on what you aim for.

If you want to make a limit removing map that is only playable on a port that has MAPINFO support, you totally can do it.


With MAPINFO you can also use the bossaction entries to achieve what you want.

for making use of that check it here:
https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Map_definition

there is a part that especificate all the possible bossactions.

 

to use the bossaction, write the entry like this example:

map MAP07 lookup "THUSTR_7"
{
	titlepatch = "CWILV06"
	next = "MAP08"
	secretnext = "MAP08"
	sky1 = "SKY1"
	cluster = 6
	par = 120
	map07special
	music = "$MUSIC_SHAWN"
}

for what you want with a cyberdemon it would be soething like this:

map MAP07 lookup "THUSTR_7"
{
	titlepatch = "CWILV06"
	next = "MAP08"
	secretnext = "MAP08"
	sky1 = "SKY1"
	cluster = 6
	par = 120
	SpecialAction = "cyberdemon", "SpecialAction_LowerFloor"
	music = "$MUSIC_SHAWN"
}

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
50 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

its not difficult to repurpose it into a UMAPINFO, and most high profile mapsets of nowdays, like Eviternity, has multiple compatibility mapinfos inside (MAPINFO, ZMAPINFO, EMAPINFO, etc)

So no, you don't make it in vain.

Just make a copy of it, call it UMAPINFO, and change it accordingly, here is the way to code it:

https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/blob/master/prboom2/doc/umapinfo.txt

 

But again, that depends on what you aim for.

If you want to make a limit removing map that is only playable on a port that has MAPINFO support, you totally can do it.


With MAPINFO you can also use the bossaction entries to achieve what you want.

for making use of that check it here:
https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Map_definition

there is a part that especificate all the possible bossactions.

 

to use the bossaction, write the entry like this example:


map MAP07 lookup "THUSTR_7"
{
	titlepatch = "CWILV06"
	next = "MAP08"
	secretnext = "MAP08"
	sky1 = "SKY1"
	cluster = 6
	par = 120
	map07special
	music = "$MUSIC_SHAWN"
}

for what you want with a cyberdemon it would be soething like this:


map MAP07 lookup "THUSTR_7"
{
	titlepatch = "CWILV06"
	next = "MAP08"
	secretnext = "MAP08"
	sky1 = "SKY1"
	cluster = 6
	par = 120
	SpecialAction = "cyberdemon", "SpecialAction_LowerFloor"
	music = "$MUSIC_SHAWN"
}

 

 

I keep getting this message:

 


Script error, "Asmodeus's Stronghold.wad:MAPINFO" line 6:
Unknown specialaction 'cyberdemon'
 

I copy pasted your specialaction word for word, is there an issue with what I did? Do I have to use cluster = 1 for it to work? I'm only making one map.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
5 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Try Capitalizing it to "Cyberdemon."

 

You'd also need to make sure that the sector you are going to lower is tagged 666, just as if it were regular Doom. It will lower to the nearest neighboring floor.

 

Alternatively, instead of...


SpecialAction = "cyberdemon", "SpecialAction_LowerFloor"

...try this:


CyberdemonSpecial
SpecialAction_LowerFloor

You will still need the floor you intend to lower be tagged with 666.

 

The second option worked! Thank you so much!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×