Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gutnose

'Hell-Deep In the Flesh' a 1993 Doom Music Re-shape

Hey all, came here to share my cover version of Bobby Prince's 1993 Doom Soundtrack (https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Doom_music)

The way I experienced the soundtrack back in the 90's was with the OPL Soundblaster version, this and Streets of Rage 2 were my favorite game soundtracks, legendary and hugely influential.

I recently got a hold of ADLplug (https://github.com/jpcima/ADLplug) which is an synthesizer vst emulation of the OPL chip. I loaded up the Doom Midi's and I was in heaven because it sounds pretty spot on. I then got the idea to load up other vst synths instead of using ADL to play it back, and thus 'Hell-Deep In the Flesh' was born.

I think I did a fairly decent job in staying faithful to the original vibe, while imparting my own little spin to it. All praises due to Bobby Prince and the metal bands that he borrowed swag from, lol.

Music to blast demons to:

https://gutnose.bandcamp.com/album/hell-deep-in-the-flesh

Hope you enjoy this, thanks.

-

Edit: 3/24/21

The great Dwimepon has placed the OST inside the DOOM.wad! Link below and in Dwimepon's post.

Hell-Deep In the Flesh OST.WAD

Edited by gutnose : Post update

Listening to Hell Deep in the Flesh. It's hypnotic and eerie and quite enjoyable. Kudos!

I'm giving it a listen right now and woah, it sounds great. Just like ReX said, it's very hypnotic, and overall it's so different and unexpected from the rest of the Doom soundtrack cover.

Every tracks feels more ambient and less agressive and yet there's a distinct, almost techno feel to the whole thing. It reminds me of a subtler Yuzo Koshiro OST, which makes sense considering you said you love the SOR2 soundtrack. It's just great, congrats!

I can definitely see myself making a .wad out of it and playing Doom 1 again with this album, one day.

On 3/9/2021 at 6:31 PM, Dwimepon said:

I'm giving it a listen right now and woah, it sounds great. Just like ReX said, it's very hypnotic, and overall it's so different and unexpected from the rest of the Doom soundtrack cover.

Every tracks feels more ambient and less agressive and yet there's a distinct, almost techno feel to the whole thing. It reminds me of a subtler Yuzo Koshiro OST, which makes sense considering you said you love the SOR2 soundtrack. It's just great, congrats!

I can definitely see myself making a .wad out of it and playing Doom 1 again with this album, one day.

Hell yeah, very happy to hear this! Thanks!

I've heard some of the covers, some really add a lot to the original like Hulshult's IDKFA, for me, I just stayed within the guidelines while imparting my own twist. 

The lofi aspect of it def rounds the edges a bit.

.wad idea sound rad. Maybe I should look into distributing these inside a .wad? I would need some direction though :)

On 3/10/2021 at 8:52 AM, Rudolph said:

Doom II cover when? :D

Actually started off this whole 'cover the amazing Robert Prince Doom music' journey with 'The Dave D. Taylor Blues' from Doom II. Originally was only gonna do my favorites from each game but I then told myself "alright let's go ahead and do the entire Doom 1 soundtrack." 

Probably will do Doom II at some point... no plans, however if there's enough interest from the community.. it can happen sooner than later :)

5 hours ago, gutnose said:

.wad idea sound rad. Maybe I should look into distributing these inside a .wad? I would need some direction though :)

It's extremely simple. You just need to create a new .wad file using SLADE3 or any Doom resource editor, drag-and-drop your songs into it and rename every song based on the "MUS" column of the songs in this page. I can even do it for you later if you want to!

9 hours ago, Dwimepon said:

It's extremely simple. You just need to create a new .wad file using SLADE3 or any Doom resource editor, drag-and-drop your songs into it and rename every song based on the "MUS" column of the songs in this page. I can even do it for you later if you want to!

If you'd want to, that would be fine with me! It's free to download in multiple formats from bandcamp!

Thanks

54 minutes ago, gutnose said:

If you'd want to, that would be fine with me! It's free to download in multiple formats from bandcamp!

Thanks

There you go!

5 hours ago, Dwimepon said:

☝️

Amazing! Tried it using gzdoom, works like a charm!

Big Thanks Dwimepon! 🍻

Do you mind if I update the original post with a link to your .wad?

No problem, knock yourself out! Since it only replaces the music and nothing else, it should work on any source port with ogg support, too. (So pretty much every single one of them).

I'm listening to At Doom's Gate, and the guitars sound really quiet compared to the drums. Is it meant to sound that way? Otherwise it sounds great.

4 hours ago, NoXion said:

I'm listening to At Doom's Gate, and the guitars sound really quiet compared to the drums. Is it meant to sound that way? Otherwise it sounds great.

4 hours ago, NoXion said:

The Imp's Song sounds perfect though, groovy and spooky.

Some things are quiet or loud in comparison for sure, I know I def wanted the drums to hit a certain way!

Appreciate your feedback, Thanks for listening!