Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

dis

first, to disable third person mode

*types idstopitbitch*

alright, i dunno how many times this has been asked (i'm a newbie, don't cha know?) but i'm asking. first, what does e3m8's title 'dis' mean? now for the second. e3 is set in hell itself. i didn't feel that m8 really resembled 'hell'; it felt more like one of the moon base levels to me. and, being the last level of doom before e4 came out, it wasn't really too challenging for a final level. anyone know why id did this? and anyone have links to more hell-themed and more challenging e3m8 wads? sorry if i seem like a bitch.

*types idstopitbitch*

johnatone thanks you for your time and any replies.

long live the mancubi.

monochrome said:

anyone know why id did this? and anyone have links to more hell-themed and more challenging e3m8 wads? sorry if i seem like a bitch.

You could try my e3m8 for freedoom... :)
I can send it to your email, aim or whatever.

Afaik, id did the E3 maps first - they likely did "Dis" first and when they did that the id mappers weren't so experienced in mapping with the the (at that time) new engine, so they made a simple, surreal map.

This would also explain why e3m1 is the only really hellish Doom map (that and then the e3 secret level of course) - I remember when I first fired that map up after beating e2 and I was like "Whoa! This place looks really bad and disgusting - just like Hell should be!".

dsm said:

Afaik, id did the E3 maps first - they likely did "Dis" first and when they did that the id mappers weren't so experienced in mapping with the the (at that time) new engine, so they made a simple, surreal map.

Hmm, I still think they should of tried harder, I mean this was supposed to be the final map in the game.

This would also explain why e3m1 is the only really hellish Doom map (that and then the e3 secret level of course)

I respect your opinion and all, but come on. E3M1 doesn't seem very hellish to me. It looks half-baked, IMO, and it doesn't seem Hellish enough.

DooMBoy said:

I respect your opinion and all, but come on. E3M1 doesn't seem very hellish to me. It looks half-baked, IMO, and it doesn't seem Hellish enough.

Yes yes, the map is very simple and all, but the way it starts is kinda cool. An evil eye looking directly at you when the map loads, intestines as walls all around you. Then you press the "button" and find yourself on a large flat plane made of intestines - that's the imho very hellish part and none of the other E3 maps inspired the same hellish, disgusting feel that this "introduction" did.

Well, I suppose you are right on that part, but the rest of E3M1 seems like something out of E2 or something. If they were really going for an E3 feel, they should of made everything 'organic', like make the floors fleshy, the walls fleshy, and the ceilings fleshy. Then they could have done something twisted with this texture scheme, like make upside crosses in the walls, with blood leaking out of them and whatnot, but alas, they did not.

DooMBoy said:

If they were really going for an E3 feel, they should of made everything 'organic', like make the floors fleshy, the walls fleshy, and the ceilings fleshy. Then they could have done something twisted with this texture scheme, like make upside crosses in the walls, with blood leaking out of them and whatnot, but alas, they did not.

I wouldn't have appreciated an "organic only" episode.
Nah, I'd rather have wanted it to seem like some organic areas and some weird, messed up areas that don't really remind you of a space station at all, but maybe areas that look slightly like a castle (only made out of blood red marble and perhaps some green marble too)

The problem with Doom's E3 is that they threw in human space station textures - if they had stayed far away from that it might have ended up being much more hellish.

dsm said:

I wouldn't have appreciated an "organic only" episode.
Nah, I'd rather have wanted it to seem like some organic areas and some weird, messed up areas that don't really remind you of a space station at all, but maybe areas that look slightly like a castle (only made out of blood red marble and perhaps some green marble too)

The problem with Doom's E3 is that they threw in human space station textures - if they had stayed far away from that it might have ended up being much more hellish.

Well I didn't mean totally organic, just some of the later levels, or some of the areas in the later levels. I agree that there was all kinds of potential to make the E3 levels look hellish, but that potential was lost. I also think that the red/green marble look would of fit Hell better than the E1 textures that were used extensively (tekwall4, brown1). Of course, the run for that is that supposedly the demons stole our technology and have used it for their own nefarious purposes (Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind, anyone?), but still...

I agree with dsm about e3m1, actually i think they did a good job making it hellish, rememberhow scary it was the first time you saw it.

holy shit, somebody bumped a forum we created, and not the other way around! we downloaded the lutz levels. great job. we hope id does better the second go around.

Goddammit Monochrome, stop that "we" shit or I will do something drastic (like being mean to you, mwahahahah!) - I get sick from reading it.