Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Hard Drive Formats are FUN!!!!!!!!111

Well, the other night I was playing Super Metroid on my SNES emulator. I got off at a few minutes to midnight, my older brother got on and logged onto AIM. About two in the morning, he comes in and tells me to get up and tells me that Windows has mysteriously crashed. He told me Windows gave him a couple fatal errors and then boom! He tried rebooting, and Windows complained about an invalid length in the Windows.ini file or some shit like that. Either way, I had to suffer through a hard drive format, as trying to reinstall Windows didn't work.
This means I've lost fucking everything except Winzip. But oh well, I'll get it back.

I hate to dig up an old cliché, but

Fredrik said:

You formatted the hard drive because there were errors in Windows.ini?

Stupidity cannot be concealed.

it still amazes me that people format harddrives to solve simple windows boot problems. In all the years of maintaining and building my machines i've had to reformat a drive a total of zero times. that's right, zero.

Depends upon which windows version... :)
bad news for anyone to have to re-install. I feel for ya, man. :(

BigBadGangsta said:

Does that mean you lost all those sprites that I [strike]want[/strike] need? ARG!!!!

Dude, it's not as though I wanted to reformat.
Oh and BTW, it wasn't just Windows' INI file, the computer would get to the scandisk screen, go to 20% done, and then freeze. Scandisk would prompt me on if I wanted to fix this INI file problem, but every single time if I said yes, no, or just skip it, it would freeze up the comp and then the computer would turn itself off.

DooMBoy said:

Oh and BTW, it wasn't just Windows' INI file, the computer would get to the scandisk screen, go to 20% done, and then freeze. Scandisk would prompt me on if I wanted to fix this INI file problem, but every single time if I said yes, no, or just skip it, it would freeze up the comp and then the computer would turn itself off.

So it was Windows' INI file...?

yea i was kinda telling u to redo your system anyway. dont use that restore disk, puts a bunch of garbage on the system. just use the plain win98SE disk, and installing windows will go well. really you could have just deleted the windows directory, and u would have kept the files. like your maps and deepsea.
I usally clean my system off every 6 to 8 months, getting ready to do that cause i am building a new computer

Use3D said:

it still amazes me that people format harddrives to solve simple windows boot problems. In all the years of maintaining and building my machines i've had to reformat a drive a total of zero times. that's right, zero.

Same here. I don't know wt_ I'll do when I ever have to format a hard drive.

It does kinda sound like DoomBoy's computer was toast in this situation. Computers don't go apeshit without a reason, though. Maybe your brother messed something up.

I've had to reformat once...but it was because my neighbour had so much crap put on his computer and he had installed multiple OS's over eachother without formatting properly that it was a big shitty mess. Wasn't worth fixing so I just wiped it and put a fresh copy of xp pro on

Ultraviolet said:

Or maybe he fucked it up himself.

Or maybe I didn't.

Use3D said:

It does kinda sound like DoomBoy's computer was toast in this situation. Computers don't go apeshit without a reason, though. Maybe your brother messed something up.

I really don't know. Maybe he did, maybe it was the hard drive or something just wanting to be formatted.

Well if they don't now, the way technology is advancing, they probbaly will not to far into the future :)