Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

[Now on /idgames!!!] TWANGO1 - Vanilla DM for the Modern Age

You mean midspace vs midrails on @Captain Toenail's map21 Bunker Buster?   At first I thought it was supposed to have the midrails version, but I noticed it's a single rail floating in the air not connected to anything.   So then I checked the wad he uploaded and it had plain old midspace.   I think the version replacing midspace which I've renamed midrails came with map03 Menace.   Currently I have just that map03 and 24 Interdimansia using it, while 10, 21, and 22 use midspace.  Midrails would work just as well in map22 though.

Ah, damn the Reggae Birthday Death March is too short at 1:07 and Addams Family isn't too great at 1:22.   Three Stooges is a really bad idea at only 19 seconds.   Ok, I gotta pick something else out. 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/21ucjhb6e2ow8qa/map31mus.wad/file

Just a wad of five different tracks.

Dead Kennedys - Police Truck replacing map31 music

Two River City Ransom and Two Double Dragon tracks sitting there as alternates.

All currently midi.   Double Dragon stage 1 would need to be converted to mus.  The other four work fine in doom2.exe.

Didn't notice that twango_cb is nine characters.   I had to type twango~2.wad on the prompt as twango~1 was running some older version for me.

EDIT: Reuploaded twango_b and twangocb with DK-Police truck as the map31 music with the other working midis below it.   RCR also goes well with D5-04Redux due to the checkered floor I think.

Edited by Gokuma

I just did some playtesting with version Cb with some other players over DOSBox, it was a blast.

Only issues were as follows.

• @Gokuma Silenced Lamasery and Interdimensia are a little bit too big and need to be tapered down a bit.
  • @Doomkid Rebel Vodka's map wasn't very popular, they weren't really a fan of the layout, sorry :/

Maybe not have Lamasery and Interdimansia back to back, to change the pace up more.   When I converted Lamasery to Doom, I increased the width of some spots because it was cramped for maneuvering, and added two reasonable rooms.   I have easy-to-find passageways and teleporters to speed up traversing Interdimansia.  Did you record any demos?

Ok with Redead-ITA and Joe_Ilya's permission and Redead-ITA's advice:  Here's the combined Server Room on Fire incorporating Big Brown Box and expanded a bit.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o3c6w0o87u9ewfb/tmap11.wad/file

Replaces map11 (tech base theme) and has cwilv10 in there updated for it.

I guess the map29 Server Room on Fire music would be the more fitting but map11 music could work too.

Map33 and on in this wad are just the original maps and various stages of the combination for backup reasons while I worked.

2 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Maybe not have Lamasery and Interdimansia back to back, to change the pace up more.   When I converted Lamasery to Doom, I increased the width of some spots because it was cramped for maneuvering, and added two reasonable rooms.   I have easy-to-find passageways and teleporters to speed up traversing Interdimansia.  Did you record any demos?

Not yet, I should've though. I'm probably gonna do that on my next test run.

Interdimansia needs the tiling sky, but maybe Lamasery would be good for the last map that gets sky2 or any sky 2 slot.   I think it's alright to have a couple larger maps, but they should be spaced apart.   I guess Dimansia is the larger one.  I did have in mind peeking out of doorways and sending rockets down the halls when I made it so I put a few good spots to do that.

Edited by Gokuma

I don't know but it turns out you can have water instead of blood.   The added Wfall* textures animate fine.   Apparently in alpha stages of Doom's development they programmed it but cut out the texture.    Just learned this thanks to Doomkid.

Water would give better contrast against the sky.

Edited by Gokuma

1 hour ago, Gokuma said:

Ok with Redead-ITA and Joe_Ilya's permission and Redead-ITA's advice:  Here's the combined Server Room on Fire incorporating Big Brown Box and expanded a bit.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o3c6w0o87u9ewfb/tmap11.wad/file

Replaces map11 (tech base theme) and has cwilv10 in there updated for it.

I guess the map29 Server Room on Fire music would be the more fitting but map11 music could work too.

Map33 and on in this wad are just the original maps and various stages of the combination for backup reasons while I worked.

So what were your plans again for replacing the original Server Room on Fire? Because right now that's in the Big Brown Box Slot.

The new map Server Room on Fire+Big Brown Box is all tech base theme so I thought it should take the map11 slot of Big Brown Box.   Two of the smallest maps have more room and depth as one and now map29 or however things may shift a bit is now open for Mr.Rocket's Mr.Crunchy which has a theme suitable for somewhere after the tech base stuff.   A few problems there solved with one move.

Redead-ITA liked a joke I was thinking of putting in so check out this version:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/3rhluiiei8xqp7a/tmap11b.wad/file

This is a new texture wad with two more textures added and then just map11 and its music replaced.   So you can run this wad by itself to see it.

Put a joke somewhere in his original server room area, and in the new server area I put a new version of his drawn Twango with some more shading depth and made into a big comp texture.

Edited by Gokuma

@OpenRift Since map20 is using different skybox now, can you change all blood floors and bloodfall textures in it to water in the newest version? I'd do it myself, but I don't want to post a new version if you guys are working on a new one.

OpenRift might have changed the things since.   But I already did it quick just to see how it looks so here's just the map by itself.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vhsnwvbvh4oau6c/tmap20.wad/file

Of course an easy way I've reincorporated map changes with things changes before is I just swap the things entry of the 11 entries making up the map.

Alternate version:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/3vedxgklfa8mlot/tmap20b.wad/file

I noticed a bigdoor raises disappearing into the sky.   I fixed it by adding a couple thin sectors and made it a quick lift that goes down into the ground instead.   Tested in doom2.exe and used DB's visplane viewer.

This map also needs a tiling sky.   I wonder if Doomkid put this as map20 as a conclusion to the episode 2 sky since I said it feels like you're on top of the Tower of Babel and I like that idea but the mountain sky doesn't tile.  Doesn't look right in doom2.exe or zandronum.   So I think this should be map21 to be the first map with the tiling skinface sky (so it's still close enough to ending Doom 2's second "episode"), while make Lamasery map20 to get the mountain sky and space it away from Interdimansia.   Put the current map21 as map23 or shift things further.   Then Lamasery is kinda like the large epic map like Spawning Vats just before the Tower of Babel.   The intermission text for ending map20, could be some kinda intro to Engine 3000 such as "You wonder what's atop the Tower of Babel..."

Here's the door before I fixed it in tmap20b version and sky repeating when just going up to the border of the map:

skydoor.jpg.18b058935e71d06863a69dbb0641f6d9.jpgskynottiled.jpg.40ba80c2d22a583a12212c5e2e675749.jpg
Fixed Door partially open on its way back up and closed.

doorfixed2.jpg.8dbf9f26d4030fe81fdc97d82b9639d0.jpgdoorfixed1.jpg.ccb736ad633fd3fd6175d167961fd72a.jpg

Edited by Gokuma

Here's the latest version of how I combined Server Room on Fire and Big Brown Box.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/3rhluiiei8xqp7a/tmap11b.wad/file

Should open up and flow better with less obtrusion and bumpiness.   And increased some dimensions.

This is still a standalone wad runnable by itself including the textures (two were added as I said before)

Joe saw an older version and didn't like it so he quick made his own combination.   Well here's his response:

I don't like how you combined the maps, the extra rooms that you added are not good for deathmatch, the spiral staircase is unnecessarily dark and bumpy and is connected with a 64 unit-wide door, and the room behind the crusher windows serves no purpose and is cramped, the pickups are also not adjusted; so there's two rocket launchers, two berserk packs and two green armours.

I took the liberty to combine the two maps my way, with a completely different approach; stitched ITA's map from a different side to compliment the two height elevations in both maps, made ITA's map wider to make movement pleasant, removed the useless window to streamline the already very open map, did some clean-up in ITA's map by making it less bumpy and distracting by getting rid of as much clutter as possible.
And adjusted the items along with the spawns.

http://doomshack.org/uploads/tm11joe.zip

I already resolved several of those issues in the current tmap11b.wad.   Didn't do much with thing placement because I know OpenRift is doing a lot of adjusting there.   I did make sure there's no more than ten DM starts and spaced them out more, aside from adding things in new parts.   Changed berserk in the exit to chainsaw.   One in Server Room is out of the way enough that you have to go for it.   Green Armors seem fine.  Maybe the one inside could be moved, changed, or deleted.   Switched the Plasma Rifle and Rocket Launcher inside so that Plasma is harder to get and the RL's are a bit farther apart.   Also switched one energy cell and one box of rockets.  I had actually added a second plasma rifle on the other side of the map with the additional room, so that's still there for now.  He didn't mention the plasma rifles.

In Joe's version I think he rather gutted Redead-ITA's portion and cut too much detail.   One good bit of added detail with pipes maybe I could fit into the other version somewhere.

Edited by Gokuma

Hi, still here.. been busy work etc..

I see that Mr.Crunchy likely can't make it in, and that's ok if it cant.. there's tons of material and it is expected.

I ran in to some small set backs with Mr.Crunchy with HOM/VPO but fixed it. I had too much detail in the central area of the map and had remove it to keep things rolling.. even though, it was just a detail it doesn't sacrifice playability of course and can't wait to play it, whether this version, next version or single release. ;)

All is good and not forgotten. ;)

Will release it in a few days!

Happy Easter! 

Made room for your Mr. Crunchy by combining Server Room on Fire and Big Brown Box into one map.

Mr.Crunchy, even though a small map tends to try to exceed VPO limitations, so combining it, i donno yet, might be a little excessive.

EDIT ~ if possible i'm totally with it though. ;)

No, your map would be its own.   I already combined the two smallest maps (well smallest after Quad Goal but that's out of rotation at map32) into one to free up a map slot for your Mr. Crunchy by itself.   But anyway, it does have to have the visplanes under control for this wad.

yeah, i haven't released/uploaded the map yet though so it's hard to say how things may* unfold yet. :\

~ i'm hoping there will be a good place between base and hell style concept levels ;)

~ I can tell you now that it is a small level, maybe as small as Mr.Twango. which suggests should be fitting with early levels, maybe? 

mid-par level 7 maybe i'm not sure, I have to go over the the mega again actually as well. ;)

~ yeah something like that, but again, it's whatever you guys decide.

- I'd like to upload it but I have to delete some shit.. I'll try and get it on my google drive in the morning?

here's alpha version: 

Is totally playable in vanilla Doom2.

Try and get the Soulsphere, btw.. I tried to make it so it's not easy to get, especially if your going for the BFG. :P 

Edited by Mr.Rocket

1 hour ago, Mr.Rocket said:

yeah, i haven't released/uploaded the map yet though so it's hard to say how things may* unfold yet. :\

~ i'm hoping there will be a good place between base and hell style concept levels ;)

~ I can tell you now that it is a small level, maybe as small as Mr.Twango. which suggests should be fitting with early levels, maybe? 

mid-par level 7 maybe i'm not sure, I have to go over the the mega again actually as well. ;)

~ yeah something like that, but again, it's whatever you guys decide.

- I'd like to upload it but I have to delete some shit.. I'll try and get it on my google drive in the morning?

here's alpha version: MrCRUNCH.zip

Is totally playable in vanilla Doom2.

Try and get the Soulsphere, btw.. I tried to make it so it's not easy to get, especially if your going for the BFG. :P 

Great stuff so far, I would suggest having a little more variety in the textures though.

yeah it's an alpha man :P

visuals for the lifts, like the silver support textures, a few lights in the doorways, and of course Twango posters..

Maybe a couple light sprites if there's a place for them. and you know the map might even change some heh.

The offset hallways for the plasma and RL I want to be dark and maybe have some sector lighting in them, just not sure how far vop will let me go with it, it's why there's a lot if plan Jane atm. 

~ I did have, what looked like an explosion in the central area, sector based, but VPO didn't like it so I had to remove it. it looked cool. ~ was tempted to make 2 versions of the map..  still have a back up.

I'm focused on the over all flow and game play aspect than cosmetics at the moment though, but I'm with ya man. ;)

That said, I'm wanting to shorten those walls there that have the BRNSMALC textures to avoid stumping toes, etc. 

But I've got to get up in 5 hours heh.. night

Happy Easter all! ;)

Edited by Mr.Rocket

(UGH EDIT: TRYING to listen)  Listening to Joe_Ilya's advice, I think I've made some good improvements on Server Fire.    Final colors of some parts not decided on.   Added at least two more comp textures and two more tech flats.  (EDIT: colored better like I was thinking and made more textures and a smooth marble flat.  I think the map is pretty sweet now.)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/95rvj8jnbt8zsjc/tmega11.wad/file

Can run by itself.   Hid another joke in it (a tamer one).

Edited by Gokuma

1 hour ago, Gokuma said:

Listening to Joe_Ilya's advice, I think I've made some good improvements on Server Fire.    Final colors of some parts not decided on.   Added at least two more comp textures and two more tech flats.

Can run by itself.   Hid another joke in it (a tamer one).

Good progress, I'm likin' it.

OK current map edits:

If more thing changes were done since Rev C version b, that things entry can simply be swapped above the rest of the map data below the map## header.

Current texture resources and Map11: Server Room on Fire (combined with Big Brown Box and additions by me)

Closer to being finished and got some nice polishing here or there.   More structure for better flow.   And more vantage points to send rockets at or shotgun blast players going for the BFG.   Should make for some hilarious interceptions as someone thinks they're about to grab their most coveted gun.

Not about to slap my name on the credit, even though I've added more sectors than the original two maps were combined.

But there's currently two cwilv10's in the wad depending on what Joe decides.

The current one still says By Redead-ITA and Joe_Ilya.

Not currently used is cwilv10n saying Redead-ITA & Frankenstitchers

Also might want to check out some replacement sounds in this wad.

As posted some days ago: Fixed the door in Engine 3000 so doesn't go up into the sky and changed the blood back to water like NieMaMordy wanted.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/3vedxgklfa8mlot/tmap20b.wad/file

Didn't do much more to Interdimansia but squashed a slime trail where doom2.exe didn't like the position of a corner of a red brick.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/y49438g2iknj2ax/tmap24.wad/file

I still suggesting moving 23 Lamasery to map20 to use sky2.   Map20 Engine 3000 to map21 to use sky3.

Then you have to move map21 Bunker Buster to 22 or 23   That leaves map22 Warp Routine either still at 22 or move it to 23.

That's if maps aren't rearranged further.   But it's important that Engine 3000 gets a tiling sky, and it would be good for Lamasery to get the mountain sky2 AND be spaced apart from Interdimansia in the ordering so we don't have two big wandering hunting maps in a row.

Edited by Gokuma

If you guys are still searching for new weapon sounds, I've made a wad with some cool sounds that I found a while ago, so maybe there will be something here that you like. shot.zip

@Gokuma I like this new change with doors in my map. Making it an elevator instead of a door is a great idea! I changed it slightly, so it looks better in my books. tmap20c.zip