Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ofisil

THEME-GAWAD PROJECT #1

8 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Is there a deadline? I've been under weather recently and I will be doing Skulltiverse in April, so I might not finish right now, it as I hoped.

No deadline. I just need to know if anyone has "left" so I can update the mapper list on time.

I didn't feel like I had anythong post-worthy yet, but heres an early screenshot of my map:

Screenshot.png.0dff616ba3676718fa0945759effcb1c.png

I also tested a few of the maps.

Really cool ideas, i had a lot of fun playing them.

One thing i found playing 7Soul's map today though: you can grab the blue key through the wall.

Maybe not that big of a deal, but i thougt i'd point it out.

Yes, i played the newest version. With the correct angle u get it sometimes. I testet on pr-boom+ though.

@Titanoxus

Yeah, happens to me in Crispy (not ZDoom or GZDoom, though)

@7Soul want me to fix it myself? The rest of the wad seems just fine.

Also, name of the Map?

@Ofisil

Yes, I'm still alive!

9qccei.png

Biiiiig lake of blood. Maybe a river too at some point. I don't know. With a little wooden UAC outpost in the midst. Lotta blood, so I'm satisfying the theme hopefully. 

Admittedly, this is actually my first map ever! I hope I'm not breaking rule #5 knowing that, but I'll try my best. I think I've played enough Doom to get the gist of good level design.

I have this neat idea for a mechanic the level could have, I'm still tinkering with it.

This is a "newbie" friendly project, in the sense that your work will be tested by the team, and we'll then help you fix what needs fixing, and polish what needs polishing.

I'm still here. Went through several iterations that didn't click but feel I'm on the right track. Will post something when I feel it's ready.

@Ofisil Yes, still working on it! The layout is complete and it is now playable, but I still want to work more on some of the encounters and balancing health/ammo before I send it out for others to test. 

Here are some more screenshots:

Spoiler

scrn11.png.c94ca5c312fa340e85ddcb7377d3ae76.pngscrn12.png.070e15f75d5a297793d433ca7c6e6e4a.pngscrn14.png.14c9f29ddeec0317d8807751a9ac802f.pngscrn15.png.74f9f8541d7f492c301516c76dbdba7a.png

I did have one question. Although my teleporter monster closets fit in the 3072x3072 grid, you can hear the monsters in them at certain places in the map. For the final version, can we move teleporter closets further away to avoid hearing monsters in them, so long as they all still could fit in the grid with the rest of the map? 

@Fiendish That's a tricky one, indeed - but still, I want us all to stick to the limitations, although I understand your point. Tell you what, though: does hearing the enemies ruin the atmosphere, or enhance it? Maybe it's alright to hear a couple of nasties to raise the suspense? If you feel that there's NO way around the problem, send over the map to take a look at it myself.

@Ofisil

I'm still alive and currently finishing some smaller things I want to have released this week. Though as for my map I've started it but I'm still constructing a rough idea of how I want the map to play and look like.

1 minute ago, Black Shuck 97 said:

@Ofisil

I'm still alive and currently finishing some smaller things I want to have released this week. Though as for my map I've started it but I'm still constructing a rough idea of how I want the map to play and look like.

Take your time man. Just checking.

@Ofisil was wondering if I should have an open area at the start of the map, with the sky. Only problem is, it's the city sky texture. I just don't really like my starting room and think it would be cooler to have the player enter some kinda bunker type deal. If not, no worries. I can work around this and do some retooling. Also, is it okay to put computer banks, lights and other little details along the walls of the boarder? I'm trying to utilize as much space as I can within the limits. Oh! Once last thing! map 16 in Doom2 has a nasty teleport trap, is it okay if I do the same, nothing impossible, but using teleport traps would spice up combat a lot!

14 hours ago, Dwimepon said:

Oh, pretty sick! It looks very Romero-esque.

Thanks brodo! I figured I'd try and give this techbase a vintage feel with a modern look and feel to it with the rocky/subterranean bits. I played through your map the other day. No joke, when that hanging corpse popped out, legit spooked my ass! Creepy map, kept me on edge the whole time. That fight with pinkies caught me off guard the first time around. Also! At the exit, I dunno if you changed it, but the two corners, the player can fall into those holes and not get out. Might want to set the linedef to block the player.   

12 minutes ago, Friezus Christ said:

@Ofisil was wondering if I should have an open area at the start of the map, with the sky. Only problem is, it's the city sky texture. I just don't really like my starting room and think it would be cooler to have the player enter some kinda bunker type deal. If not, no worries. I can work around this and do some retooling. Also, is it okay to put computer banks, lights and other little details along the walls of the boarder? I'm trying to utilize as much space as I can within the limits. Oh! Once last thing! map 16 in Doom2 has a nasty teleport trap, is it okay if I do the same, nothing impossible, but using teleport traps would spice up combat a lot!

All stuff mentioned look fine to me. Don't afraid to experiment, as long as the main theme is prevalent one.

As for the teleport thingy, it depends - how "nasty" will ur version be? The "Chapter" the map belongs to has the general description DII-style difficutly, so use that as a rough guide.

4 hours ago, Titanoxus said:

I didn't feel like I had anythong post-worthy yet, but heres an early screenshot of my map:

Screenshot.png.0dff616ba3676718fa0945759effcb1c.png

I also tested a few of the maps.

Really cool ideas, i had a lot of fun playing them.

One thing i found playing 7Soul's map today though: you can grab the blue key through the wall.

Maybe not that big of a deal, but i thougt i'd point it out.

Interesting, I tested that bug and you just need to run along the wall and you can grab any of the items there. What surprises me the most is that it's not even a diagonal linedef

3 hours ago, Ofisil said:

@Titanoxus

Yeah, happens to me in Crispy (not ZDoom or GZDoom, though)

@7Soul want me to fix it myself? The rest of the wad seems just fine.

Also, name of the Map?

Yep, if you move the key 4mu away from the wall it seems to fix it (no that it's a big deal anyway, it doesn't break the level)

Did you see the title I already had in there? Or do you think it's not a good idea to use a joke title like that? :P

@7Soul Err.. I don't get it :D - English is not my main language, if that matters at all.

@Friezus Christ Nice that u saw that. Fixing the map now.

Edited by Ofisil

6 hours ago, Ofisil said:

Still with us?

Any questions?

Any second thoughts :) ?

Been a bit busy with university lately, but I finished the layout long ago, the map is fully functional but I still need to add enemies and mark sectors as secrets, not to mention secondary decorations.

As for questions, my map it's a sewer, full of sewers, so I'd like to ask if the gimmick is to have the slime damage the player? Considering I was thinking about some battles that once tested were harder than I expected, I don't think that'd be the case, but I'd like to know what was your vision on this second map

I don't have any second thoughts, I haven't been able to check the other maps, I'll check MAP03 and make an exit that can connect directly with it

@7Soul realized the problem with the MIDI - it wasn't Freedoom, it was prboom-plus. Seems MAPINFO was used for the name and music; that isn't supported by prboom-plus.

Anyway, I'm not the project leader but that title almost certainly exceeds some kind of character limit. Maybe just "Magnum SSG?"

Are there any open maps, or do you have someone working on all of them?

2 minutes ago, Paf said:

Are there any open maps, or do you have someone working on all of them?

On 3/16/2021 at 6:36 AM, Ofisil said:

29 Icon of Sin-style (D_SHAWN3)

30 Icon of Sin-style but Slaughter-esque (D_OPENIN)

First version of MAP 05. I did place it in MAP 05 to make merging easier down the line. I changed the music to "In the Dark" though "DOOM" works as well.

Spoiler

DOOM0001.png.f1c3c484b179b19cf1c75ca1ce1174b6.pngDOOM0002.png.0b43a76cc2ba83c6080f1ec4e42f1818.pngDOOM0003.png.21eb0d7f1ec0059e2dcc43f26fa8bd7d.png

THEME_GA_05.7z

4 hours ago, Ofisil said:

@Fiendish That's a tricky one, indeed - but still, I want us all to stick to the limitations, although I understand your point. Tell you what, though: does hearing the enemies ruin the atmosphere, or enhance it? Maybe it's alright to hear a couple of nasties to raise the suspense? If you feel that there's NO way around the problem, send over the map to take a look at it myself.

I wouldn't say it ruins the atmosphere, but that's a good idea to use the sound deliberately. I'll keep them all in the grid for now and try to position them in spaces to try and raise suspense like you suggested.   

Still making some progress on my map, it's not playable yet but I would like to share some WIPs of it for now...

Spoiler

image.png.7ebca601b3854ce7596782931713806f.png

image.png.4a9a23f9638eb544953bd424f846a990.png

image.png.21c79de9f36e9a33daa3ee55649bc0b1.png

I did some sketches/progress for the TITLEPIC but I think I have nothing cool to show atm.

Also @Ofisil , I'm thinking of making the INTERPIC too, are you okay with that?

@RemoveUwU "Tradition" dictates Slime to not usually be a damaging liquid :) You are free to make it, but I think it would feel... "weird."

Edited by Ofisil

2 hours ago, T.Will said:

First version of MAP 05. I did place it in MAP 05 to make merging easier down the line. I changed the music to "In the Dark" though "DOOM" works as well.

Reveal hidden contents

DOOM0001.png.f1c3c484b179b19cf1c75ca1ce1174b6.pngDOOM0002.png.0b43a76cc2ba83c6080f1ec4e42f1818.pngDOOM0003.png.21eb0d7f1ec0059e2dcc43f26fa8bd7d.png

THEME_GA_05.7z

Either the file is empty or corrupted

5 hours ago, 7Soul said:

@Ofisil It's a reference to this meme

Oh, now I saw the MAPINFO :DDD

Try a 25 character (or smaller) name even if its a joke one ;)

Keep in mind I won't use MAPINFO, but images for the names, and DEHACKED

7 hours ago, Ofisil said:

All stuff mentioned look fine to me. Don't afraid to experiment, as long as the main theme is prevalent one.

As for the teleport thingy, it depends - how "nasty" will ur version be? The "Chapter" the map belongs to has the general description DII-style difficutly, so use that as a rough guide.

Alright coolio, not gonna be a very nasty teleport trap. I want to have a cavern area, where there is a free supercharge in the middle of this pool. When the player goes to nab it, I would like to have a few revs, imps and hitscanners beam in with a few demons who teleport in on the ground below. Nothing the player cannot handle. They'll be well equipped by that time. Plus a few teleports when you grab keys and stuff. It won't be like the Suburbs where a billion guys start spawning into the map. But shall I make a difficult/cryptic secret for the BFG? I don't like to give good stuff away for easily or freely without some kind of cost, be it monster ambush or keeping your eyes peeled for shootable switches or well hidden doors/switches.