Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ofisil

THEME-GAWAD PROJECT #1

On 1/14/2022 at 11:26 AM, xScavengerWolfx said:

Alright i finally have the first draft of the map made and i play tested to make sure everything was working. Please note this is still a work in progress so if there's any bugs or i need to change something let me know.

This is under Map31 (secret map and yes it leads to map32)

Map is called Trapped inside madness (working title)

It's a survival with little ammo and health (that might change health wise)

The music is from Doom 1 They're going to get you, it works at least to me

On HMP there's 160 and UV 170.

Disclaimer: You might want to use the IDKFA cheat just like if you found the secret exit in map 15 of Doom 2. I only say that because it's survival and i was very strict about the ammo and health, again the health might change.

So have fun and let me know what y'all think. I'm going to take a break from working on it until i get enough feed back to make changes, like i did with map03.

Also if there's going to be custom texts that lead to the map i do have two things for it again if there's going to be.

The first one is this: "Congrats for finding the secret level. I hope you brought "plenty" of ammo, because your going to need it. Since you're now trapped inside madness. Good luck".

The second one is this: "After going through the portal (or hitting the switch) you find yourself inside a cavern that reeks of rotting flesh and strong smell of blood. You can hear them laughing beyond the darkness and calling your name with a taunting sound. With your arsenal in hand, you take a deep breath and start moving because you are now trapped inside madness". 

After people play tested this and gave feed back i will rework/fix the issues. I had fun making this even though it feels kinda plutonina eqse but the theme was survival so i delivered.

Trapped inside Madness.zip

okay I did a first test run through the whole map. First of all, i would never expect the player to have more weapons or ammo that i give in the map. I know the wad is supposed to be played single segment, but you never know. Players might have died in your map and restartet or ended the last map with very little ressources. So I recommend to allways design the map with pistol start in mind. 

I played through the map in GLBoom-Plus but i had to use IDDQD since i dont think it's possible to beat it otherwise at the moment:

1.I really like the design of the start, and the overall cave feeling, especially how u can see the sky through the ceiling. I can see the resemblance to your other map, which is a cool thing.

2. I also like the idea of very limited health, which fits the survival theme. But the map is kinda all over the place, first you start with very little space to manouver and very little ammo and weapons, which is fine for a tyson-esque map. But later on there are very big fights without giving appropriate weapons.

3. I would give the player a berserk instead of the forced chainsaw. It's way more skillexpressive and u can kill a bigger variety of monsters with berserk. Maybe make it a choice?

4. Keep in mind that Mancubi, Spiderdemons  and Arachnotrons are very hard to melee in ports other than GZDoom.

5. I like how u have to get the monsters to infight, i think that's the main concept that makes this map work. I'd change the barons to hell knights though. In the end your stuck with so many barons, because they just win the infighting with their big health pools. Also i don't think it's necessary to have that many monsters overall. Since you wait a lot for infights to end so you can chanisaw or punch the rest out, it can get very frustrating and boring if done for too long without variety. Another fix for that could be to add more clever fights for the player to figure out.

6. If you go with the full infighting survival style, avoid too narrow walkways, where you can't sneak around a monster to get away(Mancubi and Arachnotrons are very fat). I would also be more careful with Pains and viles, since you don't have the arsenal to deal with them quickly and the way they are placed now they just fill the room with monsters . You can make both of them work in Tyson maps but they should maybe be alone or stationary.

7. The switch hunting ist cool, but often times you do not know where to go next, because after running around a bunch everything looks pretty similar. Maybe add some recognizable landmarks. 

8. The last room is kinda nuts with no weapons. Especially a Spiderdemon with no cover? I dont know about that. If you want to do it maybe give an invulnerability. That might make for an interesting fight. I'd also let the palyer get out before exiting so he can clean up and get 100% with whats left of the big last fight.

9. One idea to make the map more interesting: Maybe add some crushers so you can get rid of enemies that are left after infighting.

10. The map is kind flat overall; maybe add some height variation.

11. The cacos at the start are stuck in each other.

12. In the small room with the 4 green torches, there is a wrong texture left of the south western one.

13. Also i miss a few secrets. It's a secret map after all ;)

These are the things I found and a few ideas.  Maps like this aren't easy to get right so i hope it helps :)

Edited by Titanoxus

Sorry if I've been clogging up the thread lately, but considering how late I've jumped into the project, and the fact that I had a few free days courtesy of COVID, I decided to go for a big push and get to the stage where I can start thinking about balancing. 

Skunkworks.wad

Provisional name: 'Breaching the Skunkworks'.

Theme: 'underground - rocky techbase'.

Tested with: GzDoom and PrBoom+ /GlBoom+ (thanks @Titanoxus for the further playtesting and feedback. My inexperience is to blame

for every remaining bug).

Playtime: 10 mins? pretty short map overall. 

Difficulty: UV and HMP preliminary balancing (I beat it on UV so it's probably too easy).

Changelog:

- Should now be the appropriate project format, and all actions should work properly.

- Massive redecoration to make the level more techy and remove a couple softlocks.

- Some enemy / ammo rebalancing. The map's concept still remains a 'hunt for tight ammo' kind of deal.

Depending how much time I have available before having to fold I might also take care of the MIDI. Fortunately that's something I have some experience in. 

Of course if anyone feels inspired feel free to!

Edited by Thelokk

5 hours ago, Titanoxus said:

okay I did a first test run through the whole map. First of all, i would never expect the player to have more weapons or ammo that i give in the map. I know the wad is supposed to be played single segment, but you never know. Players might have died in your map and restartet or ended the last map with very little ressources. So I recommend to allways design the map with pistol start in mind. 

I played through the map in GLBoom-Plus but i had to use IDDQD since i dont think it's possible to beat it otherwise at the moment:

1.I really like the design of the start, and the overall cave feeling, especially how u can see the sky through the ceiling. I can see the resemblance to your other map, which is a cool thing.

2. I also like the idea of very limited health, which fits the survival theme. But the map is kinda all over the place, first you start with very little space to manouver and very little ammo and weapons, which is fine for a tyson-esque map. But later on there are very big fights without giving appropriate weapons.

3. I would give the player a berserk instead of the forced chainsaw. It's way more skillexpressive and u can kill a bigger variety of monsters with berserk. Maybe make it a choice?

4. Keep in mind that Mancubi, Spiderdemons  and Arachnotrons are very hard to melee in ports other than GZDoom.

5. I like how u have to get the monsters to infight, i think that's the main concept that makes this map work. I'd change the barons to hell knights though. In the end your stuck with so many barons, because they just win the infighting with their big health pools. Also i don't think it's necessary to have that many monsters overall. Since you wait a lot for infights to end so you can chanisaw or punch the rest out, it can get very frustrating and boring if done for too long without variety. Another fix for that could be to add more clever fights for the player to figure out.

6. If you go with the full infighting survival style, avoid too narrow walkways, where you can't sneak around a monster to get away(Mancubi and Arachnotrons are very fat). I would also be more careful with Pains and viles, since you don't have the arsenal to deal with them quickly and the way they are placed now they just fill the room with monsters . You can make both of them work in Tyson maps but they should maybe be alone or stationary.

7. The switch hunting ist cool, but often times you do not know where to go next, because after running around a bunch everything looks pretty similar. Maybe add some recognizable landmarks. 

8. The last room is kinda nuts with no weapons. Especially a Spiderdemon with no cover? I dont know about that. If you want to do it maybe give an invulnerability. That might make for an interesting fight. I'd also let the palyer get out before exiting so he can clean up and get 100% with whats left of the big last fight.

9. One idea to make the map more interesting: Maybe add some crushers so you can get rid of enemies that are left after infighting.

10. The map is kind flat overall; maybe add some height variation.

11. The cacos at the start are stuck in each other.

12. In the small room with the 4 green torches, there is a wrong texture left of the south western one.

13. Also i miss a few secrets. It's a secret map after all ;)

These are the things I found and a few ideas.  Maps like this aren't easy to get right so i hope it helps :)

Thanks for the feed back. I will get started on fixing it asap.

4 hours ago, Skronkidonk said:

Tbh I would totally make another map for this project so it can be released faster
I have lots of free time on my hands at the moment

MAP 21 then?

8 hours ago, Skronkidonk said:

Yea I'd love too
no custom textures right?

It's yours!

Exactly. Standard textures and format.

I know every one is busy and such but i just want to let everyone know that my first draft of the secret map is out and waiting for more people to give feed back on it before i start reworking it.

I already had titan give feed back on it (thanks by the way), so when ever you have the chance please let me know what needs to be done on it.

It's in the style of map03 (it was suppose to be like a wolfenstine theme style but i couldn't get to work so i went cavern getting transformed into hellish theme).

But i'll still be working on it, for right now (at least for my personal benefit) i'm learning how to map with UDMF, again for my own personal benefit not for this project.

Hope everyone having fun mapping and i can't wait to see how it all turns out in the end of it all.

@xScavengerWolfx  finally found some time to test your map - I'll repeat pretty much all the stuff @Titanoxus has mentioned for your next version.

1.Delete like... half the monsters. The pacing of survival maps that are based in melee weaponry becomes very bad IMO

2.Add Height variations, and maybe plenty of decorative corpses (impaled humans, hanging carcasses and so on)

3.Add two exits - the normal one, and the super secret exit. (make the super secret exit harder to find of course)

My personal reccomandation would be to start in small room with plenty of player corpses and lots of weapons ammo, but with little to no ammo in the rest of the map, forcing you to handle the monsters up ahead in a tactical way.

Either way, thanx for your WIP - keep it going!

11 hours ago, Ofisil said:

@xScavengerWolfx  finally found some time to test your map - I'll repeat pretty much all the stuff @Titanoxus has mentioned for your next version.

1.Delete like... half the monsters. The pacing of survival maps that are based in melee weaponry becomes very bad IMO

2.Add Height variations, and maybe plenty of decorative corpses (impaled humans, hanging carcasses and so on)

3.Add two exits - the normal one, and the super secret exit. (make the super secret exit harder to find of course)

My personal reccomandation would be to start in small room with plenty of player corpses and lots of weapons ammo, but with little to no ammo in the rest of the map, forcing you to handle the monsters up ahead in a tactical way.

Either way, thanx for your WIP - keep it going!

No problem. As far as the monsters go i had a feeling that would be an issue.

i can rework some of the rooms and make them either higher or lower, maybe add some crusher like Titan said.

If need be i can add a room where (at least in the starting area) where there's ammo and weapons but strip it all way later in the map....if that will work. What i mean is you get feed ammo and weapons and health but that's it in that area.

I might have to re make parts of the map but i can do.

Thanks by the way.

Edit: I'm reworking the map, only because i took a look at it and said "this looks like i rushed it", so i'm reworking it and hopefully the newer one looks and play more like a map. Yes i'm still going with the caven/hellish look theme but i wanna also add some let's just say dickish moments ;). Anyways that's just an update on what's going on.

Edited by xScavengerWolfx

@Thelokk

Nice update man - definately much better than before. The challenge is just about right, and the map, while super small, doesn't feel "unfinished." I also like how you have to actively search for ammo in the beginning. There's some weird, "unconvensional" texturing, like in the blue armor room, and the exit door, but if you want to leave it like that, be my guest. It has that weird Doom abstractness.

In any ways. Whenever you feel like it, send over the final, polished version when u think you are done, and I'll add it to the pile.

Thanx!

Quick question about having guns and ammo in the secret map i'm doing. Should i or should i not put the BFG in?

I'm only asking because if i did i would put it some place where the player would have to figure out how to get it and stuff.

If i don't have to put the BFG in then i won't worry about it.

9 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

Quick question about having guns and ammo in the secret map i'm doing. Should i or should i not put the BFG in?

I'm only asking because if i did i would put it some place where the player would have to figure out how to get it and stuff.

If i don't have to put the BFG in then i won't worry about it.

Can't really think of a reason to not or NOT add a BFG.

It's up to you really.

2 hours ago, Ofisil said:

Can't really think of a reason to not or NOT add a BFG.

It's up to you really.

Ok i'll figure something out

Just a heads up that, being currently stuck at home in quarantine I have boatloads of free time, so I can sub in for a second map if we have any droppers.  

@Ofisil I sent you a link to the final revision of MAP16 as a DM. Would it be better to post the link here instead? Sorry, not too savy in cp etiquette. 

I'm giving an update on my map.

This is what i got so far, i'm still working on it slowly but surely. I am added more details and height to it as well.

I decided to go with a three piece map layout (within the box of course). I'm also going to add some traps and maybe a secret or two....don't worry i still have the secret exit in here as well.

So that's my update on the map so far. i'll keep you posted on when i get more of it done.

E.jpg

1 hour ago, Thelokk said:

Just a heads up that, being currently stuck at home in quarantine I have boatloads of free time, so I can sub in for a second map if we have any droppers.  

@Ofisil I sent you a link to the final revision of MAP16 as a DM. Would it be better to post the link here instead? Sorry, not too savy in cp etiquette. 

Don't care about forum etiquette myself :D

Send it over here so we can all take a look at it

1 hour ago, Ofisil said:

Don't care about forum etiquette myself :D

Send it over here so we can all take a look at it

BreachingtheSkunkworks.wad

@Ofisil Here it is. Got some more 3rd party playtesters to take a look at it and general consensus is that a map this small will only get worse with more tinkering. So, unless something is heavily broken, this should be the final iteration. Still need a good soul to slap a MIDI on this little guy!

Title: 'Breaching the Skunkworks'.

Mapper: Thelokk

Playtime: between 5 and 7 mins.

Tested in: GzDoom and GLBoom+.

Difficulties: UV and HMP implemented.

17 hours ago, Thelokk said:

BreachingtheSkunkworks.wad

@Ofisil Here it is. Got some more 3rd party playtesters to take a look at it and general consensus is that a map this small will only get worse with more tinkering. So, unless something is heavily broken, this should be the final iteration. Still need a good soul to slap a MIDI on this little guy!

Title: 'Breaching the Skunkworks'.

Mapper: Thelokk

Playtime: between 5 and 7 mins.

Tested in: GzDoom and GLBoom+.

Difficulties: UV and HMP implemented.

Will add it to the list along with a MIDI as soon as possible.

Thanx!

Edit: to make my post more helpful, do note that your map is the most beginner-looking so far. This project is generally friendly to newcomers to the mapping scene, so for the most part its ok for this megawad. In other words, there's plenty of room for improvement. Check out maps from others (start with map02 which is also beginner-like, but better than your submission) if you want to get some ideas in order to improve your craft. In any case, welcome to the community!

Edited by Ofisil

3 hours ago, Ofisil said:

Will add it to the list along with a MIDI as soon as possible.

Thanx!

Edit: to make my post more helpful, do note that your map is the most beginner-looking so far. This project is generally friendly to newcomers to the mapping scene, so for the most part its ok for this megawad. In other words, there's plenty of room for improvement. Check out maps from others (start with map02 which is also beginner-like, but better than your submission) if you want to get some ideas in order to improve your craft. In any case, welcome to the community!

I imagine, considering I had a total of 10 days experience mapping when I began this one. My latest map for the Trunk has received some pretty decent feedback from playtesters and I'm having lots of fun, so def in it for the long haul :D 

I'm giving a small update on my map. Yes i'm still working on it but it's been slow because i'm recovery from being sick (no i don't have covid i had test for it and came back negative), i've also been kinda having mapper block as well. 

Been kinda in a rut on how i want things to work out in the map and how i wanna set up everything.

I'm still going with the cavern slowly turning into a hellish cavern, i am still going with the limit ammo/survival theme as well (i have to because that's what it calls for).

I should have it done hopefully by the end of February no later then early march. Why am i saying that, because i want to take my time working on it and i don't want a shitty rush job like i did with the first draft map i posted here. 

Anyways that's my update if you need it sooner then i can try pull all nighters to do it if need be.

Hi everyone, I have been working on & off on my Map 24 submission.  It's far enough along now that I need some second opinions on it (is it fun to play?  Does it fit the 'River/Lake of Blood' theme?  Any bugs I've missed?).

I present to you all, the WIP version of what I am tentatively calling 'BLOODY HECK!'

Screenshots below, download link HERE!

r3WvZ7.jpg

r3WLsr.jpg

r3WMuF.jpg

r3WeUb.jpg

Ammo is very tight on this map when pistol starting, but I have verified the map is completeable from a pistol start as per the guidelines.  Only UV difficulty has been implemented currently.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback!  ^_^

2 hours ago, Rymante said:

Hi everyone, I have been working on & off on my Map 24 submission.  It's far enough along now that I need some second opinions on it (is it fun to play?  Does it fit the 'River/Lake of Blood' theme?  Any bugs I've missed?).

I present to you all, the WIP version of what I am tentatively calling 'BLOODY HECK!'

Screenshots below, download link HERE!

r3WvZ7.jpg

r3WLsr.jpg

r3WMuF.jpg

r3WeUb.jpg

Ammo is very tight on this map when pistol starting, but I have verified the map is completeable from a pistol start as per the guidelines.  Only UV difficulty has been implemented currently.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback!  ^_^

Tried my best but couldn't complete past 41/100. Way,waaaaaay too tight on ammo. Sorry :S That aside looks promising, fairly hard but it encourages infighting with a good mix of monsters. Not a fan of instantly raising sectors but that's just a personal thing I guess. 

@Rymante nice one man!

I like the setting, and especially the blood "portals" in the sky"

I also like how the ammo scarcity forces you to run around (at least in pistol start), and create some infighting.

My only reccomendation would be to either thin the herd a bit (like... -20 enemies) or add more ammo in those spots where the archviles make their appearance.

I await ur final version. Thanx!

Perhaps I was a bit too strict with the ammo placement in the original version.......therefore I have a new version ready to try!  It has the following changes.

• More ammo!  Mostly in the areas near the exit as Ofisil suggested, but a little more bullets & a few rockets in the starting area as well.  I preferred the idea of adding more ammo as apposed to taking monsters away so here we are, hopefully it's enough.
  • Moved 2 boxes of rockets to what I hope is a more easily visible location (I was missing them during my own playtests & I bloody placed the things!  XD)
  • Added a little more detail to the map, in the form of extra sector work & decorative 'things'

Download the new version HERE!

If the ammo amount is considered adequate, then we can consider this the final version.

So another update on this map. This is how far i'm at it right now. (see the picture below)

I should be done at least with the map layout by either tomorrow or friday, i'm still kinda in a mapper rut at the moment, but at least i'm showing progress and letting everyone know i'm still doing the map.

I have changed it from trapped inside madness to Sanity Breaker, i don't know it just sounded metal as fuck and the theme is kind of a twisty fucky cavern.

I will say that i want this secret level to be fun but also kind of a slug fest (don't worry, i won't fill it to the brim of arch-viles. Who the hell y'all think i am? Dario?)

Anyways here's what i got so far (picture wise), i should be able to get it ready for play testing soon.

Trapped inside madness.jpg

On 2/1/2022 at 4:17 PM, Rymante said:

Perhaps I was a bit too strict with the ammo placement in the original version.......therefore I have a new version ready to try!  It has the following changes.

• More ammo!  Mostly in the areas near the exit as Ofisil suggested, but a little more bullets & a few rockets in the starting area as well.  I preferred the idea of adding more ammo as apposed to taking monsters away so here we are, hopefully it's enough.
  • Moved 2 boxes of rockets to what I hope is a more easily visible location (I was missing them during my own playtests & I bloody placed the things!  XD)
  • Added a little more detail to the map, in the form of extra sector work & decorative 'things'

Download the new version HERE!

If the ammo amount is considered adequate, then we can consider this the final version.

@Rymante the map is much better balanced now. Thanx. A thing that eluded me in the first playthrough, however, is this: can you kill those hidden archies that resurect the knights? If not plz change that, because we must be able to 100% maps.