Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ofisil

THEME-GAWAD PROJECT #1

1 hour ago, Thelokk said:

May I?

As you are fairly new (I suppose at least) to the mapping scene, do you think you can have a small WIP in less than a month.

Also, any questions about the rules?

29 minutes ago, Ofisil said:

As you are fairly new (I suppose at least) to the mapping scene, do you think you can have a small WIP in less than a month.

Also, any questions about the rules?

Most definitely. What I lack in experience I make up in respecting deadlines. Rules seems fairly clear so far. Your call. 

Okay, we seem to be set for the final, three-month stretch.

I'm noting down what's left for everyone to see, but mainly for me to organise things.

MAP10 @A.H. Sankhatayan - Waiting new version
MAP15 @eLeR Creative - Waiting new & fixes 
MAP16 @Thelokk - Waiting first version
MAP17 @DFF - Waiting first version

MAP24 @Rymante - Waiting first version

MAP26 @NeedHealth - Waiting first version

MAP28 @Spectre01 - Waiting final
MAP29 @A.H. Sankhatayan - Waiting new version

MAP31 @xScavengerWolfx - Waiting first version

The one that's left is @nue's map. As there's no online activity for two weeks or so, I'm not freeing the slot for three more days.

After that I'll handle the map my self. @nue if the slot is taken when u read this do send your map. I won't mind returning the slot back to you.

4 hours ago, Ofisil said:

Okay, we seem to be set for the final, three-month stretch.

I'm noting down what's left for everyone to see, but mainly for me to organise things.

MAP10 @A.H. Sankhatayan - Waiting new version
MAP15 @eLeR Creative - Waiting new & fixes 
MAP16 @Thelokk - Waiting first version
MAP17 @DFF - Waiting first version

MAP24 @Rymante - Waiting first version

MAP26 @NeedHealth - Waiting first version

MAP28 @Spectre01 - Waiting final
MAP29 @A.H. Sankhatayan - Waiting new version

MAP31 @xScavengerWolfx - Waiting first version

The one that's left is @nue's map. As there's no online activity for two weeks or so, I'm not freeing the slot for three more days.

After that I'll handle the map my self. @nue if the slot is taken when u read this do send your map. I won't mind returning the slot back to you.

@Ofisil I should be able to have it done by this weekend or the start of next week. I've been pacing myself so i don't get totally burnt out. But yes i'm still working on it.

6 minutes ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

. I've been pacing myself so i don't get totally burnt out.

Same here actually.

Should have a wip by the weekend, but I do have a question / suggestion request.

I'm map16, the first of the 'hard' maps where revs/barons and the BFG can be used. But, should I? BFG in particular. Maybe a map16 is still a bit too early? Maybe just put one in the open on HMP and below, and as a secret in UV? Just want to make sure I don't let all the big 'guns' (monster and player) loose too early on just because I can, if that makes any sense. Thoughts?

Because the rules for this mapset mandated that there be a bfg in map16, i would have put it in a secret that is visible to the player at some point. That is how I would solve this, tell the player that here is a new weapond - figure out how to access it.

Edited by NeedHealth

1 hour ago, NeedHealth said:

Because the rules for this mapset mandated that there be a bfg in map16, i would have put it in a secret that is visible to the player at some point. That is how I would solve this, tell the player that here is a new weapond - figure out how to access it.

Thanks for the tips! In the end I figured I might go for a middle ground and make the BFG a secret for UV and a bit more in the open for HMP and below. 

2 hours ago, Thelokk said:

Thanks for the tips! In the end I figured I might go for a middle ground and make the BFG a secret for UV and a bit more in the open for HMP and below. 

I think this is a good Idea to have it that Way in Map 16.

I put one in mine (Map20) as a not to hard hidden Secret after the Fight against the Cyber Demon, to give the Players a Chance to have the next Fight easier.

But from those Videos i've seen, many skipped it because they went the Shortcut i offered after the Fight in that Area :P

Normally it is easy to see that a new Room has opened.

So, Lazyness keeps them Away from the BFG.

@Thelokk actually, I think they way I've written down 'add BFG' makes it look like you are SUPPOSED to add it.

No it just means that from now on (from this chapter) you CAN have the BFG.

In other words, you simply can avoid the BFG altogether :)

It's still a work in progress for now but there's what i have (i removed the 3072 x 3072 after i made it within the lines) i know it looks like a mess but the theme i was going for was a cavern/cave with a hint of hellish/fleshy taking over.

As far as the survival part goes i might do like Plutoina Map 11 style of survival (i don't want just arch-viles in the map). So i should have a first version/playable work in progress by this weekend.

I've been grinding on this for a while, i don't mind it's just i do take breaks because well i'm a human... well more of a half human half wolf hybrid but i digress. 

Anyways there the map layout of what i have so far.

And yes i have my signature in there because why not.

Trapped inside madness.jpg

Layout and basic positioning are mostly done, will work on lighting / some decoration / gameplay in the next couple of days. If nothing is majorly broken I'll whip together a wad for testing. 

While we're at it, very very newbie question. In the file creation screen under 'level name' I have created the map as a MAP01, since it's going to be MAP16 in the megawad should have I created it as a MAP16 from the start? or is that something that is taken care of in the megawad assembling stage?

themegawad1.jpg.15719de899576a2e2ea8f8d8830d6a12.jpg

28 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

Layout and basic positioning are mostly done, will work on lighting / some decoration / gameplay in the next couple of days. If nothing is majorly broken I'll whip together a wad for testing. 

While we're at it, very very newbie question. In the file creation screen under 'level name' I have created the map as a MAP01, since it's going to be MAP16 in the megawad should have I created it as a MAP16 from the start? or is that something that is taken care of in the megawad assembling stage?

themegawad1.jpg.15719de899576a2e2ea8f8d8830d6a12.jpg

It can be taken care of afterwards, with a variety of ways, so don't stress it.

So, had a few spare hours and went for a little push. Anyone feels like giving this wip a spin? (slot 16, theme: underground rocky techbase, can introduce BoH/revs/BGF):

Skunkworks.wad

UV and HMP for now, my feeling is that generally the map is a bit on the easy side (especially considering today's piranha crowd) and ammo a bit too tight in places. First time I map for continuous play so I assumed players would come from the previous map with only a handful of resources. Tested in ZDoom (sorry I'm too stupid for other ports).

1 hour ago, Thelokk said:

So, had a few spare hours and went for a little push. Anyone feels like giving this wip a spin? (slot 16, theme: underground rocky techbase, can introduce BoH/revs/BGF):

Skunkworks.wad

UV and HMP for now, my feeling is that generally the map is a bit on the easy side (especially considering today's piranha crowd) and ammo a bit too tight in places. First time I map for continuous play so I assumed players would come from the previous map with only a handful of resources. Tested in ZDoom (sorry I'm too stupid for other ports).

First the big problem:

You missed the most important rule. Standard Doom II format-only, no UMDF or otherwise. So you have to rework pretty much all actions, and the way the three-key door activates.

Next, some quick tips:

DIfficulty-wise lower the difficulty of the "welcoming commitee. Delete one or two hitscanners, and replace some pinkies with imps.

In terms of detailing, add a bit more "tech-y" stuff on the rocky areas.

...But, yeah, first start with the format thing, and then you can start doing some polishing.

A tip I can give to try to cut down on corridors that only serves as a transportation route. If you need a corridor there are many ways to spice it up, the cheating way being a view through a window to the outside world. You can have a view to an other area or an alternative way to enter said area.

Edited by NeedHealth

2 hours ago, Ofisil said:

First the big problem:

You missed the most important rule. Standard Doom II format-only, no UMDF or otherwise. So you have to rework pretty much all actions, and the way the three-key door activates.

Next, some quick tips:

DIfficulty-wise lower the difficulty of the "welcoming commitee. Delete one or two hitscanners, and replace some pinkies with imps.

In terms of detailing, add a bit more "tech-y" stuff on the rocky areas.

...But, yeah, first start with the format thing, and then you can start doing some polishing.

Hopefully won't need a third time to be a charm, format wise:

skunkworks.wad

Also cut down on some enemies and re-landscaped a bit. 

I play it and there are some issues i have with it.

1. The opening where you fall down is neat and all but the chain gunners are a pain in the ass to deal with on the tops of the rocks.

2. The red key door is kinda thick, i mean i've made thick doors my first time around but the texture was kinda off (don't worry i'll get to the textures). Also the drop down into the final room threw me off.

3 The textures especially where the lift is for the red key card is at, threw me off because i thought it was apart of the wall, might have to re texture that to make it look like a lift.

4. (had to open it in the editor to show what i'm talking about): The area where you get the soul sphere i couldn't get out, now i don't know if that was a secret or not. If it's a secret then needs to be label as one.

5. Need to add more tech-ish rooms and cut down on the rocky stuff. What i mean is make it look like the tech and nature are amending together. Like a tech base  inside a cave or a cavern leading into a underground tech base.

6. Need more ammo and health not too much but enough to where the player doesn't have to bear knuckle a hell knight without dying...a lot lol.

Overall: I understand you're new to mapping, i'm still new as well but don't let my criticism make you upset and dis hearted you from mapping. Here's a tip from what i've learn: Listen to the criticism and learn from them.

If you want an example check out my map for map03. Might have to either download the beta or search through the posts to find it. Trust me if you rush it, it will be bad , but if you take your time it will turn out great.

Edit: If need be (since i got secret map i'm doing at the moment) if it's ok with Ofisil i could help with touch up and layout. But IF it's ok with ofisil.

Screenshot_LI.jpg

3 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

I play it and there are some issues i have with it.

1. The opening where you fall down is neat and all but the chain gunners are a pain in the ass to deal with on the tops of the rocks.

2. The red key door is kinda thick, i mean i've made thick doors my first time around but the texture was kinda off (don't worry i'll get to the textures). Also the drop down into the final room threw me off.

3 The textures especially where the lift is for the red key card is at, threw me off because i thought it was apart of the wall, might have to re texture that to make it look like a lift.

4. (had to open it in the editor to show what i'm talking about): The area where you get the soul sphere i couldn't get out, now i don't know if that was a secret or not. If it's a secret then needs to be label as one.

5. Need to add more tech-ish rooms and cut down on the rocky stuff. What i mean is make it look like the tech and nature are amending together. Like a tech base  inside a cave or a cavern leading into a underground tech base.

6. Need more ammo and health not too much but enough to where the player doesn't have to bear knuckle a hell knight without dying...a lot lol.

Overall: I understand you're new to mapping, i'm still new as well but don't let my criticism make you upset and dis hearted you from mapping. Here's a tip from what i've learn: Listen to the criticism and learn from them.

If you want an example check out my map for map03. Might have to either download the beta or search through the posts to find it. Trust me if you rush it, it will be bad , but if you take your time it will turn out great.

Edit: If need be (since i got secret map i'm doing at the moment) if it's ok with Ofisil i could help with touch up and layout. But IF it's ok with ofisil.

Screenshot_LI.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

1. Didn't have much trouble with the chaingunner personally, but suppose I can lower the ledges a bit.

2. The door is thick by design, the texture I'll fix thanks for catching that.

3. The lift is disguised by design.

4. Weird, in my playthroughs the sphere's platform registered as a secret no problem. The wall you circled in the pic lowered on use without a problem for me, not sure what might be wrong.

5. Noted.

6. Similarly, noted, though personally I managed with some minor infighting. 

Again, thanks for the feedback, I was asked for a wip and that's what I provided. Map had no pretense to be final. Will get to all in due time!

Would prefer to fix the issues myself so I might learn the process. 

6 hours ago, Thelokk said:

Hopefully won't need a third time to be a charm, format wise:

skunkworks.wad

Also cut down on some enemies and re-landscaped a bit. 

First off, I think the theme is hit really well. It might need a bit more detailling and texture work.

I also like how u have to look around a bit for ammo or you will run out. Some of the rooms feel a bit pointless, you don't get anything in there except a few monsters. Maybe add another key plus door or another gun , so those rooms feel like they have some kind of purpose and the player doesn't go in there to just kill monsters without getting anything. Also im not a big fan of disguising mandatory things like the lift to the red key. Other than that, nice first version :)

But there are some technical issues I ran into (I tested the map on GlBoom-plus): 

Most of the lines with actions on it are not tagged ,which leads to a lot of problems with especially lifts. Not getting out of the secret room is one of those. The lift in the red key room is another oneand the exit door. Make sure to tag line and sector you want to lower with the same number. 

11 minutes ago, Titanoxus said:

First off, I think the theme is hit really well. It might need a bit more detailling and texture work.

I also like how u have to look around a bit for ammo or you will run out. Some of the rooms feel a bit pointless, you don't get anything in there except a few monsters. Maybe add another key plus door or another gun , so those rooms feel like they have some kind of purpose and the player doesn't go in there to just kill monsters without getting anything. Also im not a big fan of disguising mandatory things like the lift to the red key. Other than that, nice first version :)

But there are some technical issues I ran into (I tested the map on GlBoom-plus): 

Most of the lines with actions on it are not tagged ,which leads to a lot of problems with especially lifts. Not getting out of the secret room is one of those. The lift in the red key room is another oneand the exit door. Make sure to tag line and sector you want to lower with the same number. 

Thanks for the feedback, will test on other ports to see if I run into those problems as well and solve them!

4 hours ago, Thelokk said:

Would prefer to fix the issues myself so I might learn the process. 

That's what i did first time around

So quick question about the survival part on Map31. Would it be ok if i added spider mastermind and cyber demon? Or is that overkill? I'm asking because i'm doing monster placements at the moment and i didn't want to over do it with the monster count.

I should have the first version up by later tonight (my time zone) or tomorrow night.

5 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

So quick question about the survival part on Map31. Would it be ok if i added spider mastermind and cyber demon? Or is that overkill? I'm asking because i'm doing monster placements at the moment and i didn't want to over do it with the monster count.

I should have the first version up by later tonight (my time zone) or tomorrow night.

It's up to you really.

As always, the big question you have to ask yourself is this: Is It Fun?

Alright i finally have the first draft of the map made and i play tested to make sure everything was working. Please note this is still a work in progress so if there's any bugs or i need to change something let me know.

This is under Map31 (secret map and yes it leads to map32)

Map is called Trapped inside madness (working title)

It's a survival with little ammo and health (that might change health wise)

The music is from Doom 1 They're going to get you, it works at least to me

On HMP there's 160 and UV 170.

Disclaimer: You might want to use the IDKFA cheat just like if you found the secret exit in map 15 of Doom 2. I only say that because it's survival and i was very strict about the ammo and health, again the health might change.

So have fun and let me know what y'all think. I'm going to take a break from working on it until i get enough feed back to make changes, like i did with map03.

Also if there's going to be custom texts that lead to the map i do have two things for it again if there's going to be.

The first one is this: "Congrats for finding the secret level. I hope you brought "plenty" of ammo, because your going to need it. Since you're now trapped inside madness. Good luck".

The second one is this: "After going through the portal (or hitting the switch) you find yourself inside a cavern that reeks of rotting flesh and strong smell of blood. You can hear them laughing beyond the darkness and calling your name with a taunting sound. With your arsenal in hand, you take a deep breath and start moving because you are now trapped inside madness". 

After people play tested this and gave feed back i will rework/fix the issues. I had fun making this even though it feels kinda plutonina eqse but the theme was survival so i delivered.

Trapped inside Madness.zip

Edited by xScavengerWolfx : Can't english right lol