Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LittleDuck

how to make combat fun?

I've been mapping on and off for around 8 months, and I never really could get combat right knowing what made it fun. I'd assume there's already been a post about this topic, which if you find one, please link it. I just wanna save time and straight on ask. I don't understand how combat is made fun very well, besides that every enemy should have a way to dodge it's attack, hard or easy. I would like some tips on this, as I'm planning on making a 10 map wad. Thanks for any answers you give me!

6 minutes ago, Noiser said:

thanks for the post! I learned a lot more than I expected and hopefully my combat can be much better!

Personally I think it's difficult for doom to be NOT fun, as long as I've got ammo and the toys to use it. The only exceptions that spring to mind are:

symmetry in pickups/enemy distribution (not terrible, but boring)

fighting barons in a 64 wide hall

death-exits that wipe the player's inventory for the next level

udoom wads that make you fight a horde of cacos with only the pump shotgun

19 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

death-exits that wipe the player's inventory for the next level

I mean I think death exits are ok if its for the end of an episode for a semi episodic format, for example the death exits in Scythe 2 

just don't make the rooms ridiculously small and make sure the sector height changes a decent amount.
a lot of visual contrast makes for a fun map

most of it has to do with building your environment around the monster types you are using and giving the player the correct tools and supplies for the job. Large open area? Cacodemons and mancubus is good mixtures. Smaller or confined. Pinky and low tier hit-scanners.