Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

[Now on /idgames!!!] TWANGO1 - Vanilla DM for the Modern Age

On 3/27/2021 at 1:42 AM, Doomkid said:

22wip.zip

Here's the original Dwango22 which I planned to finish, but dropped entirely to work on Bourgeois DM. Lots of good stuff here, and I see no real reason this and TWANGO shouldn't fuse into one large-and-proper DM megawad.

Map01 - substantial overhaul and improvement of MENACE2.WAD by Neil and Chase1.

Map02 - original map, reworked substantially in Bourgeois DM. Based on CATACLYS.WAD by Suicidal (Zeppmaster) from Oakland Dwango, but very different.

Map03 - an overhaul and improvement of ENEMY.WAD by Jeffry_EnEmY.

Map04 - original map by Joe_Ilya. (He gave permission for his maps to be used and for the grass effects to be removed from his maps so that they doesn't crash vanilla!)

Map05 - another Joe map.

Map06 - DW100A.WAD by Hellbent. He gave permission for it to be used.

Map07 - another Joe map.

Map08 - Deathmatch version of Ray Mohawk's Map01 that I never got around to finishing..

Map09 - REFINERY by OpenRift, already seems like it's being used here too and has been improved a bit since.

Map10 - another Joe map.

Map11 - DETHMATCH.WAD by RebelVodka. Permission was given to use this for Dwango22 - but since these two projects are going to merge (assuming you guys are willing) I'm sure it's fine to be used here as well.

Map12 - an original, but old and dated map by myself (originally in E1DEATHM.WAD). Feel free to chop and change as you see fit!

Map13 - map from BIGGER32.WAD that I planned to remaster, but never got around to it..

Map14 - another Joe map.

Map15 - DROPDEAD.WAD by Mike Spenard. Not sure exactly what I was planning with this one, could make for a cool secret map though since it's so underrated.

Hopefully you guys can salvage most of the meat from this bone and infuse it with the TWANGO project! (oh, also, I would be super happy if you guys could leave the MIDI selections for the maps. I absolutely MUST blast others to Led Zeppelin and AiC once this is complete.. :)

Knowing your taste in MIDIs and style, yours is definitely staying in ;)

I've taken a look at what you got, definitely a lot of HOMs on certain maps, even a VPO or two :P. I'll try to trim some of the sectors and segs down to make it more manageable for vanilla. If you have any more maps you'd like to upload or decide to make revisions to some of these maps, feel free.

Thanks a lot for these. I might not use all of them, but it's definitely a big help. :)

Edited by OpenRift

If there's a couple small unfinished ones, you could conjoin them together into a Frankenmap.

@Gokuma I followed your advices.
* Fixed the ceiling you pointed out in the screenshot. It is consistent with other exits now.
* Added some ammo and health, mostly in corners of the rooms
* Turned off the multiplayer-only flags for everything
* Added some variety in sector height to some rooms, so it feels less flat. Due to this change, I had to change the water to blood, as there is no wall texture for falling water. Still no real verticality, as that would require too many changes.

I've decided not to add green armor and berserk since I personally prefer to use weapons online in maps like this one. Also, I don't see any good spots for them. Let me know if the maps feels better to play now.

NMDEATH.zip

12 hours ago, Redead-ITA said:

Admittedly i wasn't really fond of the pogchamp replacing my drawn logo to be honest, but you guys do you.

D'awwww, but it was hilarious! I just felt like the drawn logo as a gag didn't stick the landing to me. I will admit, the pog texture was meant to be more of an in-joke. But if you're adamant about keeping the drawn logo there, then I'll put it back.

Context for everyone else, this is the picture he's referring to. 

POGMAN.png.bc64d36dee927ebc1706f994302191d5.png

14 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

But if you're adamant about keeping the drawn logo there, then I'll put it back.

I mean i am fine if you want to keep the pog champ face, really it's your project.

2 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

@Gokuma I followed your advices.
* Fixed the ceiling you pointed out in the screenshot. It is consistent with other exits now.
* Added some ammo and health, mostly in corners of the rooms
* Turned off the multiplayer-only flags for everything
* Added some variety in sector height to some rooms, so it feels less flat. Due to this change, I had to change the water to blood, as there is no wall texture for falling water. Still no real verticality, as that would require too many changes.

I've decided not to add green armor and berserk since I personally prefer to use weapons online in maps like this one. Also, I don't see any good spots for them. Let me know if the maps feels better to play now.

NMDEATH.zip

Looks and feels good!   Yeah, I ran into that dilemma as well.   Originally I wanted to use water in Interdimansia, but had no good animated wall texture for it, and we can't add animation to vanilla, so I had to go with blood.  Still worked out well.

Edited by Gokuma

26 minutes ago, Redead-ITA said:

I mean i am fine if you want to keep the pog champ face, really it's your project.

Well I'm asking because it is your map, I just want your approval on it. 

12 minutes ago, Captain Toenail said:

I have three maps for this. They are only tested with bots. Let me know what you think.

CT_DM_Maps.7z

Ho-lee shit. Now these. These are like TNT Bloodlands levels of good. Those layouts and oh, those MIDIs...

11f.gif.e428cdb6b0ca8cf748a1f58c446d196a.gif

Only complaint is a couple tutti-fruttis, but i can fix those.

I got a cool idea for the current Map12, Warp Routine by Cyber Emperor.

It turns out SP_Rock and Fireblu come from the same source image.

FIREBLUorigin.png.84a31467c09e4548912e729c9d4d826f.png

I would temporarily change the fireblu bordering sp_rock to all sp_rock.   Align all those, and then change those ones back to Fireblu again.   Might result in a cool effect.   I don't how noticeable but I would try it.

6 hours ago, OpenRift said:

I've taken a look at what you got, definitely a lot of HOMs on certain maps, even a VPO or two :P.

Those are all on Joe’s maps, isn’t that right? I did test in DOSBox and the only reason those maps cause HOMs is because he added a lot of grass trimmings to the maps, he gave permission for that to be removed. I see no reason not to use basically all of these, I can vouch for their gameplay (except Map15, that was more of an Easter egg). 

The 2 remastered maps and one original by me in the first 3 slots are guaranteed to run well out of the box, and removing that grass in Joe’s maps is a 15 minute job I’ll happily do, but I want to be sure I won’t be wasting time before I get stuck into it. 

12 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Those are all on Joe’s maps, isn’t that right? I did test in DOSBox and the only reason those maps cause HOMs is because he added a lot of grass trimmings to the maps, he gave permission for that to be removed. I see no reason not to use basically all of these, I can vouch for their gameplay (except Map15, that was more of an Easter egg). 

The 2 remastered maps and one original by me in the first 3 slots are guaranteed to run well out of the box, and removing that grass in Joe’s maps is a 15 minute job I’ll happily do, but I want to be sure I won’t be wasting time before I get stuck into it. 

Cool

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Map04 in the WAD you gave was an easy fix with the grass, Map07 took a LOT more than I expected. I had to make a lot of little changes, even had to add onto it to close off a VPO/HOM area. I think it's still pretty good. I tried to keep the cosmetic changes as minimal as possible. But I had to completely redo the grass flats because of the sheer amount of vertices from the alternating grass patterns.

I like how it came out though. What do you guys think?

JOE.zip (has both Map04 and 07 remapped to Map01 and 02 for viewing purposes)

Edited by OpenRift

I like @Captain Toenail's maps, especially map03, not sure why yet, it just feels better.

The JOE maps: map01 I think seems ok, map02 doesn't flow as expected, at least imo.

~ Map02, if there was maybe a teleport after getting the RL instead of a dead end?

And the BFG seems really easy to get heh. ~ after going for the health bonus/bottle, maybe just have the BFG lift farther away. ~ strafe run pickup? 

Edited by Mr.Rocket

18 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

~ Map02, if there was maybe a teleport after getting the RL instead of a dead end?

And the BFG seems really easy to get heh. ~ after going for the health bonus/bottle, maybe just have the BFG lift farther away. ~ strafe run pickup? 

I agree with both of these suggestions! The dead end RL is definitely frustrating.

I actually meant the Plasma Rifle, since it's at the end of a one-way tunnel. Having a teleport in the RL pool would be really frustrating if you wanted to jump down into it from the side that doesn't have stairs lol

Edited by Doomkid

Heres a vanilla port of one of my DM maps.

Originally it was supposed to be a TNT deathmatch inspired Boom mapset but I'll most likely never finish it lol.

Enjoy!

DevilsDeuteronomy-DMmap.zip

(For some reason I've started naming maps after Bible books :/ )

Also this isn't very balanced lol. Feel free to make changes :)

8 hours ago, Captain Toenail said:

I have three maps for this. They are only tested with bots. Let me know what you think.

CT_DM_Maps.7z

Holy shit,

These are awesome!

Good job man!

9 hours ago, OpenRift said:

Well I'm asking because it is your map, I just want your approval on it. 

Yeah you have my approval!

Anyone mind if I place my level(s?) for this project on the doomworld archive also?

Or is there some project restrictions I need to know about?

I'd like for it to be in the TWANGO mega also, just curious.

I can't speak for OpenRift, but as far as what I've done so far and my intentions, I've previously released Lamasery(for Strife but cramped and needs updating, Doom, and Heretic) and Quad Goal+Doomball within something and submitted them for this, but I made Interdimansia and Dwango5-04Redux/"This ****ing Map" for this project.   However, I would like to include another version of Interdimansia with a good single player aspect in something else later.   Then I got one more map for this planned I don't know how well it's going to turn out within vanilla limitations if there's even room for another map left, and I might like to use it again in something much later.   The series of Dwango compilations did recycle a lot and even more recent DM megawads for Z-ports have done similar.   Anyway, I'm looking forward to having been a part of Twango #1 and possibly more.

Something to keep in mind besides the intended dosbox Doom2.exe multiplayer as well as being able to play on any of the client-server Z-ports, are good options for local 4 player splitscreen which include the official Doom 2 Classic, Eternity, and LZDoom (ranked by ease of setting up though LZDoom is my preference), or Doom Legacy if you combine its 2 player splitscreen (with both being to use mice on older comps with serial ports!) with networking across two computers.   I actually still have functional old 120mhz and 700mhz Win9x comps with SoundBlasters AWE32 and Live Platinum, so I could go totally freaking old school with Doom2.exe  with Deathmanager and ipxsetup.exe or an older version of Doom Legacy.

Edited by Gokuma

1 hour ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Anyone mind if I place my level(s?) for this project on the doomworld archive also?

Or is there some project restrictions I need to know about?

I'd like for it to be in the TWANGO mega also, just curious.

Absolutely, feel free to upload your levels independently! I see no problem with doing that.

7 hours ago, IggySqiggles said:

Heres a vanilla port of one of my DM maps.

Originally it was supposed to be a TNT deathmatch inspired Boom mapset but I'll most likely never finish it lol.

Enjoy!

DevilsDeuteronomy-DMmap.zip

(For some reason I've started naming maps after Bible books :/ )

Also this isn't very balanced lol. Feel free to make changes :)

I'm LOVING this layout. This is great stuff. I'll definitely try tweaking around the item spawns and such.

I actually have a single DM map that was converted from my original single-player map. I called it 'Refinery-DM' originally, but seeing as there is already a map called 'Refinery', I will instead opt to call it 'Sewage Plant'. I'm relatively new to DM design, but I think this flows reasonably okay - if it isn't up to snuff, I can change some things, or try to re-balance.

SEWAGE PLANT.7z

EDIT: Music is 'BD_E1M1' from Simply Phobos, by Paul Corfiatis, (pcorf).

There are no HOMs, or other visual glitches that I've noticed, but I haven't been able to test for VPO yet. I'm not even really sure how to do that - I tried to look up some info, and I know it only works w/ ports that have doom2 limits still. Stuff like choco, and the original EXE? I can't figure out the command line for either DOSbox or choco, would somebody be able to point me in the right direction? If there is a VPO, I'm not even sure how I would fix it :P

Edited by Arrowhead12

2 minutes ago, Arrowhead12 said:

I actually have a single DM map that was converted from my original single-player map. I called it 'Refinery-DM' originally, but seeing as there is already a map called 'Refinery', I will instead opt to call it 'Sewage Plant'. I'm relatively new to DM design, but I think this flows reasonably okay - if it isn't up to snuff, I can change some things, or try to re-balance.

SEWAGE PLANT.7z

There are no HOMs, or other visual glitches that I've noticed, but I haven't been able to test for VPO yet. I'm not even really sure how to do that - I tried to look up some info, and I know it only works w/ ports that have doom2 limits still. Stuff like choco, and the original EXE? I can't figure out the command line for either DOSbox or choco, would somebody be able to point me in the right direction? If there is a VPO, I'm not even sure how I would fix it :P

Yeah, I hit a VPO right out of spawn, as well as some HOMs. For future reference, you should test your maps using chocolate doom if you're aiming for vanilla compatibility.

I'll see what I can do with it.

1 minute ago, OpenRift said:

Yeah, I hit a VPO right out of spawn, as well as some HOMs. For future reference, you should test your maps using chocolate doom if you're aiming for vanilla compatibility.

I see - well that's unfortunate. I am quite new to this, so I will be sure to do that in the future. Feel free to adjust / alter the map howewver you see fit. I, (or course) appreciate your time. :)

Thanks for doing this project btw - very very few DM maps being made these days... I have another 10 maps that are all using Boom/Otex, so they wouldn't be a good fit here I think. Probably going to release those as a separate project some day...

1 hour ago, OpenRift said:

Strange, I was using chocolate doom to test. The problem is probably the map was originally in boom format but it should be easy to convert.

8 minutes ago, IggySqiggles said:

Strange, I was using chocolate doom to test. The problem is probably the map was originally in boom format but it should be easy to convert.

Wait, what? I was talking about Arrowhead's map, not yours. Yours is fine. 

Great map as usual from you CT, has a STRONG "2004 ZDaemon era" vibe to it which is a good thing.

So how many slots are still open? Regarding the 15 maps for Dwango22 that I passed on to this project, I think 8, 9, 12, 13 and 15 could definitely be scrapped (either because they're already used or are just below the curve), but I'd hope to see the rest joining the party. I think we must be at least pretty close to 30 by now, is that right?

Also I talked to Joe about the edited versions of his maps. He seemed to like them other than a couple points. Trying to convince him that the plasma dead-end is frustrating took some effort, but he seemed to come around. (Just posting our convo here since Joe is not able to post on Doomworld)

joe-ilya — Today at 9:10 AM
The BFG spot in MAP02 is now unbalanced because of the raised windowsills that make getting the BFG too easy and provides unneeded cover. I'm also not sure what's so bad about the RL spot, as it can be jumped from the other side

Doomkid — Today at 9:14 AM
The RL spot is a dead end, and that's bad in DM pretty much universally
[9:15 AM]
I didn't realize the BFG setup had been altered though
A simple teleport or staircase could easily fix the dead end though

joe-ilya — Today at 9:16 AM
If the dead end is for a powerful weapon, I think it's justified

Doomkid — Today at 9:16 AM
Literally everyone else will hate that lol
[9:17 AM]
shame to have an otherwise really nice layout have a fucky bit like that

joe-ilya — Today at 9:17 AM
I think an instafloor would be preferable to the top of the pool.(edited)

Doomkid — Today at 9:18 AM
Oh wait, you mean the pool? that's no problem
[9:18 AM]
D'oh, I was thinking of the Plasma dead end this whole time(edited)
I'm sure that's what Mr Rocket meant too.. The pool is totally fine as is(edited)

joe-ilya — Today at 9:19 AM
He was talking about RL tho

Doomkid — Today at 9:19 AM
He's wrong then lol
[9:19 AM]
The RL is fine, it's the Plasma dead end that's actually frustrating

joe-ilya — Today at 9:20 AM
It's for extra BFG ammo pretty much, I gotta make it somewhat punishing I feel(edited)
[9:20 AM]
BFG is in quite an easy spot anyway

Doomkid — Today at 9:20 AM
TBH, maybe swap the BFG and Plasma position in that case?
Then I could agree the dead end makes total strategic sense
[9:21 AM]
Plus it wouldn't be as "brazen" as the current BFG placement
[9:26 AM]
Plus fix whatever was messed up about the windows during OpenRift's conversion lol (didnt notice that til now)

joe-ilya — Today at 9:28 AM
People don't take the plasma gun as often as BFG, and as you said it's a frustrating spot, I want players to use it on rare occasions as when they exhaust all their initial BFG cells.

Doomkid — Today at 9:31 AM
It was annoying when I played the map, but "don't go here" sections in DM maps always rub me that way
[9:31 AM]
I just want to point it out because maps with stuff like that can piss people off enough to be server killers
it's your decision, but I want you to know out the gate that most people will have a distinctly "ugh" reaction to that lol

joe-ilya — Today at 9:33 AM
mr rocket didn't like the RL spot, so I'm not sure, maybe everyone will have a unique peeve about the map(edited)

Doomkid — Today at 9:33 AM
The RL thing is really minor, it's basically just a circle
[9:34 AM]
I had no idea anyone would notice that, but during the playtesting session I did with 3-4 other people in the server the whole time, multiple people commented on the plasma dead end being annoying

joe-ilya — Today at 9:34 AM
Sure thing then, I never played online with my maps

Doomkid — Today at 9:34 AM
I can't help but wonder if Mr Rocket got his wires crossed like I did about the plasma and RL(edited)
[9:35 AM]
an RL that you can get and then be right back out in the field in a total of 1 second doesn't seem bad at all to me personally(edited)

joe-ilya — Today at 9:36 AM
Why doesn't jumping to the plasma gun from the other side negate the whole dead-end issue?

Doomkid — Today at 9:37 AM
because that makes it a one-way street
[9:37 AM]
going down the stairs into that plasma tunnel SHOULD be a good escape from combat in the open.. but it isn't
it just guarantees you get cornered
multiple paths in DM is always preferable to "one way only"

joe-ilya — Today at 9:38 AM
I intended it to just be a spot for a weapon and not a navigational area, but I guess it just tricks ppl into a dead end.

Doomkid — Today at 9:39 AM
That was the experience we had when playtesting it

joe-ilya — Today at 9:39 AM
I'd add an instafloor there, that's an easy fix.

Perfect solution imo

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

Great map as usual from you CT, has a STRONG "2004 ZDaemon era" vibe to it which is a good thing.

So how many slots are still open? Regarding the 15 maps for Dwango22 that I passed on to this project, I think 8, 9, 12, 13 and 15 could definitely be scrapped (either because they're already used or are just below the curve), but I'd hope to see the rest joining the party. I think we must be at least pretty close to 30 by now, is that right?

Also I talked to Joe about the edited versions of his maps. He seemed to like them other than a couple points. Trying to convince him that the plasma dead-end is frustrating took some effort, but he seemed to come around. (Just posting our convo here since Joe is not able to post on Doomworld)

Reveal hidden contents   Reveal hidden contents

joe-ilya — Today at 9:10 AM

The BFG spot in MAP02 is now unbalanced because of the raised windowsills that make getting the BFG too easy and provides unneeded cover. I'm also not sure what's so bad about the RL spot, as it can be jumped from the other side

Doomkid — Today at 9:14 AM

The RL spot is a dead end, and that's bad in DM pretty much universally

I didn't realize the BFG setup had been altered though

A simple teleport or staircase could easily fix the dead end though

joe-ilya — Today at 9:16 AM

If the dead end is for a powerful weapon, I think it's justified

Doomkid — Today at 9:16 AM

Literally everyone else will hate that lol

[9:17 AM]

shame to have an otherwise really nice layout have a fucky bit like that

joe-ilya — Today at 9:17 AM

I think an instafloor would be preferable to the top of the pool.(edited)

Doomkid — Today at 9:18 AM

Oh wait, you mean the pool? that's no problem

D'oh, I was thinking of the Plasma dead end this whole time(edited)

I'm sure that's what Mr Rocket meant too.. The pool is totally fine as is(edited)

joe-ilya — Today at 9:19 AM

He was talking about RL tho

Doomkid — Today at 9:19 AM

He's wrong then lol

[9:19 AM]

The RL is fine, it's the Plasma dead end that's actually frustrating

joe-ilya — Today at 9:20 AM

It's for extra BFG ammo pretty much, I gotta make it somewhat punishing I feel(edited)

BFG is in quite an easy spot anyway

Doomkid — Today at 9:20 AM

TBH, maybe swap the BFG and Plasma position in that case?

Then I could agree the dead end makes total strategic sense

[9:21 AM]

Plus it wouldn't be as "brazen" as the current BFG placement

[9:26 AM]

Plus fix whatever was messed up about the windows during OpenRift's conversion lol (didnt notice that til now)

joe-ilya — Today at 9:28 AM

People don't take the plasma gun as often as BFG, and as you said it's a frustrating spot, I want players to use it on rare occasions as when they exhaust all their initial BFG cells.

Doomkid — Today at 9:31 AM

It was annoying when I played the map, but "don't go here" sections in DM maps always rub me that way

I just want to point it out because maps with stuff like that can piss people off enough to be server killers

it's your decision, but I want you to know out the gate that most people will have a distinctly "ugh" reaction to that lol

joe-ilya — Today at 9:33 AM

mr rocket didn't like the RL spot, so I'm not sure, maybe everyone will have a unique peeve about the map(edited)

Doomkid — Today at 9:33 AM

The RL thing is really minor, it's basically just a circle

[9:34 AM]

I had no idea anyone would notice that, but during the playtesting session I did with 3-4 other people in the server the whole time, multiple people commented on the plasma dead end being annoying

joe-ilya — Today at 9:34 AM

Sure thing then, I never played online with my maps

Doomkid — Today at 9:34 AM

I can't help but wonder if Mr Rocket got his wires crossed like I did about the plasma and RL(edited)

[9:35 AM]

an RL that you can get and then be right back out in the field in a total of 1 second doesn't seem bad at all to me personally(edited)

joe-ilya — Today at 9:36 AM

Why doesn't jumping to the plasma gun from the other side negate the whole dead-end issue?

Doomkid — Today at 9:37 AM

because that makes it a one-way street

going down the stairs into that plasma tunnel SHOULD be a good escape from combat in the open.. but it isn't

it just guarantees you get cornered

multiple paths in DM is always preferable to "one way only"

joe-ilya — Today at 9:38 AM

I intended it to just be a spot for a weapon and not a navigational area, but I guess it just tricks ppl into a dead end.

That was the experience we had when playtesting it

joe-ilya — Today at 9:39 AM

I'd add an instafloor there, that's an easy fix.

Perfect solution imo

I'm actually working on updating Map12, it's turning out a lot better I think. It's the latest map added to the WAD, which is MAP24 as of writing.

image.png.cded254c3a1c820f3af138ecefc502e7.png