Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ofisil

THEME-GAWAD PROJECT #1

Going to try something new and record my building process for this one! Here's an hour of a factory map so far.

@Ofisil, it occurred to me in the middle of doing this that the MAP07 specials will apply in this map - should I make use of them (maybe a one-off encounter with an arachnotron or mancubus, despite them being out of the difficulty level for this slot?) or avoid them?

Edited by DavidN

9 minutes ago, DavidN said:

It occurred to me in the middle of doing this that the MAP07 specials will apply in this map - should I make use of them (maybe a one-off encounter with an arachnotron or mancubus, despite them being out of the difficulty level for this slot?) or avoid them?

No, stick to the "Chapters" and what can be included.

6 minutes ago, DavidN said:

👍

BTW, since this is a WIP, I would recommend decorating the place with some METAL2-to-METAL7 here and there, and some good ol' SHAWN2, to add some constrast, and make the place more... factory-y :)

When I saw that "crate maze" was a map theme, I just thought about how disliked that map concept is, so obviously I had to pick it. I'm happy with what I managed to make so please anyone willing to test it, go ahead

Btw @DavidN I've been watching your videos and I wouldn't have made this map if wasn't for them

Map06: Storage

Monsters: 150

Secrets: 3

Map size: 3300x3600

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Tested in GZdoom with hardware rendering

(link removed, updated version posted below)

Edit: almost forgot some pics:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210318_210910.png.42c969bfa00dd6f7889ff22bbb2c74ef.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210318_221652.png.522814fd655fc9fa1cd7a5ede41a83b0.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210318_222201.png.66df734c337bda4c1734c191d53096e7.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210318_222315.png.8a468a8416a8262be0911556a12354fc.png

Themegawad_CP_Storage_7Soul_v2.rar

Edited by 7Soul

9 minutes ago, 7Soul said:

Map06: Storage

Monsters: 150

Secrets: 3

Map size: 3300x3600

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Tested in GZdoom with hardware rendering

Themegawad_CP_Storage_7Soul.rar

Edit: almost forgot some pics:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20210318_210910.png.42c969bfa00dd6f7889ff22bbb2c74ef.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210318_221652.png.522814fd655fc9fa1cd7a5ede41a83b0.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210318_222201.png.66df734c337bda4c1734c191d53096e7.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210318_222315.png.8a468a8416a8262be0911556a12354fc.png

Looks great... but you have to make some heavy changes according to the rules.

#1 3072 * 3072 Grid or smaller

#2 Doom II standard Wad format, not Boom (and none of the tricks that can be done with Boom

#3 No L.Souls on the chapter the map belongs to.

Plz work on your wad some more to apply these things, annoying as that might be, because I like what I see so far.

P.S. small reccomendation (not a rule), lower the enemy count a bit, as this belongs in the easier set of maps. No a must, of course, just a thought.

39 minutes ago, Ofisil said:

Looks great... but you have to make some heavy changes according to the rules.

#1 3072 * 3072 Grid or smaller

#2 Doom II standard Wad format, not Boom (and none of the tricks that can be done with Boom

#3 No L.Souls on the chapter the map belongs to.

Plz work on your wad some more to apply these things, annoying as that might be, because I like what I see so far.

P.S. small reccomendation (not a rule), lower the enemy count a bit, as this belongs in the easier set of maps. No a must, of course, just a thought.

#1 So how strict is this map size? For example, my map has a big empty area in one corner, if I were to pick the last bit of my map and move it there, and ignoring the areas that are only for scenery, the effective area is pretty much 3000x3000. Or does it have to be the exact square?

#2 I think I changed by accident in the end (no idea how) but the map was done entirely in Doom2 format

#3 Slipped past me. Btw I used one single Revenant at the end, would that be ok?

I toned it down for the appropriate difficulty levels (easy has half the monsters, and replaces some Hell Knights with Imps), and I feel like the 6th map should already give players a nice challenge, specially if the pick UV. After some tests get through I'll be able to figure this out better, so let's wait some time

PS: I updated the link in my last post

Edited by 7Soul : Typo

@7Soul Chapter 2 maps can have tier 1 enemies (humans, imps, demons) and Cacos, Knights, Spectres - that's it. Use a couple of those big guys to raise the difficulty a bit, but no Revenants.

As for the size 3072 * 3072 is the top limit - you can make it smaller if you want, not larger.

EDIT: Just checked you map, and it's awesome man! You won't even have to do any extra detailing!

Just lower the size, remove the Revenant, and fix a couple of missing textures. When I test the final version I'll fix any remaining issues myself.

Edited by Ofisil

Having to choose what part of the map to sacrifice D:

Are missing textures in places the player can't go a problem? (ie in monster teleporter rooms)

Captura de tela 2021-03-19 042906.png

@7Soul The important ones are the ones that are missing when a floor/lift goes down. Next are those "holes" where enemies come up from, even if you don't have much time to see em. Leave the teleporter ones if you will. My OCD will fix those later anyway :)

1 hour ago, Friezus Christ said:

Can I take map 16? I like making tech bases. 

Subterranean/Rocky Tech-Base, one of my fav themes.

Welcome!

1 minute ago, Ofisil said:

Subterranean/Rocky Tech-Base, one of my fav themes.

Welcome!

Coolio! Was working a wicked sick map with that theme about 4 or so years back, computer decided to die and i lost about 9 months of work. Still recall what most of that map looked like,so i'll be doing a remake of it.

@Friezus Christ just to save you some - potential - extra work, take a look at the rules concering the size, wad format, enemy types, and so on.

When u have sth ready, even if it still needs some polishing, do send it over for me to check your work out.

Thanx!

Project seems promising, and it reminds me of modest mapping challenge. Anyway I’ll take map 26. Now I have a few questions to ask before I start planning out this map. 

First - First I’m allowed to use any weapon and monster (minus the icon) on map 26

Second - I’m a bit confused on the music comment. Can we use custom music of our own picking or is it being provided or is it default music? I’m lost on this... 

Third - Do you want the maps to be playable in co op or no? 

14 minutes ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

from the look of it, map12 isn't taken. if that's the case, could I take it? I like having all that space to work with.

Welcome!

City or not, do keep the grid limit in mind.

3 minutes ago, Ofisil said:

Welcome!

City or not, do keep the grid limit in mind.

yeye, one question:

Because I want this to be a CITY, if the playable area was the 3072 * 3072, but the outer ring had buildings you couldn't go in, would that be acceptable?
Cuz otherwise fitting the city ascetic in would be hella difficult.

@Black Shuck 97 good questions. I'll re-edit the initial post to make those a bit clearer.

To answer you, though:

#1 yes, MAP26 belongs in the final tier of levels, so you can use all weapons and enemies minus the Icon.

#2 Best case scenario, MIDIs will be offered by other composers besides me. Worst case scenario all by me - and by provided I mean composed, not just taken from someone else's MIDI collection. So, if you can make a MIDI you are welcome to do so.

#3 No need to bother with co-op / hopefully a more ambitious THEME-GAWAD #2 will take that into consideration :)

Edited by Ofisil

8 minutes ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

Because I want this to be a CITY, if the playable area was the 3072 * 3072, but the outer ring had buildings you couldn't go in, would that be acceptable?
Cuz otherwise fitting the city ascetic in would be hella difficult.

Well, I've mentioned that in my post, because I also believe that City levels should be an exception.

The Rules say: Decorative items beyond the 3072 grid are not allowed (possible exceptions the City themes, Map 12 & 18)

I won't change that, but I believe you should carry on with your thought. Build a 3072*3072 map, and place a couple of stuff outside that region to make the map more presentable.

16 minutes ago, Ofisil said:

Well, I've mentioned that in my post, because I also believe that City levels should be an exception.

The Rules say: Decorative items beyond the 3072 grid are not allowed (possible exceptions the City themes, Map 12 & 18)

I won't change that, but I believe you should carry on with your thought. Build a 3072*3072 map, and place a couple of stuff outside that region to make the map more presentable.

'ighty, thanks.

I think you should expand the map size limit, or better yet, get rid of it. It just seems so restrictive (not in the good way like with texture limits) and annoying, and the map I'm making for the 09 slot requires to be larger because I wouldn't be able to make a proper Prison map.

There are plenty of projects that actually force such small (and even smaller) size - and this is one of them

The idea behind it all is tp push us to be as creative with the limitations at hand.

Tip: don't try to make a "meaty" full-blown map. Act as if you are making a mini-map with a particular theme. @7Soul 's map is just a tad larger (it's being edited right now) and it is very, VERY good.

If you feel like it's annoyngly restricting you can always back down, of course, no probs from me.

My reccomendation would be to think of this as a mapping exercise.

If anything, it will give us all an idea of what to keep, and what to throw away in THEME-GAWAD #2 :)

1 minute ago, AtticTelephone said:

Aight, I'm going to leave the project. Hope you guys make a full community wad. I'll probably post my map somewhere else.

Okay man.

Tagging myself for the map.

Newcomer here interested in participating in the project. I've released one map so far and am not too far off from finishing my second. If that's an acceptable amount of experience, could I take map 19, the corrupted tech-base?

@Fiendish sure thing!

Since you say u r a newcomer, take a good look at the rules, and send over any questions.

Send over your WIP after some time to take a look at it.

Thanx.

Fixed the stuff you pointed out.

mapsquare.png.e4715a6c48304fa454a1f2060833f66a.png

I drew a temporary box around the map, there are no items or monsters beyond it, and the player can never set foot outside of it

Btw if you're running the DB analysis tool, it reports some false positives for missing textures and unused textures

Download: Themegawad_CP_Storage_7Soul_v4.rar

Edited by 7Soul

@7Soul Yeah I know all about missing/unused textures. When I mentioned the missing entries it was after I run the map and saw that "live."

1 hour ago, Ofisil said:

@7Soul Yeah I know all about missing/unused textures. When I mentioned the missing entries it was after I run the map and saw that "live."

That's why I know the analysis tool breaks things, because it removed a ton of my lift textures haha, but I only noticed a couple of them. I fixed it and updated the download link above