Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
we're closed

Old Storage One (A limit-removing Doom II map)

Today, folks, I present to you one of my most experimental pieces so far. As you may have noticed, STAR textures, METAL1, SPACEW, TEKGREN and BRONZE are nowhere near my mapping vocabulary. So, I decided to make a gimmicky techbase. Progression is a bit obscure is this one, and you have to earn everything you get. It is not as dark and atmospheric as my other maps, that's for sure.

Edited by we're closed

Pretty standard fare, but I encountered one bug in GZdoom 4.5.0: nine monsters didn't telport into playable areas. They weren't active when I noclipped there, but they teleported around SSG when they saw me.

46 minutes ago, Caleb13 said:

Pretty standard fare, but I encountered one bug in GZdoom 4.5.0: nine monsters didn't telport into playable areas. They weren't active when I noclipped there, but they teleported around SSG when they saw me.

sorry, apparently i forgot to save

A fun the way ID did inspired Tech-base map. Played on UV and tested in GZDoom 4.5.0.

Gameplay

Fast and very much to the point, with the expectedly medium difficulty throughout. The traps certainly are fun, such as the chain-gunner teleport trap and the revenant closet trap. There's not much else I can say on this, to be honest, except from the maps of yours that I've tested that you seem to know what makes combat enjoyable.

Layout

Very much a way the ID did in the classic, simplistic and ultimately straightforward and very difficult to get lost in. Very similar to an opening map in a 90's wad.

Texturing and detailing

The texturing is about what I've come to expect from your maps( in other words, sublime) and the detailing is kept to a minimum, not being interested in visuals, but rather focusing on gameplay.

Bugs

I didn't see any bugs.

Conclusion

I've been thinking on how I can put my opinion in a way that doesn't insult you or make you think I'm being an ass, so I came up with this: I enjoyed this map, but I believe you're very much capable of tackling bigger projects.  Using custom textures and making mapsets is an example. You clearly have a gift for mapping and I'm sure many people who have played your maps would agree with me. I don't want to force your hand, I just want to give you my honest opinion. I just believe that you have tremendous skill, and have the ability( not the need) to tackle bigger projects.  I thoroughly enjoy playing your maps, though. 

15 hours ago, Silhou3tte said:

A fun the way ID did inspired Tech-base map. Played on UV and tested in GZDoom 4.5.0.

Thanks for the review! I've actually scrapped a few mapset ideas and it would be fun making one, but I don't think many people would play it, and that's mostly what's stopping me from making a mapset. I don't think I'll be making a mapset any time soon.

As for textures, this was actually my first map where I used 100% stock textures, in my previous maps, I used a couple of modified, re-used and custom textures (still very vanilla-looking tho).

2 hours ago, elio.exe said:

Thanks for the review! I've actually scrapped a few mapset ideas and it would be fun making one, but I don't think many people would play it, and that's mostly what's stopping me from making a mapset. I don't think I'll be making a mapset any time soon.

As for textures, this was actually my first map where I used 100% stock textures, in my previous maps, I used a couple of modified, re-used and custom textures (still very vanilla-looking tho).

I forgot about those in that TNT inspired map. All that I mentioned was just a suggestion, on my part. I didn’t want to suggest a full megawad, since that would take a lot more time than a mapset or single release, so mapset is probably the best compromise in terms of time spent.

Don’t be afraid to experiment, that’s one of the core principles of mapping, after all. I’d love to see what these ideas are, and regarding not many people wanting to play those experimental maps, you’ve carved out a name for yourself and I see a lot of people being drawn to your maps. If you want to make your maps more experimetal, I say go for it. Do what you want to do( in the confines of the law)

Edit: sorry for the long post and 

Edited by Silhou3tte

Hell yeah, Elio my boy! This is what I like to see. I really like this new experimental approach to your progression, dude, this map was great fun and kept me guessing on what would happen next. Terrific little design and details as usual, texture work in on point and your combat also got a little more spicy which was good to see as well. Delicious stuff, fam. :^)

Edited by Biodegradable

Played on GZDooM and HMP.

Very enjoyable and good-looking map with elio.exe'esque detailing. Ammo scarcity was very real on this one but it was done well and made the experience more fun. I didn't take the invulnerability on my first play through which made the yellow keycard fight pretty hard but manageable. Speaking of that trap, it's possible to close yourself behind the bars two times if the other linedef surrounding the keycard didn't get triggered before the bars opened:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210313_124342_compressed.jpg.299484deddd58f044b96ab0f0ee737ca.jpg

Also I'm getting this notification at startup:

Line 1947 has no first side.

Old Storage One

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || Vanilla

Deaths → 1 (Killed by a Revenant)

Saves → 0

Screenshot-Doom-20210313-142129.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210313-142914.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210313-143143.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210313-143316.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210313-161535.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210313-161540.png

A very entertaining map, with a basic structure, but that works great well with the kind of details used in each site, the fighting here is also very good, at no time does anything feel unfair, everything here is perfect, I really had a great time well exploring this map, and I must say it really works for me. In general, this Wad was quite good, because of how simple but direct it is, and because of the certainly hard fighting that it has but that is also fair, therefore, a great job that you have done here mate, and I hope to continue seeing maps the same entertaining like this.

I enjoyed your map, it feels bigger than it is. The part with the revenants and the card is  great. I didn't take the sphere and with luck and cover I barely survived.   

I somehow managed to get in the courtyard with the red switch. Maybe that window shouldn't be passable.