Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Murdoch

Caverns of Darkness 2.0

1 hour ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

Thanks - thought asking the author would be more straightforward than looking for it on my own.

Luckily I was able build from the source, and the binary runs on my new PC - unlike the original one I got from idgames.

So pulled my saves from the backup and was able to continue Doom II playthrough.

If the compiled build has any changes compared to the original IDgames one, it might be well worth posting that binary.

And ofcourse, ask away! I was just presenting a few more places of delivery. Murdoch likes to undersell his efforts from the 90s but i find them very much of interest - Especially when it comes to source modifications, Murdoch has been a big catalyst for such things even existing.

Pardon this is going a off-topic, but in fact yes, @Redneckerz.

I didn't have liballegro used for the original build, but @gerwin was kind enough to share sources of his modified version with MBF 2.0.4 on his port's thread and to explain how to build it. So first thing I tried was building with this advised environment and linking source provided by @Murdoch above to this modified liballegro version. When it build and ran ok, I went all in and put it Gerwin's low level video and audio routines, replacing the ones from Eternity. The upside for me was that I could run CoD engine on this particular G41 "frankie" DOS gaming machine, but after incorporating those additional changes could also have hi res mode on. Eternity proper was never able to swtich that on for my Intel card (not even later DOS builds of Eternity), but Gerwin's changes did the trick.

etern12.png.0b1eb276638522a64afea0a4104c37e6.png

Of course there's also this my special interest in using a very early Eternity preview to play Doom and mods, for which I've changed several annoyances for my personal liking.

10 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

And ofcourse, ask away! I was just presenting a few more places of delivery. Murdoch likes to undersell his efforts from the 90s but i find them very much of interest - Especially when it comes to source modifications, Murdoch has been a big catalyst for such things even existing.

I was the catalyst for absolutely nothing. When it comes to C my skills are purely at the hacker level. There's infinitely more skilled developers around this community than i. This isn't false modesty. I am glad you find them interesting red but i assure you from a technical perspective they are about as basic as you can get.

1 hour ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

Pardon this is going a off-topic, but in fact yes, @Redneckerz.

I didn't have liballegro used for the original build, but @gerwin was kind enough to share sources of his modified version with MBF 2.0.4 on his port's thread and to explain how to build it. So first thing I tried was building with this advised environment and linking source provided by @Murdoch above to this modified liballegro version. When it build and ran ok, I went all in and put it Gerwin's low level video and audio routines, replacing the ones from Eternity. The upside for me was that I could run CoD engine on this particular G41 "frankie" DOS gaming machine, but after incorporating those additional changes could also have hi res mode on. Eternity proper was never able to swtich that on for my Intel card (not even later DOS builds of Eternity), but Gerwin's changes did the trick.

etern12.png.0b1eb276638522a64afea0a4104c37e6.png

Of course there's also this my special interest in using a very early Eternity preview to play Doom and mods, for which I've changed several annoyances for my personal liking.

Ahh, good old Gerwin.. i am surprised he keeps on updating his MBF build! Lovely chap.

So, what's your FrankenCOD for DOS even called at this point?

I swear Caverns of Darkness has to be the WAD set with the most source derived modifications at this point.

7 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

I was the catalyst for absolutely nothing. When it comes to C my skills are purely at the hacker level. There's infinitely more skilled developers around this community than i. This isn't false modesty. I am glad you find them interesting red but i assure you from a technical perspective they are about as basic as you can get.

They very well might be, but truth be told, its your hack jobs on WolfenDoom and later COD that got the news. Source mods always remained a real underground thing and essentially vaporized once source ports became flexible enough in features to not warrant such mods anymore, but on a historic note, you are one of the more prolific authors in that field.

And they inspire folks still too. So don't mind me :)

19 hours ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

Luckily I was able build from the source, and the binary runs on my new PC - unlike the original one I got from idgames.

If you wouldn't mind, could you post your compiled windows binaries here ? I would be interested to compare.

Just realised this has already been requested. I should have gone Next ...

Edited by hawkwind