Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
I Drink Lava

LavaMod for Doom Eternal - Gameplay Overhaul mod RELEASED!

DOWNLOAD LAVAMOD NOW ON NEXUSMODS!

------------------------------------------------

Mega Mirror

------------

What is LavaMod?
LavaMod is an upcoming gameplay overhaul mod for Doom Eternal from the creator of the worst Let's Play on the internet. The goal of LavaMod is to tear down Hugo Martin's "Fun Zone" and let players rebuild it for themselves in order to create their own ideal Doom Eternal experiences. Anybody of any skill level, no matter how much they liked or disliked ID Software's vision for Doom Eternal, will be able to enjoy LavaMod in some way.

Features:

And the best part?

• The installation will be completely modular, meaning you can pick and choose exactly how you want to play Doom Eternal!

Want to try out the new weapons without disrupting the "Fun Zone"? Just keep the weapon .ZIP files and delete everything else! Ever wondered how the Quakecon 2018 build felt to play? Delete the weapon .ZIP files and use the 2016 ruleset .ZIP files with the rebalanced levels! Like certain weapon mods but not others? Mix and match any combination of weapons you want! You could take the LavaMod Combat Shotgun and give it the Eternal Sticky Bombs and 2016 Charged Burst! Anything is possible!

What makes the LavaMod weapon set so special?

The LavaMod weapons have been rebuilt from the ground-up to restore the gamefeel of classic Doom or (in the Rocket Launcher and Plasma Rifle's cases) Quake while still staying balanced within NuDoom's design. Every aspect of the weapons will feel familiar to long-time players, from the amount of shots the shotguns take to kill enemies to approximately the same ranges to kill them from. Combat as a whole has been restructured in order to make every single weapon in the arsenal useful in combat even into the endgame stages. Whereas DPS weapons (Heavy Cannon, Plasma Rifle, Chaingun) were basically useless in vanilla while Combo weapons (Super Shotgun, Ballista, Rocket Launcher) dominated the meta, the balanced has been shifted so both types of weapons come in handy. DPS weapons now have mild stunlocking properties to make up for their slower TTK, while Combo weapons use much more ammo to push the less-skilled players with poor aim away from spamming them.

Did I mention the Unmaykr is hitscan now?

You just want to run around with the Super Shotgun for 4 hours.

Not true. The rebalanced LavaMod levels have been designed with Hugo Martin's vision of constant weapon switching in mind. You will never be able to just Super Shotgun your way out of any one arena in LavaMod with just the ammo pickups given to you. At some point, you will run out of shells and need to switch to either bullets, cells, or rockets in order to complete an arena. Because LavaMod is designed around a Famine Mode+ playstyle by default, you can't just weasel your way out of an encounter by chainsawing for more shells every 20 seconds, either. Proper inventory management is the key to victory--with healthy doses of ammo found in secrets to help you along the way, of course.

See full playlist of features from newest to oldest here.

When will LavaMod be released?
Soon™. Currently, I am finishing up the last of the first passes on the levels where I add more item pickups. From there, I'll move on to the second passes where I'll add in the new enemy encounters, secrets, and fix any visual bugs with my item placements. After that, it will just be a matter of finishing any gameplay modifiers I haven't been able to figure out yet and then packaging the mod for release. The 1.0 release will feature the whole stock campaign and should hopefully be released by the summer of 2021. The DLC campaigns and Master Levels will unfortunately have to wait for later releases. Someday, I'd even like to go back and make LavaMod for Doom 2016, but it would take a lot of work.

Will this mod help me win in Battlemode?

Spoiler

Not unless you want to get banned for life.

Edited by I Drink Lava : Fixed Mega Mirror link again

hey thats a really cool idea to a mod

though my pc cant even run 2016 so i wont be playing it until a few years down the line

15 hours ago, Martin-CAI said:

Wow, it sounds big. Looking forward to try it. 

Back in December, I offered a beta test of the Super Gore Nest level to the few hundred people who watched my progress videos. Not a single person signed up, not even the two people who were interested. I may host a private beta test here if anyone is interested. I kind of want to keep it away from the actual modding Discord server because I fear people there might copy my files.

I thought I recognized your name, then remembered that I watched a few of your videos some time back because I was trying to implement 3D audio for Unreal Gold and retail Half Life. Nice to see you here, and nice to see that Eternal already has a burgeoning mod scene. D16 has been out for almost 5 years, and I don't think I ever saw any overhaul mods of this scale for it, especially not less than a year into the game's life.

I'm guessing the Nudoom mod community hangs out on ModDB or Nexus? I'll look into how installation for this stuff works. Would be nice sink more hours into the game, as cosmetic events aren't exactly something worth playing for.

Looks like there's something for everyone here. Very ambitious!

I'm curious; does this mean that the community has made its own modding tools? Between efforts like this, proteh's randomizer mod, and Delta's upcoming Master Campaign Mod, I'm impressed at what's being done so far without official support.

1 hour ago, NoXion said:

I'm curious; does this mean that the community has made its own modding tools? Between efforts like this, proteh's randomizer mod, and Delta's upcoming Master Campaign Mod, I'm impressed at what's being done so far without official support.

It's a very hacky method. A handful of dedicated modders reverse-engineered the file format and learned how to extract and replace certain resources with patched .EXEs and an injector. So far, you can either alter the game's .decl files (for altering entitydefs), .entities files (for adding new entitydefs to previously existing maps), .blang files (the various text throughout the game) or texture files (most of the available mods are cancerous memes). You can't import anything new or alter level geometry, you just replace what's already in there. I would love for someone to figure out the sound format so I could replace some of the wimpy weapon sound effects, but it seems to be encrypted by third-party Wwise middleware that requires a commercial license.

5 hours ago, DELUXE said:

I'll look into how installation for this stuff works. Would be nice sink more hours into the game, as cosmetic events aren't exactly something worth playing for.

There is a skin unlocker tool, but I believe it only works client-side, not server-side. The admin of the Discord server also forbids users from unlocking the paid-for Twitch Prime skins even though you technically could unlock them with the tool.

The community seems to be very insular and doesn't really spread their work far outside of a few people who upload to NexusMods. A lot of them are younger people who maybe played Brutal Doom once and maybe bought DUSK during a Steam sale, so they're not too familiar with Doomworld if they're even aware it exists. Some of the best custom Master Levels by elizabethany and FaDa aren't even up on NexusMods, just the server which has no real categorization for finding older content.

On 3/9/2021 at 4:01 PM, I Drink Lava said:

The goal of LavaMod is to tear down Hugo Martin's "Fun Zone" and let players rebuild it for themselves in order to create their own ideal Doom Eternal experiences.

Anything is possible!

You will never be able to just Super Shotgun your way out of any one arena in LavaMod with just the ammo pickups given to you. At some point, you will run out of shells and need to switch to either bullets, cells, or rockets in order to complete an arena. Because LavaMod is designed around a Famine Mode+ playstyle by default, you can't just weasel your way out of an encounter by chainsawing for more shells every 20 seconds, either. Proper inventory management is the key to victory--with healthy doses of ammo found in secrets to help you along the way, of course.

okay so I’m selective in my quotes but these don’t match up. Can we create the experiences we want or will the mod force a restrictive play style on us?

Have I read this wrong?

20 hours ago, thewormofautumn said:

Can we create the experiences we want or will the mod force a restrictive play style on us?

The default installation package will be set up with the intended setup that the mod was balanced around. Customizing the mod will be as simple as deleting the .ZIP files you don't want or replacing them with the optional 2016 .ZIP files.

Spoiler

For instance, if you do not want to play with the default LavaMod Famine Mode+ playstyle and would rather play with the 2016 Free-For-All playstyle, then you would go into the Mods folder, delete the .ZIP files labelled "LavaMod_-_No_Ammo/Armor/Health_Drops_From_Enemies.ZIP", and replace them with the lootdrop .ZIP files from the optional 2016 components folder.

It might sound complicated on paper, but I'm sure most users will have no problem setting it up. A customizable mod launcher would be ideal for something like this, but that's beyond my area of expertise. I could bring up the subject on the modding Discord, though.

Well, two days later and I've gotten the hang of messing with mods. For being an entirely unofficial, community-made way of injecting files, the process is more straightforward than I presumed. Downloaded the Master Campaign with recommended tweaks, and the game felt like new. Whenever you're ready to release 1.0, I'll be eager to give it a shot :v)

12 minutes ago, DELUXE said:

Well, two days later and I've gotten the hang of messing with mods. For being an entirely unofficial, community-made way of injecting files, the process is more straightforward than I presumed. Downloaded the Master Campaign with recommended tweaks, and the game felt like new. Whenever you're ready to release 1.0, I'll be eager to give it a shot :v)

Do mods like master campaign work with DRM-free .exe of eternal?

On 3/14/2021 at 9:09 PM, Stoltzmann said:

Do mods like master campaign work with DRM-free .exe of eternal?

If the file structure is the same, then I’d wager that mods would work. The biggest issue would probably be version compatibility, so if your DRM-free .exe is the one that was accidentally shipped with the game at launch, something like Master Campaign likely won’t work since it was designed around later updates. 

I have both DLC's still unplayed as i kinda got sick of the constant weapon switching and low ammo etc but i'm def gonna get back into DE after this mod comes out! DE needs more of that classic feel.

11 hours ago, Muusi said:

I have both DLC's still unplayed as i kinda got sick of the constant weapon switching and low ammo etc but i'm def gonna get back into DE after this mod comes out! DE needs more of that classic feel.

Why you hate weapons switch? Its fun. Ballista for weakpoints, empty sticky bombs carousel into mob, rocket salvos for big ones, minigun for knights and barons...
You want to spray everything with minigun or rocket barrage? Activate cheats then!

3 hours ago, Yurax said:

Why you hate weapons switch? Its fun. Ballista for weakpoints, empty sticky bombs carousel into mob, rocket salvos for big ones, minigun for knights and barons...
You want to spray everything with minigun or rocket barrage? Activate cheats then!

I just want to use the weapon i feel like in any given situation. Mostly it's the kickass Shotgun and it's Full-Auto barrel mod. Now when the honeymoon with DE has long gone, i feel like 2016 had better gameplay but both of them lack something the classic games have. I want a ton of slower monsters and have them not mostly confined in huge Quake III style arenas.

I'm not at all saying they're bad games at all and it's not a shame to be less than the legends that are the classic Doom games.

16 hours ago, Yurax said:

You do realize this project was created as the definitive answer to these kinds of strawman arguments, right?

12 hours ago, Muusi said:

I want a ton of slower monsters and have them not mostly confined in huge Quake III style arenas.

It's impossible to do this within engine constraints, as levels are loaded in chunks at each checkpoint and despawn everything prior. I wanted to do a non-linear Super Gore Nest or have some cool out-of-bounds secrets in some levels but it just isn't possible. I guess you could use the classic Doom movement speed mutator to emulate that feeling of slow monsters, though I must warn you: it plays like complete garbage due to a lack of acceleration parameters.

2 hours ago, I Drink Lava said:

It's impossible to do this within engine constraints, as levels are loaded in chunks at each checkpoint and despawn everything prior. I wanted to do a non-linear Super Gore Nest or have some cool out-of-bounds secrets in some levels but it just isn't possible. I guess you could use the classic Doom movement speed mutator to emulate that feeling of slow monsters, though I must warn you: it plays like complete garbage due to a lack of acceleration parameters.

Oh i wasn't expecting this from your mod, i was just describing what my ideal new Doom games would play like. Your mod seems excellent :)

Did i already say i want this so bad? Im not playing the DLC's before this baby comes out.

Also, sound modding gives me hope for someone to whip up a classic PSX Doom soundpack😍

Did i already say i want this so bad? Im not playing the DLC's before this baby comes out.

You'd have to wait a long time, then. The initial LavaMod release is only the main campaign levels. The DLCs and Master Levels might not even come until 2022 or even possibly 2023. I have obligations outside this mod's development, and I've been letting my main channel's content (video game HRTF demonstrations) fall behind just so I could finish this massive project faster.