Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antiq445

what doom source port is your favourite?

Here you can submit the source ports of doom and what your favourtie one is!

It's hard to decide. PrBoom-Plus is what I use the most, and Eternity falls barely short of what would be needed for it to become my main source port. And there are also plenty of things I like about Crispy Doom, GZDoom, and Doomsday.

I love Crispy Doom when I can use it, I feel it's the best marriage of OG Doom compatibility with QoL stuff like freelook, walking over/under monsters (thank Jebus), and of course removing static limits as well as nice floof like colored blood and brightmaps (even if they're hard-coded as far as I'm aware.)  It just looks and plays exactly how I want it to.

If I can't get away with Crispy then I usually use PrBoom+ for Boom-compatible maps, and GZDoom for anything fancier.  If I'm playing the IWADs then I'll play those in Choco Doom, or on my old Win98 PC if I have access to it.

19 minutes ago, StupidBunny said:

I love Crispy Doom when I can use it, I feel it's the best marriage of OG Doom compatibility with QoL stuff like freelook, walking over/under monsters [...]

You have a kind of odd definition of what counts as compatibility :p

58 minutes ago, BoxY said:

You have a kind of odd definition of what counts as compatibility :p

lol yeah I guess compatibility wasn’t the word I was searching for...I guess the opposite if anything, I meant that I like how Crispy holds to the strictures of vanilla Doom’s physics and behaviors and idiosyncrasies while allowing certain gameplay comforts as I mentioned above. It’s a cool design principle well-implemented.

The one that suits my needs best ofc.

GZDoom/DSDA Doom/Crispy.

Chocolate-doom and Prboom-plus, Lzdoom when I want to play with my xbox controller

Posted (edited)

Not this thing again (also Eternity Engine and GZDoom are the best)

Edited by DoomedPerson

12 hours ago, antiq445 said:

Here you can submit the source ports of doom and what your favourtie one is!

Thank you so much for the kind invitation. Now we can do something that we have dreamed about for so long but have been unable to accomplish.

Eternity. It's the doomiest-feeling of the advanced ports. Or the most advanced of the doomy-feeling ports? Strikes a great balance between adding modern niceties while maintaining the particulars of Doom's gameplay, and has a killer set of mapping features too. It's been my main port for around 15 years now.

PrBoom+. Its performance is amazing, its alternative HUD is nice to look at, and I personally find the setting menus very comfy to navigate.

I use GZDoom as default, but Eternity Engine in good when I want to record demos as well as as test my maps. IMO it's better than PrBoom+ mainly due to how it feels "sticky" in comparison to Eternity.

A tie between Odamex, Zandronum, ZDaemon, Chocolate Doom and Vanilla itself for me personally. I also like PrBoom+, Crispy, and as of recently Eternity Engine, but I use them far less often. There are also other source ports I’ve used over the years that I liked which are pretty much retired by now, but I still remember them fondly.

I've defaulted DSDA-Doom for a while now, though I do enjoy almost any port. Other mains are Eternity, Crispy, ZDoom 2.8.1 and GZDoom. I favor the software rendered look in Doom, so I tend use GZDoom only for the maps / mods that absolutely need it.

Posted (edited)

GZDoom. It has been said before, "it just works" and supports hardware acceleration for real smooth gameplay.

I love prboom-plus to death, but I have to go with GZDoom. DECORATE and ACS are both such fun things to mess around with, and even if I don't know much of Zscript I'm always impressed by what people manage to do with it.

It's GZDoom for me and has been for a long time now.

I only clued in to K8 Vavoom being a thing the other day while searching the forums. Only played part of a map in it, but the port is well worth checking out.