Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ofisil

THEME-GAWAD PROJECT #1

Just a quick question well a couple....

1. How many maps are left or open?

2. What's the theme? i read the post but i just wanna know the them to be sure.

3. I've already did a "first time doom wad" map, i'm working on the remake of it. What i'm saying is, is it ok for a green thumb like myself to do a wad for this project or should i wait for another project to come out?

Been lagging on my map. Had some stuff come up, still working through said stuff atm. I did get a nice chunk nearly finished off the other day, but my comp decided to crash and I didn't have my work saved. Gonna have to go back and redo everything. Hopefully I can get my shit sorted out irl soon enough and be back on that creative energy again and get a playable sample up here for testing. 

Getting back to my MAP11 after a week, wow it's really evenly lit. I'll probably do a lighting pass sometime soon just so it's not a pain to look at.

Might write a bespoke MIDI for it as well.

15 hours ago, DavidN said:

Manufactured a factory level! I think it's about ready to be tested in a beta stage - at least on the single difficulty level I've done so far.

SbcUohE.png

http://files.teamouse.net/doom/wads/MAP07.wad - Factory Level 1. It occupies MAP07

I've also included a MIDI of my own for the music - I'm not 100% sure it fits but it's there if you want it!

I really enjoyed this map. The architecture is solid and the fights have a tense pressure to them without becoming too hard.

There are a couple of things to note. One, Lost Souls aren't allowed until MAP 11. Two, I couldn't open this door and had to no clip to continue.DOOM0000.png.668a0ab7495d4be2f236526e621902bb.png 

The problem is the linedef to spring the spectre trap and the door linedef are too close causing a softlock in vanilla. You could've caught this if you tested it on the Doom (Strict) compatibility. 

Spoiler

Original.jpg.adf87d32ae5738db6288c7a616499bc5.jpg

And three the sky window doesn't work with software rendering.

DOOM0002.png.e89713ac2364c64be01c543a61edaf57.png

To fix this, you can create a new sector and raise the ceiling to the top of the window. Then it'll work.

Spoiler

skyfix1.jpg.c2bf6ac32df38b9d7cb120301b75126f.jpg skyfix2.jpg.9fe7efad8d122c6d7e359ecf4300d927.jpg

DOOM0001.png.eabb46028e0235af7190e1fc83d39b40.png

Other than that, this is an exciting and fun map. I like the music as well.

Edited by T.Will : Found a graphic bug.

@xScavengerWolfx only map 30 (the finale) is available, which is supposed to be a slaughter-mappish Icon of Sin battle. U can always try this one out, greenthumb or not, but I would just reccomend you frequently upload your work for the team to make suggestions on.

What say u?

48 minutes ago, Ofisil said:

@xScavengerWolfx only map 30 (the finale) is available, which is supposed to be a slaughter-mappish Icon of Sin battle. U can always try this one out, greenthumb or not, but I would just recomend you frequently upload your work for the team to make suggestions on.

What say u?

Is there a time limit? if not then sure i'll give it a shot. i can make a layout right now if you like. Do i send it to you by via DM or post it on here the blog post?

@xScavengerWolfx no time limit. I'd generally like to have most of the megawad ready before the end of summer, and I'll probably end the project before January 2021, but that's plenty of time :)

Tagging u now - post your work here so that we can test it and send reccomandations and so on.

1 minute ago, Ofisil said:

@xScavengerWolfx no time limit. I'd generally like to have most of the megawad ready before the end of summer, and I'll probably end the project before January 2021, but that's plenty of time :)

Tagging u now - post your work here so that we can test it and send reccomandations and so on.

Got it, i'll start work on it tonight.

@DavidN great, very Doom1-feel map, in my opinion.

Some fixes:

#1 remove the L.Souls

#2 Mark the Exit room

#3 Hall of mirrors effect in the final area near the exit door (the ambush with the L.Souls, Knights, and so on

#4 Add a about three to four more health items just to balance things out a bit.

...Other than that, top stuff!

Do send in your updated version when possible.

I have more or less finished the map. No title nor MIDI yet, though I think Waiting for Romero to Play fits it well enough. I recommend to use GL renderer if possible, because the software renderer hinders the gameplay/visuals to a degree. It wouldn't be so bad if an edited COLORMAP was applied, which would make it so certain colours would be actually pitch black in pitch black areas, but I'd need permission from the project leader to do that.

Map27ThemegawadJM.zip

@KUBA18i sorry man, we're doing things the classic/minimal way. If u believe the level looks bad in Soft/rendering, tweak lighting and texture a bit.

I'll be sure to test it today and tell u what I think of it.

UPDATE: The map is really good. I really liked its concepts, but yeah, use Vanilla, Chocolate, ZDoom style rendering as your testing port.

Even in GL rendering, though, I believe your map needs plenty of light sources here and there to add the required contrast. For example, when in the "pit" with the Pinkies and the Souls, I would add a couple of more spotlights rather than one.

I have some neat MIDIs in case no one else crafts sth, btw.

Edited by Ofisil

@DavidN This was a really fun, cool looking map! I especially liked the start of it and the little ambushes you've got scattered throughout, my favorite being the one with the cacos/lost souls on the narrow platform (which I'm sure will still be fun after you replace the lost souls with something else). Nice positioning of chaingunners and hell knights to keep one on one's toes without making the map more difficult than it should be. You did an outstanding job with verticality in the map in my opinion, something I want to do better in my own maps. I'm looking forward to watching your more recent videos recording your process of making the map. The only real issues I found have already been pointed out by others. Again, I thought this was a really excellent, fun map to play!

Spoiler

Minor thing -- I did notice one little texture misalignment tucked away in the corner here.

313036500_bugfix4.png.77d33f0066f9ece182edd0f019811165.png

Not an issue, but just wanted to point out I liked this use of the hexagonal texture.

25714920_bugfix3.png.4a6a0e0780201932efc88f2fd03b52c4.png

@KUBA18i I really enjoyed this map, especially the integration of darkness into some of the combat encounters. Very creative and interesting ideas here, in my opinion (especially the use of the fireblu wall). I also liked the setup with the spider mastermind. I wouldn't say this was far harder than Doom II, but I'm also not sure that matters. I thought the shootable switches were pretty clear, but I think that's only because I've played Sigil before. Others might not like tying progression to them (you could go all in with the Sigil reference there by starting the player off in a small locked room with a shootable switch to show them that the eyes are shootable.) But I'd defer to @Ofisil about either of those things. Excellent job with the theme for the map, IMO -- really nice atmosphere and distinctive map!

Edited by Fiendish

Oy

There was no deadline, at least for this year, right?

my Hard Drive kinda died so I'll have to do all the progress I was making on MAP02 again

Okay, I made some adjustments to the map in light of feedback. The main difference is in the red key room fight. Now it should not be as easy to camp out on the balcony/rooms behind. A few other little tweaks were made, the most noticeable others being the monster positioning in some of the ambushes to give them just a bit more of a bite (but also upped a few stimpacks to medkits to compensate). This version also includes the current version of the midi made for the map, which I think will be lengthened a bit for the final version.

Theme-Gawad Map19 - alternate.zip

Ok here's the first attempt at the Icon of Sin map. Before i get the whole "why didn't you use the Icon of sin textures" let me explain: I'm still new to mapping, i've tried and i do mean I've tried but it kept looking like shit so i decided to do it my way. If you have any suggestions or idea's how to make this better, please let me know. In my option i like the starting room layout but i don't like the main room.

The lord of hell (Icon of Sin).wad.zip

edit: It's map 30 btw sorry i forgot to mentioned that.

@xScavengerWolfx I'll be honest with you mate. I get the feeling (from your map that is) that you need a bit more experience with mapping.

I understand that this is a first version, but it's way too simplistic both in concept and design.

One suggestion would be to play other IoS maps to get some inspiration from (and check the team's work to get a feel of the expected quality). Oh, and remember: your theme is supposed to be a slaughtermappish IoS battle, not just a simple one.

Btw, the usage of IoS textures isn't a requisite, but you have to provide a creative "alternative." Again, check other maps of that kind to understand what I mean.

4 hours ago, Ofisil said:

@xScavengerWolfx I'll be honest with you mate. I get the feeling (from your map that is) that you need a bit more experience with mapping.

I understand that this is a first version, but it's way too simplistic both in concept and design.

One suggestion would be to play other IoS maps to get some inspiration from (and check the team's work to get a feel of the expected quality). Oh, and remember: your theme is supposed to be a slaughtermappish IoS battle, not just a simple one.

Btw, the usage of IoS textures isn't a requisite, but you have to provide a creative "alternative." Again, check other maps of that kind to understand what I mean.

Ok like i've said I'm still new to mapping but feed back is always good for me to get better in my option. Slaughter ish huh? Ok i'll rework it and i will play different icon of sins maps to get a better feeling for it. I'm keeping the starting room area though lol.

Just played the released maps in the beta version of the WAD, linked in the OP. My honest thoughts:

Map05 - Small/short, but fun to play.

Map06 - I really liked this one. I loved the creative use of detailing.

Map11 - Much like MAP06, I dig the detailing. I like how it feels like you're on a plane that lands in the end.

Map12 - Well, this one took me a while to finish, and the detailing/architecture isn't as interesting as the other ones. I kinda didn't know where to go a lot, so I guess it's good for the mapper that they managed to get more playtime out of a small map like this.

Map14 - Fancy hotel or something. I would enjoy this more if there weren't so many damaging floors. I also don't appreciate the crammed bullet spongy enemies in tight spaces, especially due to the damaging floors.

Map19 - Cool architecture and detailing, and the combat seemed fine. I like it.

Map22 - Kinda unusual, is pretty short too. Not sure what to say; I guess it's fine.

Map23 - I like the architecture, even if it's not as inventive as Maps 6, 11 and 19. The gameplay feels much better once you know from the get go where the SSG is.

So far, I have a feeling that this Megawad's gonna be good.

@RemoveUwU Damn, I have been there before. In case you can connect to the drive and interact with it, I strongly recommend you to use software like PhotoRec to recover your files. Maybe with TestDisk, you will be able to recover your partition, but I don't know what it's like on your side. Remember, that if you write new data to the drive or format it, data recovery will be harder, if not impossible.

Anyone wanna link me some Icon of sin maps/Slaughter maps? i need to get the feel for a slaughter/Icon of sin combo map.

6 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

Anyone wanna link me some Icon of sin maps/Slaughter maps? i need to get the feel for a slaughter/Icon of sin combo map.

MAP18 of Ancient Aliens comes to mind, but other than that, can't really think of anything that might fuse both.

As for interesting IoS maps, I can think of Excalibur from Eternal Doom, it's probably my favourite. But it's because the level that leads up to the fight is brilliant; the fight itself is pretty on par.

BTW, I forgot. Whoever compiled this map forgot to coonvert some lumps from PNG to doom image format. Please remember to fix.

prboom-plus_Je63ujoy61.png.4c7cd3e29a3cd711e89f6dc90bfba762.pngprboom-plus_PNRcfWh49o.png.da51e676a5919eec0eb244c531497fd9.pngSLADE_9CByKOsWeB.png.f2d17043965d0f813c7b84240790074e.png

5 hours ago, KUBA18i said:

MAP18 of Ancient Aliens comes to mind, but other than that, can't really think of anything that might fuse both.

As for interesting IoS maps, I can think of Excalibur from Eternal Doom, it's probably my favourite. But it's because the level that leads up to the fight is brilliant; the fight itself is pretty on par.

BTW, I forgot. Whoever compiled this map forgot to coonvert some lumps from PNG to doom image format. Please remember to fix.

prboom-plus_Je63ujoy61.png.4c7cd3e29a3cd711e89f6dc90bfba762.pngprboom-plus_PNRcfWh49o.png.da51e676a5919eec0eb244c531497fd9.pngSLADE_9CByKOsWeB.png.f2d17043965d0f813c7b84240790074e.png

Ok i've started playing wads to help me think of a good concept for the final map. I played Arcadia and OMG it was fucking badass. Now im playing one called the darking. It has some quake inspired mapping in it. i call it doing some homework to get better at mapping.

Note: I haven't played quake (yet), i will at some point.  

@Ofisil I was just playing through map14, do you think that The Ritual sounds too quiet in-game? I can easily increase the volume if so.

Also would be a good time to mention that I have uploaded some new MIDIs to OpenGameArt recently, and I think they'd fit for a fairly broad variety of maps, so I'll offer then again to this project:

https://opengameart.org/content/the-invisible-gardener

https://opengameart.org/content/derelict

https://opengameart.org/content/desolation-0

Edited by northivanastan

4 hours ago, DavidN said:

And here’s the last video with suggested adjustments and further last additions!

The finished MAP07 is ready for testing in the same place as before, http://files.teamouse.net/doom/wads/MAP07.wad

Great job! There's just two little issues to easily resolve.

Lines 1 & 2 are the raised floor/lift and Line 3 is the door linedef.

319134996_LinesTags.jpg.7f9f89895471ca71c751b2f67d6f1680.jpg 

The Door Open Stay on Line 3 is unnecessary and can even hinder as it causes a linedef softlock once the floor is raised. Linedefs 1 and 2 aren't tagged "1" which can cause a sector collapse as I found out.

DOOM0001.png.263881fc7a85aec6fdffc5c7bf819cf0.pngDOOM0002.png.6152bb9e08019ff52b157dacc1058490.pngDOOM0003.png.8206916baad3d5dcb17ea3c2fb50f347.png

Fix those and it should be gold.

Spoiler

Also I found a shotgunner still sleeping after his friends died.

DOOM0000.png.561406e2383839f9dff9081f208f666c.png