Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jval

ENDEDIT - ENDSCREEN editor

By Daisy! I'm filled with awe any time I see another one of these lovely applications you seem to be churning out at exponentially increasing pace! Thank you so much for sharing! I'm marking my calendar to check in in a few days and see what gorgeous new invention you will have bestowed on us!

Stop it.

Stop it.

STOP IT.

Seriously what on Earth are you doing. We can't even discuss one program's thread or you are making a new program.

This is actually once again hugely useful, not just for ENDDOOM but also colored  ASCII ART in general. The ability to convert an image over to a text screen and have that be an ENDOOM screen is incredibly useful for artists.

A question though:

• The Generated in A Couple Minutes one seems insanely fast, even for ASCII art. Are you that fast?

53 minutes ago, jval said:

Why I did this?

I wanted to add an ENDOOM screen in my Doom Snake mod a few days ago, but I didn't managed to find something easy to use or easy to run (DOSBOX etc).

Hold up! This is one i can actually present some alternatives for:

Weren't those easy to use?

Edited by Redneckerz

• You made the Doom logo with a single paste command. Did you just import a picture/photo file and filled converted it over, or/

I copy/paste it from google images. When pasting a dialog opens and asks for a method to use to convert the image:

image.png.d69b6f3e0e7d3aeea78d72b61a3b85d1.png

I choose the "Use Extended Special Characters" option. So it is literally copy/paste.

When selecting the "Use Extended Special Characters"  the image is not only rendered in the background as a flat 80x25 bitmap, but the program calculates nearest colors depending on special characters that actually improve detail (also letters can have 16 colors, not only 8). So, this is the result.

• The Generated in A Couple Minutes one seems insanely fast, even for ASCII art. Are you that fast?

The snake image is copy/pasted (using the dithering option), for text rectangles there are tools to do the job, you do not enter one by one the extended ascii that form the rect. Text typing is done directly to the image, like an editor with arrows, page up/down, home/end movement and delete and backspace to erase the previously typed text.

Hold up! This is one i can actually present some alternatives for:

Weren't those easy to use?

In fact the first thing I checked was SLADE3, but it didn't  had a build-in editor for ENDOOM:)

I had found the first 2, but I didn't tried the first (network/community oriented? - got confused, closed sourced, no portable//zip package), and the second seemed very complex to use (and very big 20MB download for just editing the ENDOOM screen). On the other hand it saw the chance to implement some nice pieces of code (like the midpoint eclipse algorithm) and play a little with image to ASCII conversion. The project seemed promising (in terms of development fun), so ... here it is!

Edited by jval

As ketmar had suggested in the other topic about DoomTree. I've checked and it seems Doomworld is currently out of straight jackets, so jval is in luck!

Although, I'm sure jval could escape even if there was one, purely by mind control.  

Again and as expected, Nice work @jval ;).

Even if it wasn't hard to me to make ENDOOM with Pablo Draw or XWE, you've just made my dream tool: now I can just paste the picture I want to turn into ASCII art and it's done

You are a fucking saint. I find that creating ENDOOM screens is typically an absolute nightmare, and a proper utility for it was definitely long overdue. Thanks for this!!

Nice tool, is it free or I have to paid to use it?.

Also, Does anyone knows any tool to make level name titles for intermission screen?, For example change the entering underhalls.

9 minutes ago, Kokrovan said:

Nice tool, is it free or I have to paid to use it?.

No, you will not get paid if you use it :)

9 minutes ago, Kokrovan said:

Also, Does anyone knows any tool to make level name titles for intermission screen?, For example change the entering underhalls.

DoomWord

http://www.mediafire.com/download/f7h9n5sl1h1rz2n/DoomWord.zip

2 hours ago, jval said:

I choose the "Use Extended Special Characters" option. So it is literally copy/paste.

When selecting the "Use Extended Special Characters"  the image is not only rendered in the background as a flat 80x25 bitmap, but the program calculates nearest colors depending on special characters that actually improve detail (also letters can have 16 colors, not only 8). So, this is the result.

That is sick. Honestly. Im going to put this through some nature shots i took of the sun and the forest and see how they turn up in this mode. Fascinating work!

This thing works well on stylized patterns and makes them look like textures from a Commodore 64 game.

Before:

iQtkjE1.png

After:

HRPpcbs.png

Sean Connery in budgie smugglers checks out.

It's really nice, every time in my mind I'm like "Hmm I could really use a utility for X" all I have to do is wait a couple weeks and jval will just sort of make it happen, in a way that works really really well

ENDOOM_Zardoz.png

Fantastic!  I would have loved something like this years ago.  Definitely glad we have it now though :)

This is amazing! You're producing so many editors I'm starting to lose track. Do you have them all listed somewhere centrally?

Dude, I’ve wanted this for SO LONG. Instead of just having some coloured text I’ll actually be able to have pictures! Thank you!

As a tip, when I last ran actual DOS, the bottom two rows of the ENDOOM seemingly needed to stay blank to not interrupt the area where you type commands, just something to keep in mind.

now i have to write graphical renderer for ENDOOM. (k8vavoom can show it in *nix terminal, but without most DOS pseudographics, and i turned it off by default)

On 3/6/2021 at 7:29 PM, Redneckerz said:

PS:

Also seems to work well on the following:

Hide contents

lFuEcGy.png

you rickrolled me, pal!

On 3/8/2021 at 2:51 PM, ketmar said:

now i have to write graphical renderer for ENDOOM.

I can make a dll if you want, get the ENDOOM screen and output 2 plain RGBA data arrays (blink on/off).

29 minutes ago, jval said:

I can make a dll if you want, get the ENDOOM screen and output 2 plain RGBA data arrays (blink on/off).

thank you. but hey, using other people's code is not as fun as reinventing the wheels! ;-)

it is doable with VavoomC and k8vavoom widget system, i just didn't felt a need to add this feature until now. but i expect people to create more ENDOOM screens from now on, so i'd better catch up. ;-)