Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
1Destro3456

What is your favorite map, that you made

Your magnum opus, let's say. What do you consider that is the best work that you have done? Be that a megawad, a single map, a contribution that you made for a project. Just anything, really but you must've done it yourself. 

Doom II: 25 Years on Earth (One Year Late Edition) is obviously my most recognised work after my Cacowards runners-up mention last  year, but my best individual map is probably either in DBP19 (MAP10: Winter Wonderland) or 23 (MAP12: Abdicate the Throne). All relatively recent work, which is encouraging.

This still my favourite map. In terms of the atmosphere and exploration it's definetely the best one by me.  

I made one called Northern Powerhouse which I'm insanely happy with, but...

I put it in a DMP but a teleport sector got disconnected somehow so it isn't maxable
and then I released it solo but with a self-sabotaging joke encounter with hundreds of zombiemen

I love the feel of the map and I'm happy with its strictness and some day I should reapproach the gameplay so it doesn't mock anyone attempting to play it lol

npowh.png.ebe5c996bbfbc9136553e11550c46676.png

it just kinda looks like this from every angle
weird texture usage and stacks of stuff, all stock textures but with a slightly different palette

and I redid a MIDI tune from XCOM which really suits it

alas it is just another zzzv map which disdains gameplay as a necessary evil

Moonblood Gateway (map 20 from Moonblood):

It's a soul crushing level, where space is always limited and the enemies put a pressure on the player. Also, it can be played in so many different ways due to the open layout, although it's restricted enough to avoid free movement, so the experience varies a lot depending on which routes and/or shortcut you take.

qhs2PFJ.png

Exomoon's King Atrium:

It's a map different from everything that I created before. It's more linear, very moody and the environment is big. It reminds me of Hall of Giants from Unreal Tournament. The setpieces are also very fun to deal with.

NnYZpPC.png

My Man on the moon map (and its prequel: travelling to the moon). This is what I consider my finest work to date. It also got a runner's up on the 2018 cacowards and that made me really happy. 

Though, with new eyes, there are ton of changes I would bring to it to make it flow better, etc...Still, I'm really proud of myself here

Torn between Astro Airships and Cheerful Cliffs on Super Golden Souls for best map I made. Astro Airships was my magnum opus map, I really used a lot of ZDoom stuff to bring it to life, from portals to 3D floors.

Cheerful Cliffs gets a big mention for one reason, it was based on my first ever custom map! To watch it grow into how I made the map today is such a beautiful feeling!

Jazz Jackrabbit Doom is really feeling like it's doing the Jazz universe justice. BassSlapper89 is doing a tremendous job on the new version, I'm enjoying really bringing the world to life further from animating the textures like how the tiles and sprites were animated in the original.

Screenshot_Doom_20200907_093652.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200907_094306.png

At first I thought that this would be a hard question to answer. But after some thinking and looking for a screenshot or two.

I guess I would have to say Vilecore 1.2 since it's the thing I worked on for ages and is most likely to get finished... It's history is kinda complicated. In 2001 I started to work on a Vilecore upgrade, which turned into Vilecore 2 because of how expanded the maps were and how much stuff I added on there. In 2017 I decided to upgrade Vilecore again but this time with restraints and the 1.2 Remaster was born. In 2019 Vilecore 2 got itself turned into a UDMF project that is now 98% all new maps. That project needs a lot of work and is now on the back burner while I get 1.2 done. Lets just say that V1.2 has some work in it that was a part of Vilecore 2, which makes sense at least to myself. haha. Explaining it can be complicated. If this remaster is the last thing I finish, I'll be happy.

tjRxZ7o.jpg

I have a few maps that I love but I have only released one, so I am just gonna share that one for now which is pretty special. 
m5mqmTL.png

2TYZl9P.png

umbS2Mu.png

GndTCm0.png

Honestly, It'd have to be this one. I've only published three maps so far, but I've been the happiest with this one. It may seem unremarkable to some, but I think I really made something special, that means something to me. You could call it sentimental value, but I published this quite recently. Anyway, if you feel so compelled to play it, use the second download link. I screwed up in the most embarrassing way possible: a simple linedef flip, and had to make a quick fix.

I had fun talking about some of my personal favorite works before over on a Twitter thread, so I'll just link that here:

Otherwise, I could just say all three playable maps of Oceanside were all wonderful to make, and of course I've made more maps over time and it's only made it harder to narrow down a list.

I have a soft spot for E2M7 of my megawad DOOM: Damnation

My best? Far from it, but I love its atmosphere, even after play-testing it a million times, and I love how the legions of hell unleash right in the finale, pushing you back into the map.

I don't have much released Doom stuff, but I some nice ideas in my gray boxes.

I rather enjoy my keen level pack though. I think the ice bridge would be my favorite, but I do like the circular design of the underworld shrine.

Dementia is probably my all time favorite level that I did; I like it enough that I started making an episode inspired by that one level's theme.    Everything else is okay, but doesn't hold the same draw that Dementia does for me (what can I say, I'm a sucker for GSTONE and Orange skies).