Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Why Was Quake 3 Arena Multiplayer Only?

Quake 1 and 2 had actual single player campaigns with great multiplayer, but Quake 3 ditched the traditional single player and went with bot matches instead. That's a real let down. Quake 3 would have been perfect if it had a single player campaign reminiscent of Quake 1 and 2.

The basic premise of the Q3A setting doesn't really lend itself to a single-player campaign other than what is present: a series of bot matches culminating in the fight with Xaero.

The year it's 2000! The explosion of more accessible internet servers and conections, paired with the BOOM and greatness of LAN Partys and Cybers Cafe, make a new trend on PC Gaming, games focused in MP Only.

This would be the year of popular game multiplayers, like:

Unreal Tournament.
Counter Strike.
WoW III.

Dota MOD.

Id always made they games had MP functions, but comparing how different it's playing Q2 SP and MP, made them retrink again, for the better, change and inovation it's something of iD Software, and they trinked.

What's if we made the ULTIMATE MP LAN PARTY GAME! Thus, was born Quake 3!

Really, it's one of thoses games that's you just needed to be there to enjoy it at they full potential, and looking how many games are splited in Arenas FPS only because people crave more for Quake 3, it's a testament of how important was for iD Software. 

Im enjoyed playing the Q3 in a local cyber cafe, but many people in my country prefered HL DM and CS 1.6, so, im really enjoyed at their full potential when QL was free to play.

Edited by jamondemarnatural

1 hour ago, Gez said:

The basic premise of the Q3A setting doesn't really lend itself to a single-player campaign other than what is present: a series of bot matches culminating in the fight with Xaero.

Which is a shame, because the game's opening cutscene cruelly teases the player by showing one of the characters fighting hordes of enemies:

Also, is there not a GZDoom total conversion that basically turns Quake III into a single-player experience? Hunter's Moon, I believe it is called.

Edited by Rudolph

1 hour ago, The Strife Commando said:

Quake 1 and 2 had actual single player campaigns with great multiplayer, but Quake 3 ditched the traditional single player and went with bot matches instead.

The years were 1999. Deathmatch was coming up as a completely seperate means to gameplay, with processing power being sufficient enough to have proper botcode. Doom may have coined Deathmatch and Quake may have brought the battle to LANParties, But Q3 and UT were the final anthem in the Mulitplayer Deathmatch song.

That's a real let down.

You don't know the market of 1999.

Quake 3 would have been perfect if it had a single player campaign reminiscent of Quake 1 and 2.

This is really the oddest way to complain about Quake 3. ''If only it had singleplayer!''

Carmack's rationalization for the decision, logged in his .plan file at the time, was that not having to focus on singleplayer PvE experiences results in a tighter PvP multiplayer experience, since they don't have to effectively design two games. All the time making single player levels, designing and balancing enemies, working out the game flow, and all of that can be devoted entirely to multiplayer PvP. MP was hot and many more people were getting internet connections by this time, so it made sense, and hey even Epic was doing it with Unreal Tournament.

Interestingly, Quake 3 originally started out as something called “Quake Trinity” which would have likely involved some sort of singleplayer.

27 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Which is a shame, because the game's opening cutscene cruelly teases the player by showing one of the characters fighting hordes of enemies.

If anything, I think that’s to kind of just show off the kinds of places our characters come from.

13 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

If anything, I think that’s to kind of just show off the kinds of places our characters come from.

That would have been a good premise for a single-player campaign: give each character a set of levels where they get to kick ass in their own respective realm before they all got teleported to the arena.

the question shouldint be why quake 3 arena was online only but why was quake 3 arena called quake 3 instead of just quake arena

5 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

the question shouldint be why quake 3 arena was online only but why was quake 3 arena called quake 3 instead of just quake arena

Why was Quake 2 called Quake 2 when it had nothing to do with Quake 1? Brand recognition. And yeah, it wasn't until they revamped the engine and re-released it with more content that it was called Quake 3: Arena. 

2 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

Quake 1 and 2 had actual single player campaigns with great multiplayer, but Quake 3 ditched the traditional single player and went with bot matches instead. That's a real let down. Quake 3 would have been perfect if it had a single player campaign reminiscent of Quake 1 and 2.

Two words.

Unreal. Tournament.

Because $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Let's face it, id wanted to continue cashing in on the popularity of deathmatch. There's literally no other vision behind the game. It's a fun game, but it was painfully obvious at the time that they were just reading the market. And it was a sound financial decision. But there's a reason nobody cares about it any more - cookie cutter DM games are easily replaced by newer cookie cutter DM games.

id made the right decision choosing to go for arena battles in favor of a more traditional fps experience. Quake 3 was the first Quake game I ever played, and while I do think that Unreal Tournament is better, Quake 3 will always hold a special place in my heart. 

Because it was the hot thing at the time, after internet started infesting every household, with titles such as Unreal Tournament, CS, and more soon to become hits, so id naturally wanted a slice of the pie too.

And because, without singleplayer, you can focus better on just one thing, PvP.

Quake was always more well known for multiplayer rather then it's single player.

So why not capitalize on that and make a game solely around multiplayer.

4 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Which is a shame, because the game's opening cutscene cruelly teases the player by showing one of the characters fighting hordes of enemies

I love this intro. So badass.

15 minutes ago, Nevander said:

I love this intro. So badass.

Hell yeah. Although it did age a bit in terms of animations, watching it made me want to start mowing down hordes of zombiemen with a chaingun. Lucky for me, it turns out that there is a Quake Champions: Doom Edition that allows me to do just that - as Sarge, no less!

Also, Quake III's soundtrack might be a mixed bag for me, but that theme song that plays over the gameplay footage definitely rules.

Edited by Rudolph

3 hours ago, magicsofa said:

Because $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Let's face it, id wanted to continue cashing in on the popularity of deathmatch. There's literally no other vision behind the game. It's a fun game, but it was painfully obvious at the time that they were just reading the market. And it was a sound financial decision. But there's a reason nobody cares about it any more - cookie cutter DM games are easily replaced by newer cookie cutter DM games.

That seems an overly cynical take. DM was becoming huge and it would have almost seemed weird if id hadn't gone down that route for Q3, just like Epic did for UT.  I'd also argue Q3 had no less "vision" about it than Quake or Quake 2: games that primarily existed for the engine Carmack had made.

Calling it a "cookie cutter deathmatch game" seems rather revisionist too when it, along with UT, were the first AAA blockbuster deathmatch-focused games ever released. It's like calling John Carpenter's Halloween a "cookie cutter slasher".

I wonder if that move really paid off for Id Software, as they did not make another multiplayer-exclusive title until Quake Champions - which I hear has not done very well. Even Quake IV - which, granted, was made by Raven Software - was a return to a mostly single-player formula.

8 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Hell yeah. Although it did age a bit in terms of animations, watching it made me want to start mowing down hordes of zombiemen with a chaingun. Lucky for me, it turns out that there is a Quake Champions: Doom Edition that allows me to do just that - as Sarge, no less!

Also, Quake III's soundtrack might be a mixed bag for me, but that theme song that plays over the gameplay footage definitely rules.

Quake 3's intro was ahead of its time. The CGI there was very advanced.

Quake 4 came close to being Quake 3 with an actual single player campaign, but the gameplay in that is not fully Quake, and the level design is linear. Better than having the single player be a bunch of bot matches though.

12 hours ago, Rudolph said:

That would have been a good premise for a single-player campaign: give each character a set of levels where they get to kick ass in their own respective realm before they all got teleported to the arena.

Sure, it would have been hell of cool.

But then you have to realize how much work this would have needed: each character coming from a different world, and fighting different enemies, that means basically making one small game per character. Okay, so some characters come from the same world, so it's not exactly one per character, but still, you're talking about:

• A Doom campaign for Doom, Crash, Phobos
  • A Quake 1 campaign for Ranger, Wrack
  • A Quake 2 campaign for Bitterman, Grunt, Major, Sarge, Tank Jr.,
  • A Heavy Metal campaign for Hunter, Klesk, Sorlag, Uriel
  • Orbb and Xaero don't need campaign, one was built for the Arena and the other has been there for too long

• I suppose the rest of them could get some sort of CoD-like military campaign heavy on cyberpunk and crime elements.

That's still five games minimum, with all the assets this requires.

13 hours ago, Bauul said:

That seems an overly cynical take.

Guilty as charged... I'm an overly cynical person.

DM was becoming huge and it would have almost seemed weird if id hadn't gone down that route for Q3, just like Epic did for UT.  I'd also argue Q3 had no less "vision" about it than Quake or Quake 2: games that primarily existed for the engine Carmack had made.

Sure, it would have been unusual, but the predictability of companies isn't something to be applauded in my opinion. Look, I'm not saying it's a bad game - I had a blast playing it. But it really is just an arena shooter. Q1 had a semi-cohesive dark fantasy aesthetic, whereas Q3 is just yeah here's some castles and space platforms. It's got nothing on UT, which has more creative game modes, incredible atmosphere, and more variety of weapons. It's a good game, but it seems a lot more "just for the engine" than Q1 or UT.

Calling it a "cookie cutter deathmatch game" seems rather revisionist too when it, along with UT, were the first AAA blockbuster deathmatch-focused games ever released. It's like calling John Carpenter's Halloween a "cookie cutter slasher".

I had a similar opinion when it came out. It was fun, cool engine, plays like butter... and that's it. I don't hate id for it, just don't worship them either.

12 hours ago, Gez said:

Sure, it would have been hell of cool.

But then you have to realize how much work this would have needed

Id Software could have collaborated with other studios for these, like they did with the Quake and Quake II expansion packs.

Alternatively, they could have made one surreal single-player campaign common to all characters that serves as some sort of challenge/training ground for every abducted warrior and as such is a melting pot of everyone's past experience, including locations visited and enemies fought.

Edited by Rudolph

I own Quake III for Dreamcast funny you mention it because I recently bought it on ebay just have it in my dreamcast collection ,I don't like the controls and the CPU in this game are pretty hard to beat . I believe there was another game like this where you had to play against bots instead of having a story mode ,007 game on original xbox ???. Anyone know which one I'm talking about?. That game pissed me off .

3 hours ago, SaturnDoomGBAdoom said:

I own Quake III for Dreamcast funny you mention it because I recently bought it on ebay just have it in my dreamcast collection ,I don't like the controls and the CPU in this game are pretty hard to beat . I believe there was another game like this where you had to play against bots instead of having a story mode ,007 game on original xbox ???. Anyone know which one I'm talking about?. That game pissed me off .

There is Unreal Tournament where you play against bots only. But that game is already mentioned in this thread.

On 3/11/2021 at 7:15 PM, The Strife Commando said:

Quake 3 would have been perfect if ...

Quake 3 Arena WAS the perfect game in 1999/2000.

Quake 3 still is one of the best Multiplayer Games i can imagine.

I can see gameplaywise why all 3 Games are called the same, even if they have storywise nothing in common.

Unreal (Tournament) and also Doom and Quake online Play would be the Reason why they choosed to make it multiplayer only.

I love Quake 3.

Sad that they f*cked up the newer online iteration (i was surprisngly good in it :>) and that Quake Champions has nearly no Audience.

How did they fuck up Quake Live, apart from removing the violence? The game is better balanced than Quake 3, and I'd say that's more important than removing the gore. I haven't played Quake Live in years, but I hear it's still doing well.

On 3/11/2021 at 4:18 PM, Rudolph said:

Also, is there not a GZDoom total conversion that basically turns Quake III into a single-player experience? Hunter's Moon, I believe it is called.

Yes that one is made by me, which have a thread in the forums but people really didn't care much.

But yeah Quake 3 doesn't have Singleplayer because id Software saw the potential for PvP after Quake 2 MP modes getting played alot during the early QuakeCons, so they decided to pickup what Quake 2 had for MP and made Quake 3 with more balance towards that, perfecting the gameplay for skilled players, the Singleplayer it had was just a warump for newcomers.

Quake 3 Revolution for PS2 even tried to add a real finale to that campaign by making the Vadrigar himself appear, however that fight was just like the others except the enemy was tied to use BFG10K only.

22 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

Quake 3 Arena WAS the perfect game in 1999/2000.

untrue, unreal tournament was and still is better