Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iUsuallyDie

Waterworks - my newest map [GZDoom]

And I promise this one isn't full of crates...

DOWNLOAD: https://www.mediafire.com/file/40g28pzb1wjf88k/water.zip/file

Tested in GZDoom - trying to run it in Boom causes a crash due to the custom waterfall texture. If anyone can advise on how to rectify that, I'd appreciate it! :)

Singleplayer, meant to fit in anywhere in the MAP01-07 bracket. Difficulty levels are in place, as are secrets.

The Dehacked file just changes the map title on the automap screen. It's completely optional.

Screenshot_Doom_20210305_011829.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210305_011844.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210315_233101.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210315_233112.png

Edited by iUsuallyDie

Waterworks

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || Vanilla

Deaths → 0

Saves → none

Screenshot-Doom-20210315-211726.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210315-211906.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210315-212005.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210315-212217.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210315-212508.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210315-212735.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210315-213143.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210315-213200.png

A really fun and very entertaining map, the structure and architecture used here are very good, nothing out of the ordinary, I really liked how there is a large free area in the center of the 3 buildings, although if I compare it with the Inside each site, only one could stand out, and that would be the area with the yellow key as for the fights, they were really entertaining, the fights here turned out to be good, almost most of the battles I ended up winning with the help of the berserk, and in few occasions I had to spend my bullets, but anyway it was good for me. Great job you've done on this map, and I look forward to seeing more maps as entertaining as this one, mate.

Edited by ElPadrecitoCholo

1 minute ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

Waterworks

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || Vanilla

Deaths → 0

Saves → none

Screenshot-Doom-20210315-211726.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210315-211906.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210315-212005.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210315-212217.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210315-212508.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210315-212735.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210315-213143.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210315-213200.png

A really fun and very entertaining map, the structure and architecture used here are very good, nothing out of the ordinary, I really liked how there is a large free area in the center of the 3 buildings, although if I compare it with the Inside each site, only one could stand out, and that would be the area with the yellow key. As for the fights, they were really entertaining, the fights here turned out to be good, almost most of the battles I ended up winning with the help of the berserk, and in few occasions I had to spend my bullets, but anyway it was good for me. Great job you've done on this map, and I look forward to seeing more maps as entertaining as this one, mate.

Thank you for the feedback!

Out of interest, which two secrets did you get? In case I've made the third one too subtle...

Hace 12 minutos, iUsuallyDie dijo:

¡Gracias por los comentarios!

De nada, socio.

Hace 12 minutos, iUsuallyDie dijo:

Por interés, ¿qué dos secretos obtuviste? En caso de que haya hecho el tercero demasiado sutil ...

Spoiler

Bueno, era de Soulsphere, y era el del chaleco verde, el último que no pude encontrar.

Just now, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

You are welcome, partner.

Well, it was from the Soulsphere, and it was the one in the green vest, the last one I couldn't find.

Spoiler

In the room with the yellow key, there's a second switch that temporarily lowers one of the pillars in the spawn room. You have to quickly return to the spawn room and grab the backpack on the pillar (and walk over it to get the secret credit) before it rises again.

2 minutes ago, iUsuallyDie said:
  Revelar contenidos ocultos

En la habitación con la tecla amarilla, hay un segundo interruptor que baja temporalmente uno de los pilares en la sala de generación. Tienes que regresar rápidamente a la sala de generación y agarrar la mochila en el pilar (y caminar sobre ella para obtener el crédito secreto) antes de que se eleve nuevamente.

Understood partner, thanks for the tip.

@iUsuallyDie A nice cleanly designed tech WAD. I loved it! Great work! PS I know the frame rate is crap. its not usually like this idk what happened when I recorded.

Edited by Dubbag

Not as pretty as your last map, but still good mate. Some rooms felt a bit too big and barebones given the relatively small monster count and not much else to do in or look at, but the combat and progression are solid enough. Not too shabby.

I was about to test this but for some reason 7zip is coming up with a "header error" so I can't open the .WAD file...

EDIT:

Thankfully GZDooM can load .zip files. So this map is kinda basic in terms of design but I like it. The structures and details kinda reminds me of early doom maps. The difficulty here is definitely easy (even on HMP) but is definitely worth a playthrough. :)

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn

AND ANOTHER UPDATE:

I noticed that both Clippy and Biodegradable seemed put out by the switch in the blue key room that lowers the mini-lifts, so I got rid of it, and made the lifts accessible by using them instead.

Completed in 6:45

I give it a 5/10 - Average

It's a very simplistic map, i like the simple aesthetic, some of the areas are cool, but others feel a bit bland with very few enemies to take care of, like when you open the yellow key doors to flip the switch and encounter two imps and one human for example, the parts when the room is filled with various enemies and were projectiles are flying are the most fun parts.

Also some of the areas are very extensive and just straight odd, like the stairs when going to the red door or the pillar with the mancubus on top, he can't hit me because he's to high.

I recommend doing various tweaks to make the enemy encounters more interesting and fast paced, don't be afraid of adding monsters, the bestiary is extensive, just make sure to playtest everytime you make a drastic change on your future maps and updates!

Cheers!

i like this map, its nice, short and fun! some secrets are pretty weird, but i dont mind them. Also, i made this compatible with boom by simply converting the waterfall texture into a bmp.

I give it a 6/10
It's nice, but a little odd.