Bauul

Doomkid

Sgt Mark IV

Esselfortium

Big 'Ol Billy

Major Arlene

44 minutes ago, rd. said:

Nanka Kurashiki 

its a testament to their ingenuity and originality that i remembered the maps instantly on reading that name

Hm. Seems I forgot to actually reply to this thread, oops!

I've too many to name but I'll pinpoint a few of the most significant influencers on me. :)

Agent Spork:

While not an active influence on me these days, Spork's works created a sense of wonder and incited a thirst for mapping knowledge in me during my formative years, without their works such as temple of chaos 2, Simplicity 1, 2 and 3 (end eventually ultimate simplicity) etc, I wouldn't have been anywhere near as interested in mapping as I was.

Erik Alm:

Scythe II will forever be a staple reference point for what makes a good series of levels and design choices. We've all sung praise about them, and for good reason.

Bauul:

Bauul's consistent positivity, combined with their relentless dedication to mapping has always been both influencial and hugely inspiring to me.

Jimmy:

You all know Jimmy. Forever the friendliest face in the community, and such a prolific contributor to all aspects of Doom - music, maps, textures, code, ideas, tutorials... so on, and so forth. If the title "pillar of the community" belongs to anyone, it's Jimmy.

Cyano:

Maybe a lesser known member of the community, but that doesn't change how influential they are to me though. Their mapping style is absolutely sublime.

Yugiboy85:
While honestly, you can see a lot of Skillsaw's influence in Yugi's work, they manage to maintain their own identity in such a way that feels genuinely fresh and exciting.

AD_79:

Not really sure how to put AD's influence on me into words. Just go and play their maps, you'll see why they're influential to me. Also a great person to hang out with for Discord shenanigans!

Ukiro:

Obviously a strong influence on me, what with their work on OTEX and subsequently Eviternity. Ukiro's influences on me are mostly in the visual department. If you want to learn how to keep your maps looking stunning and unique while also having an element of sophistication, check Ukiro's works.

Remmirath:

This list wouldn't be complete without a mention of Remmirath; we became friends way back in the mid 2000's and it was with that friendship that my interest in mapping was able to grow to where it is today. I fondly remember all the back and forth "Doom banter", all of the small collaborations between us over the years, and all their help with Skulldash.

Eris Falling:

God damn it dude, make more maps. :P

Decay:

Honestly, Decay is singlehandedly the reason I even have any interest in multiplayer mapping at all - Decay not only makes some of the best DM maps, with clean flow, good looks and fun concepts; he also knows exactly what's needed to take a good map and make it 100x better. Love him or hate him, his influence on the MP mapping scene is unquestionable.

Antares031:

Do I really need to explain this one? Antares is a fantastic mapper, with a fantastic catalogue of work. Also influential from a more personal perspective with their infectious positive attitude.

Many, many other people:

Too many great people to write about, sorry if you didn't appear on this list! D:

Edited by Dragonfly

These are all the people whose work made these shitty last 12 months a slightly better one

The OG id crew 

The Casali Brothers 

Tom Mustaine 

Jimmy Sieben 

Mackey McCandlish

Thomas van der Velden 

Erik Alm 

Adam Windsor  

Dr Sleep 

Doomkid and the entire Rowdy Rudy 2 team

i figured out a way to meaningfully respond to this.  There's so far exactly three mappers (well, four actually) whose other works i've sought out after playing something from them (and in none of the cases was i disappointed):

- Deadwing

- Datacore

- Bjorn Hermans and Holger Nathrath

I'd definitely my most favorite of all time has to be mechadon. Every map of his that I've played just feels so grand and adventurous, like the world'll explode and everyone in the universe ever will die if I don't finish this, and I like that feeling a lot. Every fight of his maps feel so refined and perfectly crafted and I always get so excited to face the next monsters that get in my way. My most favorite map ever has to be BTSX E2's map 25 for sure, I feel the weight of the world every time I play it and that sense of grandeur leaves me stunned every time.

Other than that, names like skillsaw, esselfortium, ribbiks, xaser, and nanka kurashiki always get me really excited to kill demons

• John Romero
  • Sandy Petersen
  • Tom Hall
  • MX Dash
  • Doorhenge
  • NoReason
  • Batandy
  • Ribbiks
  • Bauul
  • Insane Gazebo
  • Antares031
  • 40oz
  • Dreadopp
  • Lord_Z
  • Jaska
  • BluePineapple72
  • Skillsaw
  • Benjogami
  • Dannebubinga
  • RastaManGames
  • Massimo Ciano
  • B.P.R.D
  • Keith Hickman
  • Contrast Saturation
  • mArt1And00m3r11339
  • Yukio Ide
  • JSO_x
  • Chubzdoomer
Edited by Geniraul : Typo in the reason for edit.

Read the title as Whore Your Favourite Mappers...

Erik Alm is the first name that comes to mind because of how influential Scythe was to me. Not just in a mapping sense but pulling me into exploring custom levels and being a catalysts for the longevity in my interest in Doom.

Tarnsman is an author that speaks to me. His maps are executed so well you get that "I see what you were going for there" feeling, which is one of my favourite things.

Memfis' uncompromising attitude gives his work a character that makes them identifiable to him, which I think is an undervalued quality. I remember him once saying how he prefers playing 1994 maps because they predate accepted conventions and there is something useful to learn from that.

40oz is a student of the game. I remember him once being super prolific and his work was always of a minimum good standard no matter how quickly put together. However, he also puts tons of thought into his work and theorising interesting ideas.

Sandy Peterson is my favorite, Ive seen a lot of really good creators over here in the past few years but Sandy levels are the top for me.

I'm too new to comment on most of them listed here but I just want to say @Bridgeburner56 and @Danlex are damn INSANE. I never ever opened a map builder but I recognize talent, I'm more on the visual and artistic side of things in life in general and someone that can "effortlessly" create things like that, colors, lights, everything put together that well is just naturally and genetically talented, there is nothing more to it.

I've also checked @skillsaw stuff and he has to be some kind of genius as well, incredible stuff.

I've checked their work and vids for a few months now and I just stay there mesmerized and also thank you for spending time helping others, creating video guides and all that.

edit:

I'm going to add @elend and @Lutz too, Hurt and Corrupted Cistern are masterpieces.

edit2:

@Dragonfly as well of course, Eviternity is one of my all time favorite wads and Eviternity II is a masterpiece.

I had no idea @Bauul was the one that made Elementalism, another masterpiece. Came to know about him because of Eviternity II and the maps he made there (the ones I saw yet) are damn amazing. Adding him too.

I had to stop 2022 A Doom Odyssey to come here and add Paul Corfiatis (pcorf), I checked some of his other work and wow, amazing musics, designs, overall insane maps and wads.

Edited by CacoKnight

I'm those people who make more, play less

I like pretty much every famous mappers work

But my favourite is that Tooooasty guy's maps from Japanese Community Project

i think my personal favorites are azamael, beewen, lainos, paul noble, didy, toooooasty, naturaltvventy, dobu gabu maru and sverre kvernmo

words i would use to describe their work: elegant, refined and gracious

there is a few other names i thought of but these are probably my very favorites, so shout out to them

only men though, what a nightmare

edit: i also love the way too ambitious levels that i imagine in my head and will never be able to make anyway because i don't know how to use doombuilder haha

Edited by elborbahquarama

- Gusta

- Skillsaw

- Darkwave0000

- Myolden

- Ribbiks

Shoutouts to some mappers I came to recognized as great in community projects I participated in:

- Dashlet

- Cacodemon187

5 hours ago, Maribo said:

Opting to ignore household (and approaching household territory) names in favor of highlighting some lesser known people who I've been trying to keep up with over the past couple of years and why:

Berubaretto // Have a walk around these woods.

eater29 // Mudman is probably the closest thing we have to a FromSoftware swamp in Doom.

raddicted // Concrete jungle brainrot modern dystopia.

Treehouseminis // SoftFX monolith slaughter meet graveyard skullfuck.

Yumheart // Treats the player as violently as possible.

suzerduzer // Aquatic void treasure hunt.

Sneezy McGlassFace // Mucus Slaughter.

dashlet // Liminal explorer + lost in a world that never existed.

AshtralFiend // Extensive brain damage and sensory issues.

Cacodemon187 // Graduation celebration and quaint urban nature.

Want to add to this, in terms of slightly lesser known authors with EANB, whose Glaive series is one of my personal favorites.

a few of my fav mappers, some of whom influence my own work

Inferno

Lunchlunch 

Ribbiks 

Dobu Gabu Maru 

BPRD

Akolai

Dashlet