Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ofisil

THEME-GAWAD PROJECT #1

20 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

So, I'm about to start my MAP18, hopefully, finally.

Do you want a fully normal city (Doom 2 texures permitting) or some hell influence might be allowed or even expected, like original city levels were?

It's up to you :)

Is it okay if I can go a little bit beyond the 3027 unit grid size so I can make the small section for the John Romero head?

So I'm pretty much done already. I tried to put in as much monsters as possible with the map limit size so its kind of slaughter esque. I've only done a few hell styled maps before and this is actually my first Icon of sin map as well as my first community project. Hope the map is good, its pretty difficult for me and I hope it will make it into the wad. 

MWAD30.png

MWAD31.png

MWAD32.png

MWAD33.png

THEMEGWAD30.rar

2 hours ago, Skronkidonk said:

So I'm pretty much done already. I tried to put in as much monsters as possible with the map limit size so its kind of slaughter esque. I've only done a few hell styled maps before and this is actually my first Icon of sin map as well as my first community project. Hope the map is good, its pretty difficult for me and I hope it will make it into the wad. 

MWAD30.png

MWAD31.png

MWAD32.png

MWAD33.png

THEMEGWAD30.rar

I've played it and it reminds me of ploutonia's map32 go 2 it (difficulty wise). The only issue i have with this is the sense of direction, like after getting my ass handed to me so many times i decided to god mode it (sorry but i was getting pissed off when arch-vile were cooking me alive) i didn't know where to go or what to do next, after wall humping and running around, i walked over a line to make the lifts to the doors work (the line is where i killed the spider mastermind at by the way). The IOS fight, great but i don't know if the fight is meant for mouse look or not (i don't use mouse look i think it ruins the fun of DooM, but that's my option). i think what should do is lift the IOS up a bit more or lower the walls a bit more because i was having trouble trying to hit the hole (or the brain) to kill the IOS. 

Over all it was a great map, fun but a real pain in the ass in a good way. I'm glade someone finally got to do map30 after i give it up. My MAP30 wasn't good and i don't have my map30 anymore because to me i didn't want to rework it. Anyways hopes this helps and good luck. 

Edited by xScavengerWolfx

Doing some very liberal interpretation of "city". Having to keep monsters inside the box is really restricting to me, so I decided to try and have no teleport closets whatsoever.

Instead I'm going for a very open map filled with mancubuses, revenants and arachnotrons.

doom217.png

The city is supposed to be dark, so here it is dark. Works well enough.

Some rooms are missing furniture, but I'll fix it in due time.

doom222.png

Hello people. It has been quite awhile since I've done anything here so let me explain myself. Thanks to the immense amount of stress that online school was causing me, I was forced to take an unplanned and unpleasantly long hiatus from making my map. Sadly this means I haven't been able to do any work on it. But now that summer has rolled around and my school year is over I finally have free time to be able to resume work on my map. I can't wait to finish it and I hope everyone enjoys it when it's done!

I too have been away for a while focusing on other maps and work, but i will be working on this map now. I hopefully will be able to release it rather soon.

The first draft of my submission for MAP18: Adver City.

I tried to compensate for lack of good ambush space count by frontloading the whole thing with sniping monsters, then compensated for it by generous health and armor pickups.

I haven't implemented difficulty beside UV yet because I'm not sure how hard the whole thing is supposed to be and whenever I hit the mark.

Edit: Rewrote my post because I meant something else instead of "low monster count". Monster count is pretty high.

Adver City.zip

doom227.png

Edited by ViolentBeetle

@Skronkidonk

Hey there, just tested ur map.

Some thoughts:

1) Visually it's very good - I would add some non-red details to create some contrast with all that blood and red rock, but still, very good.

2) Since the bulk of the gameplay is away from the icon of sin, I would rebalance it a bit. Add more diverse enemies, remove the initial arch-vile ambush altogether (really annoying IMO). Don't be afraid to fill the map with 200 more foes, but do add lots of health and ammo as is "customary" in slaughter maps.

3) Make the IOS area a bit tougher. The "welcoming" commitee is a bit unimpressive.

Update on my map - changed some monster placement and increased ammo count (Life where you can't spam rockets like a maniac is not worth living), fixed stuck lost souls. Made secret a little more interesting. Halved number of imps on the ledge, they weren't interesting anyway.

Adver City_2.zip

2 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Update on my map - changed some monster placement and increased ammo count (Life where you can't spam rockets like a maniac is not worth living), fixed stuck lost souls. Made secret a little more interesting. Halved number of imps on the ledge, they weren't interesting anyway.

Adver City_2.zip

Excellent, excellent, excellent map. Cathartic, and very... "simple & fun" just the way I like it.

One change and you are done for me basically: lower the enemy count to like 50 less enemies as your map belongs in "Doom II style difficulty" and doesn't feel like it. Preferably lower the Revs ;)

29 minutes ago, Ofisil said:

Excellent, excellent, excellent map. Cathartic, and very... "simple & fun" just the way I like it.

One change and you are done for me basically: lower the enemy count to like 50 less enemies as your map belongs in "Doom II style difficulty" and doesn't feel like it. Preferably lower the Revs ;)

Ok, I thinned the crowds a bit, coincidentally it was about 50 monsters even if I wasn't aiming for this mark.

What do you think about current state of ammo? Did you feel there's too much? Or perhaps not enough so removing monsters would make it just right? Or perhaps it was just right before and now I should remove some?

@ViolentBeetle decrease the ammo a bit in the last areas near the exit. By then most players will already have too much of it, especially since this wad is meant to be played continuously

1 hour ago, Ofisil said:

@ViolentBeetle decrease the ammo a bit in the last areas near the exit. By then most players will already have too much of it, especially since this wad is meant to be played continuously

Seems reasonable. I'll test what I did a submit another version probably today.

Version 3:

As you requested, I thinned some crowds. It mostly affects the outside where it used to be hard to squeeze through the crowd, and I also removed some revenant snipers.

I didn't feel that most of the indoor squads need thinning since you can usually just walk out and have plenty of room to dodge.

I did a few more details and I added some more medkits outside as well. This is the hardest part, and being boxed is pretty painful

I also added more bullets while reducing ammo count behind the red door.

Adver City_3.zip

Here's my slaughter map for map32. I don't have a name yet but I'm open to suggestions.

I didn't want the map to be mindless "hold down fire button to win", so I tried to make it as much reliant on the player using skill. It was a challenge, though, being restricted to such a small space, but I think it's a fun map. That said, it is tough on ultraviolence (but easier once you have a strategy down). But let me know what I may need to improve or any criticisms. Cheers!

map32.wad

@ViolentBeetle Great! One of my favs has become better. When you feel you are done, send over the final version and a title - just don't raise the difficulty.

@Bri Ok, first the good stuff - I love this map, and I'm not even into slaughtermaps. Challenging, but still all about skill, despite a few tricky spots. Looks great too!

I would add more health items (two spheres, and maybe a couple of them medkits) in order to balance things out a bit, as the rest of the megawad isn't that hardcore.

The bad?

Rule #2 Doom II stock textures-only / Doom II standard Wad format

Don't know how hard it is to fix things, but please convert your map to a standard wad, with no scripts or anything like that.

Thanx

It sounds like everything is going great over here. Haven't had time to check out any of the maps besides the map30 one. When i get a chances i'll try out map 32 and think of a name for ya @Bri

13 hours ago, Ofisil said:

@ViolentBeetle Great! One of my favs has become better. When you feel you are done, send over the final version and a title - just don't raise the difficulty.

@Bri Ok, first the good stuff - I love this map, and I'm not even into slaughtermaps. Challenging, but still all about skill, despite a few tricky spots. Looks great too!

I would add more health items (two spheres, and maybe a couple of them medkits) in order to balance things out a bit, as the rest of the megawad isn't that hardcore.

The bad?

Rule #2 Doom II stock textures-only / Doom II standard Wad format

Don't know how hard it is to fix things, but please convert your map to a standard wad, with no scripts or anything like that.

Thanx

It's funny, because I knew to do it in Doom 2 format but I still for some reason built it in UDMF, haha. Shouldn't be too hard to convert though.

@Bri i just got done playing your map and all i got to say is it was fun and hard as fuck lol. i don't have any complaints about it, i liked the layout, i liked the theme and i liked the monster placements. Great job my man :).

4 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

@Bri i just got done playing your map and all i got to say is it was fun and hard as fuck lol. i don't have any complaints about it, i liked the layout, i liked the theme and i liked the monster placements. Great job my man :).

Thanks a lot! I worry it may be too hard, but that's always an area I find hard to gauge properly, especially after years of playing harder wads. I will tweak some stuff though. 

12 minutes ago, Bri said:

Thanks a lot! I worry it may be too hard, but that's always an area I find hard to gauge properly, especially after years of playing harder wads. I will tweak some stuff though. 

i mean it is a slaughter map after all, it's supposed to be hard/ball busting after all lol.

Version 4, probably final. Map name is "Adver City", if you are OK with this sort of names.

I removed, or changed some monsters that didn't do anything meaningful like Hell Knights on top of a crate.

I also added obstacles that would prevent player from activating arachnotrons without dropping into slime.

Adver City_4.zip

9 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Version 4, probably final. Map name is "Adver City", if you are OK with this sort of names.

I removed, or changed some monsters that didn't do anything meaningful like Hell Knights on top of a crate.

I also added obstacles that would prevent player from activating arachnotrons without dropping into slime.

Adver City_4.zip

I played your map and i gotta say it was fun but in my option i only got two things i wanna point out:

1. I felt like it was a little dark, i think the theme was city level with a dark tint to it but that's just me.

2. Pistol starting was not fun at all lol. i count how many times i restarted pistol starting your map but i did it. 

Overall it was fun and a bit of a pain in the ass but fun in my option. 

Note: i take it you like your spooky boners (revenants) too much don'tcha lol.