Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SadVlad

How are you playing DOOM?

How is everyone currently playing DOOM? I've played on DOS, SNES, GBA, and nearly every remake and platform imaginable but recently I've been playing DOOM 2 on mobile using the current patch of Delta Touch. Might give DOOM 3 a go after doing a run through Final DOOM again.

Obviously the superior way, Doomsday 3d models with HD 2K Textures

With my paws hands while sitting on a chair that hurts after extended periods of time.

On a serious note, PC since I have not owned a console in centuries (and only ever had NES clones), in GZDoom/PrBoom/Crispy, with a mouse & kb, 1080p resolution, no texture filtering or other mods loaded, apart from a custom plasma sfx I load in vanilla and Brightmaps Plus.

As vanilla as possible but with the help of GZDOOM for hardware acceleration. Everything is down to the bare minimums (2D models, no texture addons, no filtering at all, etc). 2560x1440 144hz GSYNC. I use mouse and keyboard, no jump, no mlook.

On a PC and using various source ports such as GZDoom, DSDA-Doom, Eternity Engine, Crispy Doom etc. with WASD+mouse config.

I do all my DooMing on GZDoom via Delta Touch.

I use tuchscreen controls, Truecolor Software mode, 240x150 resolution, DooM (strict) compat mode, no mouselook, jump enabled (not for advantage, it's just to hear the cute jumping sounds of my custom class lol).
Also I mostly play vanilla wads, since complex stuff will lag as hell (but I don't like that stuff too much anyways).

GZDoom, i'm a new age gamer, so using the old control layout is so alien, i imagine it would be hard to get used to it, and not using hardware acceleration just looks off.

Chocolate Doom for vanilla IWAD experience

PrBoom+ for custom boom compatible wads

GZDoom for Sigil and mods

Zandronum for DM and CO-OP

Doomsday with 3D models when I get bored

I like my Doom Crispy, and I like my Boom... lemme google quick... Proff? Wat does dat mean, wiki? Is it short for 'Professional', or what? Why not call it ProBoom then? Whatever.

I also occasionally like my Eternity Engine'd, my vanilla with Chocolate and my Retro sufficiently Doom-y.

Occasionally I'll even try some Doom with Z on the side, but only if its on special (read: new mods). I'll only add GL to my Boom if I'm having a full Sunder roast, and I'll only add G to my ZDoom if it'll burn otherwise (read: GZDoom software renderer has its limits).

I haven't tried out this new-fangled DSDA topping, nor have I sampled the UMAPINFO variant of PrBoom. Also, I'll never touch 3DGE, since low-poly models give my indigestion...

Okay, okay I'll stop with the tortured metaphor already.

Upside down, with my toes...

Keyboard+Mouse, either through the new Steam ports or GZDoom.

E: Zandronum and ZDaemon aswell using Doom Explorer, makes it a million times easier to manage mod configs and Multiplayer.

Edited by sluggard

PrBoom+ on PC (with the keyboard) or on the Vita. I wish the PC build of PrBoom+ had better controller support, so I could use it here as well. Hate playing Doom with kb+m.

On PC, my go-to source port lately has been PrBoom+ but I’ll dabble into Eternity should the WAD I’m playing benefit from that. Ancient Aliens, for example. I’ve got GZDoom ready to go, should the need arise.

That said, I’m really digging the Unity port. It’s not perfect, PrBoom+ and Eternity sure look a lot cleaner, but I’m honestly just happy to see an official source port with community involvement.

And boy oh boy, do I love playing that Switch port during breaks at work or in bed. I’m looking forward to the day I can safely go get a cup of coffee and enjoy that there.

28 minutes ago, DU0 said:

PrBoom+ on PC (with the keyboard) or on the Vita. I wish the PC build of PrBoom+ had better controller support, so I could use it here as well. Hate playing Doom with kb+m.

Have you checked out dsda-doom as an alternative to prb+? Kraflab recently rewrote the input mapping code for it which should make controller support a lot better.

Mind control on my PC. Controllers, mice and keyboard are for plebs.

11 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Mind control on my PC. Controllers, mice and keyboard are for plebs.

you use mind control? heh, what an amateur. i use the power of cosmic rays to change individual bits of the computer's code in order to play it

Just now, roadworx said:

you use mind control? heh, what an amateur. i use the power of cosmic rays to change individual bits of the game's code in order to play it

Yeah? Well I would too but... my cosmic ray thingy is in the shop.

I have DOOM on virtually everything I own. I don't really have a preference but I like to be able to play it virtually anytime and anywhere so it's nice to have on mobile. I'm running it with zandronum 3.0 and liking it pretty well.

8 minutes ago, Eric Claus said:

Primarily Crispy, Woof, and DSDADoom

how is woof, anyways? i've barely heard anything about it but it looks interesting

4 minutes ago, roadworx said:

how is woof, anyways? i've barely heard anything about it but it looks interesting

It got wide screen rendering ported over from Crispy and has become my goto for Boom/MBF maps like Crispy is for Vanilla and just feels good for me.  I sort of call it a "Crispy Boom" now because of this but in a good way.  I have found maybe 1 map hiccup but the compat between PRBoom and Woof seems pretty on par these days.  I would give it a whirl if you feel like playing some Boom or MBF compat maps.

Edit: As a point of clarity it is based on WinMBF and MBF codebase more directly but updated for better compat, QoL, and some other nice features added for anyone unaware.

10 hours ago, BoxY said:

Have you checked out dsda-doom as an alternative to prb+? Kraflab recently rewrote the input mapping code for it which should make controller support a lot better.

Didn't know about this port. Thank you very much!

Edit: sadly, it works the same as OG Doom and earlier iterations of PrBoom+. :(

Edited by DU0

18 minutes ago, Eric Claus said:

It got wide screen rendering ported over from Crispy and has become my goto for Boom/MBF maps like Crispy is for Vanilla and just feels good for me.  I sort of call it a "Crispy Boom" now because of this but in a good way.  I have found maybe 1 map hiccup but the compat between PRBoom and Woof seems pretty on par these days.  I would give it a whirl if you feel like playing some Boom or MBF compat maps.

Edit: As a point of clarity it is based on WinMBF and MBF codebase more directly but updated for better compat, QoL, and some other nice features added for anyone unaware.

alright, i'll check it out then. i've been meaning to get away from gzdoom for some time now, but i wasn't a huge fan of prb+. hopefully this'll be better for me?