Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissMelee

Lighting bug? "Hall of light" effect

Question

I'm testing my map and in Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom (screenshot from Crispy Doom), there's a weird "hall of light" effect where a strange beam of light goes beyond the sector that's supposed to be lit up. In GZDoom (second screenshot), that effect is not there. What's going on here, and how do I fix it? I'm using Doom Builder X with Doom 2 as the game configuration.

1.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210308_195824.png

3 answers to this question

Not completely sure what this could be, but when weird bugs like that start happening in my maps, I try redrawing over the linedef, moving it by 1px, or using the "make sectors tool" on the sectors around it. Do try and see if any of those fix it.

It looks like a massive slime trail, which usually happens with either broken/overlapping geometry or the nodebuilder acting up. Moving around the vertices, possibly merging them or removing them entirely, and redrawing the part from scratch usually fixes it. Make Sector tool is also good for fixing leaky sectors, as Juza mentioned, so you should always use that if sectors or lines start acting up.

On 3/9/2021 at 9:31 AM, Juza said:

Not completely sure what this could be, but when weird bugs like that start happening in my maps, I try redrawing over the linedef, moving it by 1px, or using the "make sectors tool" on the sectors around it. Do try and see if any of those fix it.

Thanks, I fiddled around with the vertices for a bit and it went away. It was actually in a different sector than I thought (not the one I was standing in) which made it take longer than it should have.