Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
I Drink Lava

LavaMod for Doom Eternal - Upcoming Gameplay Overhaul mod

1 minute ago, I Drink Lava said:

The initial LavaMod release is only the main campaign levels. The DLCs and Master Levels might not even come until 2022 or even possibly 2023.

Fuck the DLC's then i just want everything i see on your YouTube channelšŸ˜

This looks really awesome!
I personally hoped for a mod that would make the game play more like what we were shown in the first ever gameplay reveal.
The game had a much more "Doom 2016" feel to it.

Hey all you fine people, it's been a while since the last major update. I figured I'd shed some light on where LavaMod currently is right now.

Ā 

Over two weeks ago, I had a falling out with the Doom 2016+ Modding server over the Per Kristian HQ Doom soundpack being "piracy in spirit" [yes, really] as well as my use of the 7zip file format. It led to some very unprofessional interactions with some of the staff, including Horde Mode and Randomizer creator Proteh. I had left the server, sickened by its cliquish, gatekeeping mentality, but I had to suck up to one of the admins and return there because Kaiser_will's server did not have adequate information for certain features. There is a weird air of "Twitter drama" that permeates the NuDoom modding community. I won't get into the details out of fear of breaking Doomworld's rules, but it's getting to the point where doxxing and brigading is happening. It's gotten so bad, some of the most prominent modders like Delta have stopped posting entirely outside of mod updates. I myself plan to leave the community for good once LavaMod is finished; I don't even care about rebalancing the DLC levels or Master levels anymore.

Ā 

The day I left the main server the first time, I posted an early beta version of LavaMod on Kaiser_will's server that had most of the features and half the levels. Much to my dismay, the Taras Nabad ML came out the very next day and broke the LavaMod beta entirely. This was bad, of course. However, it did have me re-evaluate the mod and how to package it. So, here's the skinny:

• The LavaMod rebalanced levels are almost complete with just some tweaks needed here and there. The 2nd half still needs Vanilla weapons to be playtested, but that can come at a later date.
  • Real meathook nodes are actually problematic compared to my fake ones because it's impossible to use the "hide" flag on them and some of my secrets were dependent on hidden meathook nodes becoming visible.
  • I was considering adding some of the DLC demons to the main campaign, notably the Blood Maykrs since I felt they were underutilized in the DLCs. Let me know if you want this or if you think it's too "lore-unfriendly". Ones that require certain weapon mods to kill like Spirits and Stone Imps will not be included, of course.
  • The LavaMod weapons are mostly completed, with just Lock-On Burst needing and overhaul and Sticky Bomb and Lightning Gun needing new masteries.
  • The 2016 weapons are still problematic, because some just won't work right like the Lock-On Burst mastery or Heat Blast and some I can't figure out without accurate damage data like the Precision Bolt and Siege Mode.
  • The gameplay tweaks are mostly finished, with just a few I promised like classic Doom movement speed (trust me, you don't want this) needing to be finished.
  • I found a new way to package mods that should be much easier. It turns out you can just throw everything in the highest-priority file (gameresources_patch2) and it still loads them correctly. It might take me a little while to restructure everything, but it will be worth it in the end as a form of future-proofing.

Ā 

Times have been tough this last month, both from the drama, real-world stuff, and from other people making mods that threaten mine (someone else made a 2016 gameplay mod with actual sound rips included) but I thank you all for your continued support and I'm going to try my hardest to release the first LavaMod beta real soon. As a little bonus, here's a video of a failed feature that I always wanted to include but just did not work right in practice. It will not be included in the finished LavaMod.

Ā 

Ā 

Posted (edited)

How do you get into modding a video game and suddenly people want to find out your address and come to your house? Most Discord/insert any other service name groups seem to draw only smooth-brained idiots to them.Ā  It's sad that an another project is ruined by literal, actual retards on the internet. Was really looking forward to this but now i might as well uninstall DE again. If you're in a Discord group and don't want your stuff ruined, all you should do is post progress, ignore all questions, and call it a night. Do not participate in conversation. I'm legit angry now.

I am very sorry to hear you experienced this, Lava. I never like to hear of creative types getting fingerforked by drama coming fromĀ self-appointedĀ arbiters of content. I hope you continue to create and share things and that you don't face too much BS from psycho creeps.

@Muusi Don't be mistaken, LavaMod is still a work in progress and I'm really hoping to get it released by the end of August or September. In fact, I just finished my first pass of Sentinel Prime adding ammo to the pre-fight room and the actual arena. I have big plans for this level, actually. I'm planning on fleshing out Sentinel Prime in a way that's still technically lore-friendly and pleases both the vanilla+ and the Master Level crowds. I'm also reconsidering how I approach old encounters after getting feedback from Kaiser_will that my arenas were "too slow".

Ā 

@UnclePhil I'm honestly more afraid of the "git gud" crowd ripping me apart for adding more ammo to the levels than anything the modding server has done so far. Re-reading that "Ammo Holy Grail found?" thread and seeing Dragonfly of all people give a like to someone insulting me and my video was quite a low blow, I'm not gonna lie.