Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dwimepon

Prison Heck (Castle / Prison themed level)

Hey everyone! I'm new here, made an account just so I could share and get thoughts on my new map called Prison Heck. It's a castle / prison-themed, Boom-compatible level for Doom 2 made in Doom Builder X. It uses custom textures from Hexen II, a few custom sounds here and there from various sources and a DeHackEd patch to change the level name / par on non-Zdoom source ports.

Here are a few screenshots! Screenshot_Doom_20210308_121407.png.b04f035f1a12e23100d2a42876455989.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210308_121443.png.793717fddeca24bd100b92131cf3d0e8.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210308_121532.png.a0545e5e53663e4bad0030348744697c.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210308_121615.png.813f8a79339d4e100e49f79784d16c99.png

Tested the whole thing on prboom-plus, Woof and GZDoom, everything seems to work as intended. It's pretty short, about 15 minutes at most, but I prefer something that's short but sweet than long and drawn-out. Also, just in case: I tried to make it obvious in the level itself, but you can shoot white walls to lower them.

Hope you'll enjoy! I'm sort of new at this whole "Doom mapping" thing, so I would love to get feedback to improve.

PrisonHeck.zip

A nice first map that has some interesting gimmicks thrown here and there. Played on UV using GZDoom 4.5.0.

Gameplay

Slow at the start, but steadily begins to pick up as the map goes on. You seem to want to warm the player up to the tougher encounters, by either giving them the right amount(mostly) of resources and equipment for each encounter. You seem to employ a range of gimmicks, such as the Icon of sin( and Andrew Hulshult) fight at the end and the walls that you shoot to interact with the environment. The boom conveyer belts are also a nice touch, and make the combat a little bit more frantic. I'd recommend adding a little bit more ammo in the holding cells, as taking on a hell knight with only the pistol takes forever.

Layout

The layout is certainly interesting. Starting out linear, than taking on a non-linear hub format. I always prefer non-linear design to that of linear, If it handles the non-linear design in a way that doesn't confuse the player. There are some issues, though. The area in the fourth screenshot is very narrow, and has this kind of void effect( I think it was intentional, though) that looks a bit off, in my opinion.

Texturing and detailing

The texturing, in some areas could use a bit of work in some areas. The area in the fourth screenshot has some textures that aren't aligned correctly, though I'll leave a screenshot of what I'm referring to. The detailing, on the other hand, is pretty good. I like the smaller details you added to some areas, such as the tables, chairs and beds, though I'd be careful as the room with the beds makes strafing difficult. In other words, be careful of how much detail you add, as this can detract from the overall gameplay

Bugs

A few texturing issues and the Icon of sin's spawned monsters seem to get stuck on top of the exit signs in the final area.

https://imgur.com/a/FZc5VhW

https://imgur.com/a/Wv26YXh

https://imgur.com/a/lcFZlIw

Conclusion

An interesting first offering that needs a little bit of work here and there. Good work!

Also, Welcome to Doomworld! Feel free to hang out on the different sub-forums. We tend to talk about all kinds of stuff in each one, so feel free to pitch in.

On 3/8/2021 at 2:23 PM, Silhou3tte said:

A nice first map that has some interesting gimmicks thrown here and there. Played on UV using GZDoom 4.5.0.

Gameplay

Slow at the start, but steadily begins to pick up as the map goes on. You seem to want to warm the player up to the tougher encounters, by either giving them the right amount(mostly) of resources and equipment for each encounter. You seem to employ a range of gimmicks, such as the Icon of sin( and Andrew Hulshult) fight at the end and the walls that you shoot to interact with the environment. The boom conveyer belts are also a nice touch, and make the combat a little bit more frantic. I'd recommend adding a little bit more ammo in the holding cells, as taking on a hell knight with only the pistol takes forever.

Layout

The layout is certainly interesting. Starting out linear, than taking on a non-linear hub format. I always prefer non-linear design to that of linear, If it handles the non-linear design in a way that doesn't confuse the player. There are some issues, though. The area in the fourth screenshot is very narrow, and has this kind of void effect( I think it was intentional, though) that looks a bit off, in my opinion.

Texturing and detailing

The texturing, in some areas could use a bit of work in some areas. The area in the fourth screenshot has some textures that aren't aligned correctly, though I'll leave a screenshot of what I'm referring to. The detailing, on the other hand, is pretty good. I like the smaller details you added to some areas, such as the tables, chairs and beds, though I'd be careful as the room with the beds makes strafing difficult. In other words, be careful of how much detail you add, as this can detract from the overall gameplay

Bugs

A few texturing issues and the Icon of sin's spawned monsters seem to get stuck on top of the exit signs in the final area.

https://imgur.com/a/FZc5VhW

https://imgur.com/a/Wv26YXh

https://imgur.com/a/lcFZlIw

Conclusion

An interesting first offering that needs a little bit of work here and there. Good work!

Also, Welcome to Doomworld! Feel free to hang out on the different sub-forums. We tend to talk about all kinds of stuff in each one, so feel free to pitch in.

Thank you both for the review and the warm welcome! They're all greatly appreciated.

To represent how the player was breaking out of prison, I wanted to make the early areas very tight and narrow only to massively open up the level as soon as you left the tower. It's possible I might have overdone it a bit, haha. I'll probably make the bed slightly smaller and that specific room slightly bigger to compensate next time I update the map. I'll also add a few shells somewhere to make the fight against the Hell Knight easier, because I was definitely pretty stingy on that end. Thanks!

The "black void" effect in the computer room isn't a void effect at all but black flats and textures! I wanted to make a labyrinth-style room that was themed around computers and electronics, so I thought about making a literal maze of cables connected to various things around the room, and black seemed like the most "cable-like" color I could think of. If people start confusing it for an in-engine bug I'll try to replace them with actual textures and flats... I'll look it up!

And finally, thank you for reporting the misaligned textures, I honestly didn't notice haha. I'm REALLY bad at aligning textures to be honest.

Uploaded Prison Heck to the idgames archive! Should be available under /newstuff.

Also, I'm probably going to update the level soonish to correct a few small errors.