Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
QuaketallicA

Is it possible to load a map with 2 iwads? (e.g. doom.wad, plutonia.wad)? If not is there a possible workaround?

Question

I can do so in Doom Builder 2, but if I were playing by directly loading a map into GZDoom, it can only load one or the other.

4 answers to this question

from the title i assume you want to use doom.wad and plutonia.wad as texture resources while mapping.

If thats the case, what you have to do after making your wad to be playable and having the textures from the different iwads, is export the textures you use into your own pwad.

Just remember that you have to choose one iwad as base resource while playing, so only copy those from the other iwad onto your pwad.

Example, you made an ultimate doom pwad, but it also use plutonia textures, so, copy those textures you use into your pwad, and so you will have the texture set from ultimate doom and the ones you use from plutonia.

If you made a wad from plutonia, just copy the textures you want to use from ultimate doom.

Try to not have duplicated assets, that mean that if you use Plutonia as your -iwad parameter, you don't need any texture from plutonia inside your pwad.

You can load another IWAD though -file command line argument, but it's not a good idea because wall textures are not cummulative.

11 hours ago, P41R47 said:

from the title i assume you want to use doom.wad and plutonia.wad as texture resources while mapping.

If thats the case, what you have to do after making your wad to be playable and having the textures from the different iwads, is export the textures you use into your own pwad.

Just remember that you have to choose one iwad as base resource while playing, so only copy those from the other iwad onto your pwad.

Example, you made an ultimate doom pwad, but it also use plutonia textures, so, copy those textures you use into your pwad, and so you will have the texture set from ultimate doom and the ones you use from plutonia.

If you made a wad from plutonia, just copy the textures you want to use from ultimate doom.

Try to not have duplicated assets, that mean that if you use Plutonia as your -iwad parameter, you don't need any texture from plutonia inside your pwad.

Thanks a million, P41R47. That's exactly the answer I was looking for. Yep, I am going for some Plutonia textures inside of an Ultimate Doom base.

As a followup, would there by any legal issues to including assets from a paid iwad inside a pwad? Or if it's only a few textures from a cheap wad most people already own, would it not really matter?

3 hours ago, QuaketallicA said:

Thanks a million, P41R47. That's exactly the answer I was looking for. Yep, I am going for some Plutonia textures inside of an Ultimate Doom base.

As a followup, would there by any legal issues to including assets from a paid iwad inside a pwad? Or if it's only a few textures from a cheap wad most people already own, would it not really matter?

if you want your pwad to be uploaded to idgames one day, you must not use assets wrong.

But how?

Well, the trick is not to duplicate them.

If the asset is already on UDoom, like a texture, don't add it to your wad. It will be already be use from the iwad use as a resource while playing.

About the music, you can reuse the music of the same iwad, just don't use it on the same slot, for example you want to use d_e1m1 on map e1m8, and so you rename it d_e1m8.

You are ok, there is no problem.

but don't use d_e1m1 in place of d_e1m1, thats duplicating the data already on the iwad.

As long as the texture or music is not on the iwad use as base for playing, you can reuse assets from other iwads without problem.