Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

[Now on /idgames!!!] TWANGO1 - Vanilla DM for the Modern Age

@NieMaMordy

Hasn't it always been misaligned?

We can't modify sprite offsets unless we put replacement sprites in or add them as additional sprites and access them with dehacked.

Doomkid did make a good little cosmetic improvement with the dehacked by simply shortening the duration of the muzzle flash frames.   Normally in doom2.exe you still see part of the gun pointed forward with the flash at the same time as a lifted frame of the reload.

@OpenRift

Well double D's are very good.

Might want to check your intermission text for a typo after map20.   Says Sk4.   Maybe you meant Sky4?   Still doesn't make much sense.   Just make sure any modified patch loads alright back into dehacked again.

Map27 Dethmatch Temple seems like it should play better now.   I would change the megasphere to either a soulsphere or blue armor though.   Megas seem kinda ridiculous for deathmatch, especially on lower skills where weapons hurt the players less.

Map31 D5M4 Redux doesn't have the difficulties for ammo and cell weapons implemented.

EDIT: Put this in twangoks.wad with skills 1-3 edited appropriately.

Anyway, here's an update from me and I think I'm all good for RC1.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/egmxxzt8gzoaq6e/twangoks.wad/file

Updated zmapinfo and mapinfo to make sky2 (episode 4 sky) slowly scroll for the maps that use it in ZDoom ports.

Tried to do it in emapinfo with skydelta but the results were not smooth so forget that.

Some good improvements to map19 Interdimansia and feeling better about it.  Took a cue from Hellbent and implemented a trick he uses in map08 BrownWar and used some of DCG Retrowave's textures seen in map25 Sadistic.  I know I got carried away with the scale but it's a little hard to do anything about that now aside from the teleporters and passageways I added.   It's just going to be a larger wandering hunting map opposed to the smaller vicious fragfests to change things up.   A good frantic small map comes immediately after it.

I'm really liking how this whole megawad is coming together now.   Seems like a good mix of stuff that doesn't often happen.

Edited by Gokuma

One problem with map24,

Spoiler

image.png.4628dad2183fc18b8f37c99b434c0cf0.png

There shouldn't be a spawn inside this room.

Other then that well done on making it this far!

@IggySqiggles

Do you approve of these changes?

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ug98ffpvouq1a5y/tmap24b.wad/file

Moved that one start out of that room to center room by a SSG.   Added a start with shotgun and shell box at big dead end.   Added another start on top of big crate where they could drop forward and grab shotgun+box or drop backwards and go for plasma in corner.  7 DM starts total.   Bunch of textures aligned all over.   Floor texture on top of some big crates changed to appropriate color cratop but players would never be up that high to see anyway.   Added player starts 2,3,4 for the heck of it.

Edited by Gokuma

Look at whether it's a DM start or Coop 1,2,3,4 start.   Only DM starts matter.   There's seven spaced apart throughout the map.  Redownload for more texture alignment done.   Added a missing texture on back of a switch.

Moved northern chainsaw to the left out of the way so you're not forced to pick it up and switch to it when running behind the big crates.    Mandatory switch to chainsaw or fist during a deathmatch would really frustrate people.

UPDATE:  Did some cleaning up.   All missing textures fixed.   Should appear the same but cleaned up several sectors.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ug98ffpvouq1a5y/tmap24b.wad/file

Edited by Gokuma

Ok so here's MrTwango and MrCrunchy..

These are finally considered final versions:

MrTWANGO.zip 

MrCRUNCHY.zip

Let me know if you find any issues, they should be good though!

p.s.. please move MrCrunchy closer to the middle if possible.

Maybe put it somewhere just after Cpt. Toenail's maps. ;)

It's sort of a transition map anyway.

p.s.s.. I might do another map, if I do I'll call it Mr.Smooth :P

~ will be another small map, if there's a place for it in the Mega, then cool.

~ there will be a new texture, based on the crate top as a wall texture.

~ the map will be circular shaped, cut up like a pie, with several corners with white lights.

~ yes it may have multiple exit switches.. :D

Thanks, Cheers!

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Found tutti fruiti.   Short graypois was used on tall walls and had a vertical offset in the loaded room in map24 Streets so fixed it in that tmap24b.wad. 

OR

Here's another version of rev DD with practically all of the above if that's alright?:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qfm78vlvckv7ipe/TWANGO1_tripleD.zip/file

Includes updated map19 Interdimansia

Fixed up map24 Streets

Updates of map02 Mr. Twango and current map29 Mr. Crunchy included.   (Switched uses of twangom to twango1 again).

(The 128x128 Twango was named Twango1 in the megawad long ago.)

Changed megasphere in map27 Dethmatch Temple to soulsphere.

Map31 D5M4 edited for no cell stuff on easy and no ammo on medium.

Zmapinfo and mapinfo have sky2 (tiling episode 4 sky)  slowly scrolling for any map that uses it in ZDoom ports.

I have not done the following:

Messed with dehacked intermission text for after map20 which may have a typo and doesn't quite make sense.

Changed any map order.   This requires editing the dehacked, switching the cwilv gfx, switching the music, and editing four different mapinfos.

Maps19 and 20 must stay where they're at.   Maps04,20, and 32 have demos recorded with them, so they must stay where they are and not be modified at all or the demos will break and desync.

If you noclip around map17, you can see several missing textures.   You won't see them missing during normal play but it's good to still put something there.

I need to get some sleep now.

Edited by Gokuma

17 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

I noticed that muzzle flash frame in SSG is misaligned with the rest of the gun. Do you guys see it too?

That's a vanilla thing. It was always there. Some source ports do fix it by default though.

12 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Found tutti fruiti.   Short graypois was used on tall walls and had a vertical offset in the loaded room in map24 Streets so fixed it in that tmap24b.wad. 

OR

Here's another version of rev DD with practically all of the above if that's alright?:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qfm78vlvckv7ipe/TWANGO1_tripleD.zip/file

Includes updated map19 Interdimansia

Fixed up map24 Streets

Updates of map02 Mr. Twango and current map29 Mr. Crunchy included.   (Switched uses of twangom to twango1 again).

(The 128x128 Twango was named Twango1 in the megawad long ago.)

Changed megasphere in map27 Dethmatch Temple to soulsphere.

Map31 D5M4 edited for no cell stuff on easy and no ammo on medium.

Zmapinfo and mapinfo have sky2 (tiling episode 4 sky)  slowly scrolling for any map that uses it in ZDoom ports.

I have not done the following:

Messed with dehacked intermission text for after map20 which may have a typo and doesn't quite make sense.

Changed any map order.   This requires editing the dehacked, switching the cwilv gfx, switching the music, and editing four different mapinfos.

Maps19 and 20 must stay where they're at.   Maps04,20, and 32 have demos recorded with them, so they must stay where they are and not be modified at all or the demos will break and desync.

If you noclip around map17, you can see several missing textures.   You won't see them missing during normal play but it's good to still put something there.

I need to get some sleep now.

Thanks a bunch, I'll fix up the intertext. Essentially what it's supposed to mean is that doomguy finds himself walking through an endless void occupied only by the sky4 texture. Like, imagine this but with SKY4.

image.png.12397111907d1173cf0b3b17d78a76c4.png

5 hours ago, OpenRift said:

Release Candidate 1 is out now! See the updated OP for details and the download!

Congrats! it was nice to finally participate a playtest event. :)

Congrats to everyone on the release! 

Making maps for this has been a blast and I'm happy I could contribute! :D

Congrats to everyone equally the same!

I had a lot of fun making a couple maps for this as well!

Is there going to be a TWANGO2 mega wad?

1 hour ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Congrats to everyone equally the same!

I had a lot of fun making a couple maps for this as well!

Is there going to be a TWANGO2 mega wad?

At some point yes. For now, we're just going to make small revisions to TWANGO1 with each release candidate before submitting it to idgames. After that, we'll take a break for a bit.

But I'm thinking for the next TWANGO WAD, I wanna make a deathmatch megawad for Heretic, because Heretic deserve more quality DM maps. I don't care how niche it is, Heretic is really fun in deathmatch.

I had fun with Heretic DM back in the day, well a little later in the day. Though, well nothing can ever beat Doom, so there's that.

Although I understand the Heretic love..

This means that TWANGO 3 is a thing. maybe :P

Edited by Mr.Rocket

1 hour ago, Mr.Rocket said:

I had fun with Heretic DM back in the day, well a little later in the day. Though, well nothing can ever beat Doom, so there's that.

Although I understand the Heretic love..

This means that TWANGO 3 is a thing. maybe :P

One day, perhaps ;)

35 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

When we get to Twango5, we gotta ask Tango for permission to use his map01.

I fully expect a rendition of Lou Bega's Mambo No 5 as reimagined as a MIDI piece called ''Twango no5'' to play during Deathmatches.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is Twango Number Five

One, two, three, four, five
Everybody in the WAD, so come on, let's ride
To the gun store around the corner
The boys say they want some guns and juice
But I really don't wanna
Beer bust like I had last week
I must stay deep because talk is cheap

I like Angela, Pamela, Sandra and Rita
And as I continue you know they getting sweeter
So what can I do? I really beg you, my Lord
To me is flirting it's just like sport, anything fly
It's all good, let me dump it, please set in the trumpet (DOOT!)

A little bit of DoomGuy in my life
A little bit of Zombieman by my side
A little bit of Hell Knight is all I need
A little bit of Mancubi is what I see
A little bit of Lost Souls in the sun
A little bit of Revenant all night long
A little bit of Cyberdemon, here I am
A little bit of you makes me your man

Twango Number Five

2 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I fully expect a rendition of Lou Bega's Mambo No 5 as reimagined as a MIDI piece called ''Twango no5'' to play during Deathmatches.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is Twango Number Five

One, two, three, four, five
Everybody in the WAD, so come on, let's ride
To the gun store around the corner
The boys say they want some guns and juice
But I really don't wanna
Beer bust like I had last week
I must stay deep because talk is cheap

I like Angela, Pamela, Sandra and Rita
And as I continue you know they getting sweeter
So what can I do? I really beg you, my Lord
To me is flirting it's just like sport, anything fly
It's all good, let me dump it, please set in the trumpet (DOOT!)

A little bit of DoomGuy in my life
A little bit of Zombieman by my side
A little bit of Hell Knight is all I need
A little bit of Mancubi is what I see
A little bit of Lost Souls in the sun
A little bit of Revenant all night long
A little bit of Cyberdemon, here I am
A little bit of you makes me your man

Twango Number Five

Sounds like good intermission music :P

On 4/19/2021 at 4:20 AM, OpenRift said:

But I'm thinking for the next TWANGO WAD, I wanna make a deathmatch megawad for Heretic, because Heretic deserve more quality DM maps. I don't care how niche it is, Heretic is really fun in deathmatch.

A vanilla heretic megawad sounds awesome!

6 hours ago, IggySqiggles said:

Twango3.wad - Vanilla deathmatch for 

Hide contents

Chex Quest

It's funny, I was actually thinking about this. Because believe it or not, but you can do vanilla deathmatch in Chex Quest on DOS/DOSBox by renaming Chex.exe to Doom.exe and having Ultimate Doom's IPX driver in the same directory. Only thing is there's issues with the deathmatch scoreboard that causes a crash. Though it seems to be a drawpatch error, so it could be fixed with a PWAD ;)

I say keep Deathmatch the same if at all possible, at least for the TWANGO project, remember your roots! ;)

15 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

I say keep Deathmatch the same if at all possible, at least for the TWANGO project, remember your roots! ;)

Yep. That's the idea.

Do you guys know what’s left before release? Just curious, I want to give this a proper spin some time. Impressive how fast all the maps were created and assembled, we should get it on idgames!

3 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Do you guys know what’s left before release? Just curious, I want to give this a proper spin some time. Impressive how fast all the maps were created and assembled, we should get it on idgames!

I'm working on some last few tweaks based on feedback I've gotten from USDQC's Wednesday Night Deathmatch. I think after that it should be ready for the final version. Like I added in the updated OP, feedback is still welcome (don't ask for anything super dramatic though :P).

In RC2, Texture below the RL catwalk in Mr.Crunchy for some reason became mis-aligned.

I compared it to the version I sent you last night and the version I sent doesn't have the issue.

Please verify!

It's not a game breaker but it is pretty visible lol.

Thanks 

9 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

In RC2, Texture below the RL catwalk in Mr.Crunchy for some reason became mis-aligned.

I compared it to the version I sent you last night and the version I sent doesn't have the issue.

Please verify!

It's not a game breaker but it is pretty visible lol.

Thanks 

Yeah, I see it. I'll fix that after Sunday's competition.