Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

[GZDoom] WMC01: The Rising

Looks interesting. Will try it out and write an short review later.

Offtop question. I didn't see any classic wads with Doom 3 textures before... @Doomkid mentioned 

in another theme, but does any more of such content exist or it's unique things in total for now? Topic with textures is kinda dead today... If it is then, perhaps, we can make a short list of it.

Edited by UnknDoomer

Is it me or there is a severe lack of health items in the first map?

10 hours ago, BlipBlerp said:

Is it me or there is a severe lack of health items in the first map?

It's not just you lol. That first map's stingy as fuck with health on UV, holy shit.

12 hours ago, UnknDoomer said:

Looks interesting. Will try it out and write an short review later.

Offtop question. I didn't see any classic wads with Doom 3 textures before... @Doomkid mentioned 

in another theme, but does any more of such content exist or it's unique things in total for now? Topic with textures is kinda dead today... If it is then, perhaps, we can make a short list of it.

There's actually a very low amount of Doom 3 inspired maps out there. Some WADs are loosely based around Doom 3, but there's no major usage of  the Doom 3 texture pack.

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

It's not just you lol. That first map's stingy as fuck with health on UV, holy shit.

Haha! UV is quite a bitch here. I do recommend lowering your skill level if MAP01 was quite a bit hard, some maps will surprise you more :P

A couple of issues so far:

-MAP03: I am stuck in the screenshot provided. Went trough the pictured door and heard something opening behind (the teleporter closet at the right). Now the door won't open again, and that "teleporter" doesn't seem to work.

-MAP04: Terrible frame drops in the final arena. I think the reflective floors from the small sectors surrounding the teleport landing are the offenders. You don't even get to notice them during a regular playthrough tbh.

Screenshot_Doom_20210426_194545.png

3 hours ago, pagb said:

Terrible frame drops in the final arena. I think the reflective floors from the small sectors surrounding the teleport landing are the offenders.

You can set "gl_plane_reflections" to 0 in the console to turn off reflective floors.  I usually have them off as a matter of preference, but that should give you a huge speedboost there, too.

23 hours ago, UnknDoomer said:

Offtop question. I didn't see any classic wads with Doom 3 textures before

does any more of such content exist or it's unique things in total for now? Topic with textures is kinda dead today... If it is then, perhaps, we can make a short list of it.

Here's another one that's pretty good: Primary Excavation Site

On 4/26/2021 at 12:52 PM, pagb said:

A couple of issues so far:

-MAP03: I am stuck in the screenshot provided. Went trough the pictured door and heard something opening behind (the teleporter closet at the right). Now the door won't open again, and that "teleporter" doesn't seem to work.

I have no idea why that teleporter doesn't work and you are not supposed to go there, it is meant to be for Co-op use only.

Starting things off, we’ve decided to select a not-so-common theme to represent our first project.

@Endless, in case you will be probably interested in. Ideas for future projects. Might be converted in separate journal regular subject also, say each 3-6 months, called: "What not exist in classic in Doom yet / will be interesting to see". Some ideas for future works:

Edited by UnknDoomer

Another thing in the style of Doom 3, notable for the active use of the previously mentioned texture pack. The plot revolves around the fact that demons have kidnapped a famous Doomworld forum member under the nickname @Endless, without which the existence of a local activity called "Wadazine" is in question now and you have to save him. Along the way the journey turns out to be more difficult than it might seem and the player plunges deeper into the depths of hell.

72fc62850a9at.jpg 3168e3e58814t.jpg

50d86cba52bft.jpg b25c5c516974t.jpg

222e3718fbd2t.jpg

Settings and other:

* GzDoom 4.5.0.

* Difficulty - "Ultra-Violence". Despite the initially seeming lightness the levels are difficult and in this case are clearly not designed for the casual play on UV. Finding secrets can make it a little easier to walkthrough. A striking example of this is M6 - originally a compact map of 179 opponents. In fact there were 300+ of them in my case and after the picking up of the blue key a battle with a cyberdemon will take place in a small location, when there is only a double-barreled gun and a few missiles in the arsenal available.

* 6 levels, no secret onces available.

* Some demons, like pinkies in the original Doom, have become transparent.

* Severe shortage of ammo.

* The start of each level is initiated with a pistol only.

* On M5 "Wadazine" magazines act as secrets. 10 pieces, cleverly hidden in places (I managed to collect 9 of them). Collecting each one gives one or another item, and, sometimes, a monster teleports with it, which can be depicted on the cover of specific one.

* Pop-up messages are used as an element of communication with the player. It is somewhat reminiscent of the text in the middle of the levels in the spirit of Corridor 7: Alien Invasion (1994).

* Opponents at the end of M6 will spawn until you kill 2 cyberdemons. Just behind the teleport you can find a secret with the BFG. I recommend saving charges for those.

Pros:

+ Balanced interesting maps.

+ M3 and especially the M5 and M6 captures the atmosphere of the original quite well.

Contras:

- There are many annoying invisible walls on M1 with not much actual logical use, which are, by other hand, will not protect you from enemy attacks. On the M3 these interfere with attacking mancubuses at one spot, i.e. you can shoot them only from one specific place, so it's easy to kill youself if you stick to rockets.

- At the end of M1 the appearance of enemies at the end of the location may be slowed down.

- The machine gunners on the M1 are reminiscent of Plutonia in a bad sense of the word. It's hard to rid to them and they, in turn, can easily kill you in a couple of shots no matter where you are and which distance is.

Edited by UnknDoomer

Going to start this a bit later today. I have my own Doom3 sounds mod I made after ROE came out so it will fit in very well here.

Did a quick test run and found a fence in map1 that isn't tagged for collision, just after the MegaArmor secret at the start.

5 minutes ago, Bryan T said:

Is jumping intended for this? 

Some maps allow jumping, like my map05. If it's on, then you can jump, but afaik not needed to complete any ofthe maps.

I can say that this is my favourite Doom Project ever made. I never played Doom 3, but it's sick

or it may look like this...

Spoiler

x1x7l9.png

i8iy9j.png

suck it, Doom3! ;-)

hi. may have found a bug. played on uv using gzdoom 4.5.0 at map01. found the secret teleporter leading to the boss room. managed to kill all monsters from the ledge above the boss room, including the cyberdemon, but did not descend into the room itself. instead, took the teleporter on the ledge, then entered the boss room through the boss room's door. then picked up all health and ammo found in the boss room, anticipating a final fight because the monster count indicated 38 (15%) monsters remaining. but no monster came. also could not exit the room since the door which was used to enter the room was found locked. the only way to proceed was to free endless from his cage, forfeiting the remaining 15% monsters.

will provide further findings if found during gameplay. do disregard the time taken, due to taking time sight-seeing and note-taking (i'm still learning how to create maps). very beautiful map, and a real pleasure playing it. tq.

edit: forgot about the spectre at the mouth of the secret tunnel above the boxes. when ran on the boxes, it did not attack to indicate a hidden tunnel. fortunately found the computer area map, so the tunnel was an easy find. but those that could not get hold of the computer area map (a secret itself), may have trouble locating the hidden tunnel.

aAPjtaJ.png

Edited by terminator

@terminator Thanks for the bug report! We'll get working on it asap. We had a sky problem before but I thought we had it fix, looks like I'm blind :P

2 hours ago, Teo Slayer said:

Ofc I'll read it, but I don't know where to read it xD

Here ya go:

Mostly really good, great use of textures and world-building. Stuff like the shiny floors and reverb caverns are a great touch.

Varies from map to map, but some of them are way too low on health but absolutely jam-packed with ammo. Some switches and buttons are also really hard to discern, I spent a good 40 minutes trying to find an obscure but nessecary button in Map05

There's also one really annoying secret in Map3 where you take a teleporter to a secret zone, and then get teleported back out at the end of it, but the destination teleporter exit is facing towards the secret teleporter entrance, so you are highly likely to run back into it and have to traverse back. Just need to flip the exit around the other way.

Up to Spooky Panties now. Not a phrase I thought I'd write, but that's how Remilia rolls, hahaha.

Edited by DarkQuill

10 hours ago, DarkQuill said:

I spent a good 40 minutes trying to find an obscure but nessecary button in Map05

Which one exactly? There was a problem with switch in columns hall, but i added bright lights to it.

On 6/4/2021 at 9:34 PM, 4MaTC said:

Which one exactly? There was a problem with switch in columns hall, but i added bright lights to it.

Might be the same one you're talking about, it's in a computer/server room with some Shotgunners and Revenants, directly up from the Cyberdemon on the automap.

Finished the last map, was a really neat finish to the mapset with a boss battle that spices things up a little.

Big sucker for music, and the music used in these maps was also super awesome. Good blend of action and atmosphere. The magazines as secrets was a nice touch (couldn't clear the Way Too Many Revenants one in Map5).

Looking forward to the next mapset releases!

Edited by DarkQuill : More feedback

wFmaI6y.jpg

Had to check this out after enjoying WMC02!

Finished a little faster than some others, but probably because I ran HMP and I sucked at finding a lot of these secrets haha. Think I only found one of the ten cool Wadazine collectibles. The few secrets that I did find though helped a TON. Ammo was really tight in some of these maps. Navigation was a little weird at times and some switches were hard to spot. It was mainly just M1 where I wasn't sure what triggered some of the doors and it took me a second to realize I needed to run through the lava river to progress. Beyond that though, the trade off seemed worth it because these aesthetics were really awesome. The glowy lighting effects from the oranges, greens, and blues were very cool. There were some nods to Doom 3, like a short hallway in M5 with flickering lights and a pinkies trap heh. M4 was brighter and a nice change of pace scenery wise. Overall M3, M5, and M6 were probably my favorites, but this whole thing was a lot of fun and had an awesome vibe.

Some screens and spots I liked: https://imgur.com/a/aNPFvai

n5PCMWe.jpg

On 7/13/2021 at 2:46 PM, Xeogred said:

wFmaI6y.jpg

Had to check this out after enjoying WMC02!

Finished a little faster than some others, but probably because I ran HMP and I sucked at finding a lot of these secrets haha. Think I only found one of the ten cool Wadazine collectibles. The few secrets that I did find though helped a TON. Ammo was really tight in some of these maps. Navigation was a little weird at times and some switches were hard to spot. It was mainly just M1 where I wasn't sure what triggered some of the doors and it took me a second to realize I needed to run through the lava river to progress. Beyond that though, the trade off seemed worth it because these aesthetics were really awesome. The glowy lighting effects from the oranges, greens, and blues were very cool. There were some nods to Doom 3, like a short hallway in M5 with flickering lights and a pinkies trap heh. M4 was brighter and a nice change of pace scenery wise. Overall M3, M5, and M6 were probably my favorites, but this whole thing was a lot of fun and had an awesome vibe.

Some screens and spots I liked: https://imgur.com/a/aNPFvai

n5PCMWe.jpg

Honestly, I like WMC better overall. Probably just the thematics....

Hi guys, I started to play your project. It looks very good.

I found a little bug in the first map (RC2 version)

If you will fall off from these stairs to the left, you will be stuck below.

Screenshot_Doom_20210724_135856.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210724_135907.png