Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Earthless: Prelude - On Doom Classic Unity port and /idgames.

1 hour ago, i suck at nicknames said:

Okay so is this link the sample, or is it the full 32-map megawad? 

We were unheard.

1 hour ago, dmslr said:

We were unheard.

It took less than a minute of searching to learn it’s essentially the same release as last time. If it mattered so much to you then you could’ve figured it out on your own lol.

EDIT: Heck, it’s even titled Earthless: Prelude both in the thread title and the image Jimmy posted. It’s clearly not the full thirty-two maps.

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

This mapset is as of today officially sanctioned by Bethesda, joining Deathless as part of the official Bethesda Unity port's downloadable Add-ons.

Great news Jimmy! I've been wanting something new to play on my Switch so this is pretty neat.

@Jimmy, is this from the probable future soundtrack you referenced in your interview? Or is this just a fan work inspired by your wad?

I just started playing through Earthless Prelude on my Switch it's really fun! However I'd like to report a HOM error in MAP01 with the secret lift near the berserk.

etrn29.png.01fad363288ac96d3b57f149ba4e8e3d.png

Just something I noticed

Hey there Jimmy, I created this account because of this thread! What an exciting first post :)

I love your work! I first heard about you after playing Sigil in the spring. Hate Machine is wonderful and that stuck with me long after the first map had finished. Quell the Beast is also especially memorable. I remember the other tracks fitting into the game wonderfully. Sigil is so spooky and I think your music did just as much to create that vibe as the John's lighting and texturing did!

Last month, I played Deathless on the unity port and I was hooked on it, probably completed it all in a week. I especially loved the first two episodes, I think I burned through each of those in one sitting. Really great maps and gameplay. E1M8 was such a great update to the original idea for experienced players. My kids enjoyed that map especially, too.

I was playing No End In Sight this week, but when I saw that Earthless was added to the unity port, I slammed the brakes, switched over to Doom 2, downloaded it and am now 4 levels in on UV. Everything has been great so far, and very inspiring. Like you, I am also a musician and I've recently gotten into mapping over the past year. I am literally taking notes as I am playing. Your style reminds me of the Casali brothers, in how perfectly FUNCTIONAL everything is. You seem to have a good reason to have each switch/lift/window/texture/monster/item/key/area/map/megawad figured out.

Thanks so much for your work! I'm a big fan. :)

17 hours ago, Wavy said:

I just started playing through Earthless Prelude on my Switch it's really fun! However I'd like to report a HOM error in MAP01 with the secret lift near the berserk.

etrn29.png.01fad363288ac96d3b57f149ba4e8e3d.png

Just something I noticed

I litteraly went on DW to say this but guess you got to it first lmao

Also these maps are really damn good because even when I'm not looking for secrets I just go "hey I wanna jump to that" and then i do and BAM reward. That takes mad skill to get right.

On 7/22/2021 at 1:15 PM, Jimmy said:

This mapset is as of today officially sanctioned by Bethesda, joining Deathless as part of the official Bethesda Unity port's downloadable Add-ons.

Grab it for the Doom Classic Unity port today!

unknown.png

wow thats crazy i though they werent going to add any other addons to it good work dude

now if we can only get rowdy rudy 2 in there

A funny thing is, when I flipped a switch in it, everything got all funky and playing set noises per letter, then it crashed (Unity port)

I don't know if anyone has reported this before, but you can beat map 12 by literally turning back and interacting with the gate that serves as the entrance to the level. Looks like Jimmy copypasted it from a previous level but forgot to remove the corresponding exit linedef. Whooops!

5 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

wow thats crazy i though they werent going to add any other addons to it good work dude

What made you think that?

34 minutes ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

It's Bethesda.

Don’t want to be the ackshually guy, but it’s not really Bethesda.

7 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

What made you think that?

well it has been some time since we got the last one

Had a really good time with this. Very much a classic '90s style wad in terms of its gameplay but with a very modern level of polish and attention to detail. Everything looks great, the texturing and alignment are always impeccable, and while the combat is on the tame side, the fight setups are interesting enough to keep a more experienced player from checking out. My favorite map was definitely "The Judas Tree", which feels almost like a sequel to "Kingdom of Roots" from Faithless Trilogy, with its green rock, nukage, and the ominous dead, hollowed-out tree dominating the center of the map.

On 7/24/2021 at 6:55 AM, omalefico32x said:

I wish! I wouldn't expect it, though, since there is a huge number of people who worked on it, and although I'm not entirely sure, I don't know if there are any trademarked textures or sprites used in the wad. 

Anyway, I do want to say that this WAD was an awesome experience! I would rate it 8.5/10. It was very fun to play through, and The Judas Tree was one of the greatest levels I've ever played/seen played. Great job Jimmy and Fuzzball! I can't wait for the full release! :D

These were fun to play, although overall dificulty is quite low, mainly because there are mountains of ammo in most maps. I actually died in MAP05 (revs blocked me and I ate cyberdemon's rockets), but I don't think my health dropped below 40% in others. Conversely, MAP12 has too little ammo near start and I killed the mastermind with big help of monster infighting. Also, I noticed some other things while I played on UV in GZdoom 4.5.0:

MAP01: HOM in the small lift near berserk (linedef 1252).

MAP02: isn't shotgun near start supposed to be secret?

MAP04: isn't SSG in the southwest area supposed to be secret?

MAP07: you can survive the death exit if you save the invulnerability sphere for the end. Is that intentional?

MAP08: not technically a bug, but you can't revisit the right-hand area (sector 234 etc.) after you defeat the cyberdemon. There are some nice goodies there.

On 7/24/2021 at 9:43 PM, omalefico32x said:

well it has been some time since we got the last one

april 21 since Syringe was officialized... thats not a very long ago :/

Add-ons were usually added on a regular schedule of one after three weeks at first.

But since the good non using other author and other game content mapsets are scarce, thats the reason they are not that frequent lately.

And a new mapset means new contracts. If the mapset has one author per map, that are a ton of new contracts.
Add the contract for the textures used, and the music... you get what i'm saying.

A lot of paper work that, if can be avoided, the better.

You can now grab this set on /idgames.

Download "Earthless: Prelude":

/idgames Mirror

This same release is also available to download from Dropbox and Powerhouse in case you prefer:

Dropbox Mirror

Powerhouse Mirror

Yes I even fixed that missing texture in MAP01. Cuz I'm nice like that.

Probably still some improvements to be made, but these will be addressed when the full version of the megawad drops.

53 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Probably still some improvements to be made, but these will be addressed when the full version of the megawad drops.

How far along are you with that by the way? I'm really excited for the full version of this!