Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
I Drink Lava

LavaMod for Doom Eternal - Gameplay Overhaul mod RELEASED!

1 minute ago, I Drink Lava said:

The initial LavaMod release is only the main campaign levels. The DLCs and Master Levels might not even come until 2022 or even possibly 2023.

Fuck the DLC's then i just want everything i see on your YouTube channelšŸ˜

This looks really awesome!
I personally hoped for a mod that would make the game play more like what we were shown in the first ever gameplay reveal.
The game had a much more "Doom 2016" feel to it.

As a little bonus, here's a video of a failed feature that I always wanted to include but just did not work right in practice. It will not be included in the finished LavaMod.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by I Drink Lava

How do you get into modding a video game and suddenly people want to find out your address and come to your house? Most Discord/insert any other service name groups seem to draw only smooth-brained idiots to them.Ā  It's sad that an another project is ruined by literal, actual retards on the internet. Was really looking forward to this but now i might as well uninstall DE again. If you're in a Discord group and don't want your stuff ruined, all you should do is post progress, ignore all questions, and call it a night. Do not participate in conversation. I'm legit angry now.

I am very sorry to hear you experienced this, Lava. I never like to hear of creative types getting fingerforked by drama coming fromĀ self-appointedĀ arbiters of content. I hope you continue to create and share things and that you don't face too much BS from psycho creeps.

@Muusi Don't be mistaken, LavaMod is still a work in progress and I'm really hoping to get it released by the end of August or September. In fact, I just finished my first pass of Sentinel Prime adding ammo to the pre-fight room and the actual arena. I have big plans for this level, actually. I'm planning on fleshing out Sentinel Prime in a way that's still technically lore-friendly and pleases both the vanilla+ and the Master Level crowds. I'm also reconsidering how I approach old encounters after getting feedback from Kaiser_will that my arenas were "too slow".

Ā 

@UnclePhil I'm honestly more afraid of the "git gud" crowd ripping me apart for adding more ammo to the levels than anything the modding server has done so far. Re-reading that "Ammo Holy Grail found?" thread and seeing Dragonfly of all people give a like to someone insulting me and my video was quite a low blow, I'm not gonna lie.

I would very much like to try a classic-esque variant with less emphasis on the "fun zone" loop. When I first started played DE I was as ammo-starved as everyone else.

Ā 

I'm pretty comfortable with the DE combat loop after playing through the game and first DLC a few times but I have to admit I found my first playthrough frustrating with few tools and having not yet internalized how to get each resource in combat.

Ā 

Looking forward!

LavaMod for Doom Eternal has been cancelled.

Ā 

What remains of the project can be downloaded here on NexusMods. The campaign is fully-beatable, it just might not be beatable with Vanilla or 2016 weapons in Famine Mode+. I will not be continuing this project any further.

Edited by I Drink Lava

LavaMod has been updated to version 0.991-Beta. This important update includes:

• Fixed Doom Hunter bosses not being killable in Doom Hunter Base with "No Enemy Stagger States" component.
  • Fixed missing Sentinel Crystal in Nekravol Pt. 2 (it just respawns in the same place)
  • Removed inventory refill from Nekravol Pt. 2 and Urdak with "No Inventory Refill in Hub" component.
  • Fixed Super Shotgun (both LavaMod and 2016 versions) not having the proper modded stats.

this opens so much new possibilities for DE players like us and brings back so many great snapmap memories...kudos to you Lava

So the most interesting DE project has been abandoned now? That's fucking sad.Ā 

Ā 

Internet drama is also fucking sad. And stupid.Ā 

LavaMod for Doom Eternal 0.992-Beta Update:

• Fixed softlock in Urdak that prevented enemy encounters from loading.
  • Removed some spectacle cameras I missed in Urdak.
  • Hopefully fixed Mars Core Sentinel Crystal that wasn't working.
  • Nerfed LavaMod Heavy Cannon so it does the same amount of damage against Khan Maykr, Icon of Sin, and Samur as the LavaMod Chaingun.
  • Removed inventory refill from Final Sin.
  • Added "No Inventory Refill between Gladiator Phases" component for Famine Mode+.
  • Added "No Inventory Refill between Icon of Sin Phases" component for Famine Mode+.

I'm not sure if you've chosen to resume work on your mod, but I just wanted to say that I appreciate these updates!Ā  I can't run DOOM Eternal on my current PC but I'll be sure to check out LavaMod once I can. :)

19 hours ago, KainXavier said:

I'm not sure if you've chosen to resume work on your mod, but I just wanted to say that I appreciate these updates!Ā  I can't run DOOM Eternal on my current PC but I'll be sure to check out LavaMod once I can. :)

I promised to release LavaMod in a state where the campaign can be beaten, so these patches basically only exist to fulfill that original promise.

Ā 

Given the complete and utter lack of a playerbase LavaMod has gotten after its release, I can't say it was a mistake to not finish every promised feature of the mod.

6 hours ago, I Drink Lava said:

Given the complete and utter lack of a playerbase LavaMod has gotten after its release, I can't say it was a mistake to not finish every promised feature of the mod.

No offense but the lack of players probably has something to do with cancelation of the mod. I thought this was gonna be the ultimate mod for DE that could bring me back to play the game but knowing it's gonna be abandoned in a partially finished state, l have to admit I'm not too excited for it anymore.

Ā 

I don't even know in what state it will be abandoned but knowing it's gonna happen is still bad enough.Ā 

Edited by Muusi

@Muusi I've publicly made the unfinished features known. They are as follows:

Spoiler
  • Various bits of polish throughout the levels and missing secrets.
  • Doom movement speed.
  • Hell Soldiers drop bullet ammo and Shotgun Soldiers (the shield enemies) drop shell ammo.
  • True 2016 ammo lootdrops (I was using a workaround merging both low and empty lootdrop stats because I never figured out how to inject new .decls).
  • The true lightning gun. [BEARSHARK911 figured out a way to have it not lock-on but he didn't want to retype the process]
  • Masteries for Sticky Bomb and Lightning Gun.
  • The classic BFG9000.
  • The missing Doom 2016 weapons + sound effects. [A competitor has already made a mod for this, it seems]
  • The Ripatorium bonus games and inventory refill.
  • The super-secret Sentinel Prime Slayer Gate, which would've taken players back through the entire level repopulated with TAG-scale encounters.
  • The new Taras Nabad Slayer Gate, which would've recreated scenarios from throughout the franchise: Phobos Anomaly (2 Barons plus Spectres), Dead Simple (4 Mancubi followed by 4 Arachnotrons), "Plutonia in a nutshell" (all Revenants and Archviles), the "Fun Zone" (2 Doom Hunters plus a Marauder at the same time), and No Escape (3 Cyberdemons).
  • The Gold Doom Hunter boss fight re-contextualized in the main campaign as the final boss of Taras Nabad.
  • All of TAG1 & 2 + the Master Levels (which wouldn't have been included in the 1.0 anyway, but you know).

Ā 

LavaMod is still fully beatable with Famine Mode+ with the new weapon pack. So what if there's no Gold Doom Hunter at the end of Taras Nabad, or no optional Slayer Gate in Sentinel Prime that repopulates the short level with enemies, or no meathook nodes in the last third of the game, or no new Ripatorium rounds? They were just minor add-ons to the overall experience.

Ā 

The fact of the matter is, LavaMod in its current state has been available to download for nearly two weeks now. If you haven't downloaded it and played it in all that time, then you were never going to download and play it at all. In the end, it's my life and I decide what I want to do with it. If less than 100 people even bothered to play this mod in nearly two weeks since its release, of which only 9 have bothered to install the patch that actually makes the campaign fully beatable, that tells me that no one ever really wanted to play LavaMod except myself.

3 hours ago, I Drink Lava said:

@Muusi I've publicly made the unfinished features known. They are as follows:

Ā  Reveal hidden contents
  • Various bits of polish throughout the levels and missing secrets.
  • Doom movement speed.
  • Hell Soldiers drop bullet ammo and Shotgun Soldiers (the shield enemies) drop shell ammo.
  • True 2016 ammo lootdrops (I was using a workaround merging both low and empty lootdrop stats because I never figured out how to inject new .decls).
  • The true lightning gun. [BEARSHARK911 figured out a way to have it not lock-on but he didn't want to retype the process]
  • Masteries for Sticky Bomb and Lightning Gun.
  • The classic BFG9000.
  • The missing Doom 2016 weapons + sound effects. [A competitor has already made a mod for this, it seems]
  • The Ripatorium bonus games and inventory refill.
  • The super-secret Sentinel Prime Slayer Gate, which would've taken players back through the entire level repopulated with TAG-scale encounters.
  • The new Taras Nabad Slayer Gate, which would've recreated scenarios from throughout the franchise: Phobos Anomaly (2 Barons plus Spectres), Dead Simple (4 Mancubi followed by 4 Arachnotrons), "Plutonia in a nutshell" (all Revenants and Archviles), the "Fun Zone" (2 Doom Hunters plus a Marauder at the same time), and No Escape (3 Cyberdemons).
  • The Gold Doom Hunter boss fight re-contextualized in the main campaign as the final boss of Taras Nabad.
  • All of TAG1 & 2 + the Master Levels (which wouldn't have been included in the 1.0 anyway, but you know).

Ā 

no one ever really wanted to play LavaMod except myself.

This isn't true at all. I've been gushing about your mod since April. I shared it to the NuDoom Facebook group and many people were excited about it. In fact, that's how i found out about the cancelation, people posting about it on the group. It's not like your mod didn't have any interest in it at all.Ā 

17 hours ago, I Drink Lava said:

The fact of the matter is, LavaMod in its current state has been available to download for nearly two weeks now. If you haven't downloaded it and played it in all that time, then you were never going to download and play it at all. In the end, it's my life and I decide what I want to do with it. If less than 100 people even bothered to play this mod in nearly two weeks since its release, of which only 9 have bothered to install the patch that actually makes the campaign fully beatable, that tells me that no one ever really wanted to play LavaMod except myself.

Ā 

In the past 30 days, there have been 64 Doom Eternal mods uploaded to NexusMods. Sorted by most downloaded, LavaMod is ranked at 21th place of 64, just at the very top of the second page of results. Sorted by Trending, LavaMod is 2nd place of 64. Sorted by endorsements, LavaMod is 8th place of 64.

Ā 

When viewing just the raw statistics, "less than 100 people" doesn't seem like very much but relatively to the other mods released within the same time period, it has performed above average. Keep in mind that the Doom Eternal modding scene is still quite considerably small. Considering you're not a prolific Doom Eternal modder, have chosen not to post this on the Doom 2016/Eternal modding Discord, and there is no promotion for LavaMod on YouTube/Reddit (besides your personal channel) - I would say LavaMod has done a good job so far on its own.

Ā 

It's entirely up to you what you decide to do with your mod. However, I believe having the mod promoted by a Doom Eternal YouTuber (like Allstin for example) would do a lot to bring more eyes to your mod and what it offers. This is why companies spend so much on advertising, because getting exposure and recognition is the hardest part even if the product is high quality and a lot of time and effort was spent on it. The people who didn't install the patch that makes the campaign beatable probably don't even know that it exists, or that there would be an officially posted fix to a mod that has been already been publicly canceled.

Ā 

In any case, I understand it is demoralizing that a project with hundreds of hours behind seems to underperform, but LavaMod has actually performed above average relative to other Doom Eternal mods released in the same time period, and it could probably benefit from more exposure from other sources. Finishing the mod and posting on the Discord would probably also help with exposure, but those are your decisions to make.

4 hours ago, AtimZarr1 said:

Keep in mind that the Doom Eternal modding scene is still quite considerably small.

Ā 

Bingo. I would wager most people are completely unaware that the game can even be modded.

I'm sorry Lava, I don't mean to let you down. I know you're looking at the numbers of people playing and I know I'm not counted among them. I'm away fromĀ home so much now, and inĀ the few days I've been home off the road in the last month I've been playing mods for other shooters in singleplayer, and rocking 4 man halo co-op, and all of it has been so much fun!

Ā 

I can tell you though, both as a musician and as a guy who used to frontman a Max Payne mod back in the day... you can't expect the audience to love you right away. You create a thing, and it's your baby, and honestly it's sometimes YEARS before it finds its audience properly. I can't tell you how humbled I was to find Max PayneĀ TrueMatrix 1.8alpha available on the internet literally almost 8 years since I gave up on it. I looked it up because I wanted to play it, I had retired multiple gaming PCs since the last time I had a copy of it, and I was shocked and humbled to find someone was still hosting a copy of it. Just put your thing out in the world, buddy. People are gonna want to play it. I want to play it. People who don't even know about Doom Eternal today are someday going to want to play it. Try to store your ego in a foot locker and check in on your baby once in a while. šŸ˜Š

@AtimZarr1 I technically did release it on Discord. What happened was, I tried to join the replacement Kaiserpalast server after the original was nuked with false "sharing cheats" reports, but they had phone-level verification on. I DMed one of the mod's followers and told him he was free to share it on any server (including the main one). Given how Discord works, it's easy to see how it would just get pushed back by tons of low-effort mods as they came out. It's just one of the many, many reasons why the NuDoom modding community was doomed to fail: consolidating 100% of the modding resources in a community hosted on a forum that just wasn't intended to be used for file sharing.

Ā 

To clarify: I don't blame anybody on Doomworld for the lack of downloads. I don't blame anyone from Youtube or the Discord server(s), either. And honestly, that number is not counting the people who could be using the Mega mirror, which I don't blame them since making an account just to install anything sucks. The sad truth is, the NuDoom community in general is imploding from drama on all sides. The toxic "git gud" crowd attacking ID for TAG2, the Battlemode cheaters doxxing and DMCAing each other, the modding community turning into toxic gatekeepers; it's all interconnected. As I was leaving the modding server, there was a mass exodus going on. When PowerBall253 (admin and head of the Linux branch) left the server because they hated being on the server, I knew LavaMod's fate was sealed.

Ā 

I've always had a policy that as long as someone out there was interested in my creative content, I would be willing to create more. The Let's Play that was mocked here one year ago? It's still on-going, and I plan on covering Update 6.66 even if I have zero new things to talk about. The only reason the LavaMod patches were even made is because of the support of a Youtube subscriber who I believe has been there since that LP. He sent me some detailed bug reports of progression-breaking elements. While I can't speak for the unforeseeable future, I do promise to release a bugfix for LavaMod at some point after Update 6.66. Remember: every time ID Software updates Doom Eternal, every single mod in existence breaks and must have their file structures manually re-organized and certain new lines added to work again.

15 hours ago, I Drink Lava said:

Remember: every time ID Software updates Doom Eternal, every single mod in existence breaks and must have their file structures manually re-organized and certain new lines added to work again.

Reminds me of the Halo MCC PC modding community is facing this same problem.
Ā 

Yeah IĀ didnt know all this drama was happening in the DE Modding Community
Its sad seeing the potential of DE mods being crushed by both Id(Granted its probably some technical problem that cannot be avoided.)Ā and the Modders themselves.

Ā 

I think its just a thing with the DE community, elitism and conflict is prevalent. I remember the whole Sticky Bomb v Full Auto debate andĀ the OST situation.
I love Doom Eternal, one of my favorite games in the past two yearsĀ