Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sefus

Why do people despise the texture filtering in Gzdoom?

I didn't even know texture filtering was a thing in Gzdoom, since it's already set automatically, i never noticed it, i don't get what the whole appeal of making doom look like how it exactly looked like in the 90s is, maybe rose tinted nostalgia goggles? Sure, not having texture filtering does give doom its crispy charm, it all comes down to personal preference, I'm just saying, don't be elitist. 

The thing about texture filtering is that it looks more muddy than when you turn it off, I'm new to Doom in general and I agree that it looks worse with texture filtering on. But if you like to play with it on...      just play with it on

It makes everything look artificially smoothed in a way that I just don't like, if it works for others then cool.

I just think it looks butt-ugly with low-res textures. It's fine with textures that are of higher resolutions and aren't meant to look pixelated, but for Doom? nah, it's all blurry and weird.

I do think people tend to dunk on bilinear filtering a bit too much, though. Back in the Quake / N64 days, it was fantastic! It's like those weird pixelated games weren't pixelated anymore. It's just that it didn't age well at all.

It indeed comes down to personal preference. But here's why I personally won't ever use that feature:

Doom was designed to look good in a low resolution and with pixelated textures. Because of the low level of geometry detail, it relies on that "crispiness" to avoid looking flat and boring. This is exacerbated by the fact that the extremely low resolution of the textures means that applying (bi/tri)linear filtering on them makes them look extremely blurry. It also makes hard barriers between textures look much more jarring in contrast. When a game is made with this sort of filtering in mind, they will take steps to mitigate issues like this.

IMO the bigger problems with a lot of early OpenGL ports was the lack of fake contrast, lack of depth lighting, and sprites being clipped into the floor by default, but it looks like a lot of progress has been made since then.

14 minutes ago, Orchid87 said:

People who think that filtered low res textures are acceptable probably grew up with n64.

thing is many n64 games look good with filtering on because the textures were made with the blur in mind

doom 64 looks kinda weird without the filtering and thats probaly why they remade all the textures for it but doom 1 and 2 looks like trash with it feels like everything is a just a badly upscaled png

off topic but why does so many ports have filtering on by default? does graf zhal think it looks good or its just because it is "technically an improvement"

same with glboom why does it have as default?

19 minutes ago, Orchid87 said:

People who think that filtered low res textures are acceptable probably grew up with n64.

Not even that, since N64 filtering doesn't look like the butt-fugly, blurry mess of PC when used on pixel graphics. Doom 64's bilinear filter on the N64 made it look amazing, though it was made specifically for the game, it can't compare with what PCs do in comparison.

I turn texture filtering off in Quake engine games as well, as I find it horrible there too. GoldSrc games are some of the only old titles where I find texture filtering nice.

Because I like my Doom all nice and Crispy! In general, I prefer sprites to 3D models, I find them to be generally more readable and appealing. 'Realism' has never been much of a concern to me, so a high degree of stylization is desirable, and 2D excels in this regard.

Texture filtering just makes everything look muddy, like some 3D abomination from the late '90s or early '00s, but without any of the advantages.

I had a friend who worked on N64 games. The system was short on texture space, but it did have texture filtering. So the artists deliberately created lower resolution textures that would look good blurred.

because it looks like actual vomit. the textures were meant to look good while being pixelated, the filtering fucks that up completely

32 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

off topic but why does so many ports have filtering on by default? does graf zhal think it looks good or its just because it is "technically an improvement"

same with glboom why does it have as default?

graf is unfortunately one of the 5 people on this entire planet who genuinely think it looks good

3 minutes ago, roadworx said:

graf is unfortunately one of the 5 people on this entire planet who genuinely think it looks good

One out of 4*. I used to be one out of the 5 not too long back :3

1 minute ago, roadworx said:

because it looks like actual vomit. the textures were meant to be pixelated, the filtering fucks that up completely

really?

this all for me feels like when every game had bloom everywere because it was new or whenevery game had either a butt ugly brown filter for "realism" or a butt ugly grey filter for "emotions"

i dont want to play need for speed while feeling depressed because some dev though grey filter is what an arcade racer needed

sorry just a small rant i hate things like that at least in doom i can turn it off

For me, the problem is that taller monsters appear with the head "cropped" in places with lower ceiling. I mean, the texture filtering itself is not so bad, but I don't use it because of this effect.

Edited by SilentD00mer

Is it even possible for such an inconsequential, subjective and petty thing to be given such a dramatic label as "elitist?" If you like Doom to look like bacon grease on a plastic sheet, that's your prerogative. Play the game how you want to play it, but don't bemoan people who don't play it the same as you.

1 hour ago, sefus said:

I didn't even know texture filtering was a thing in Gzdoom, since it's already set automatically, i never noticed it, i don't get what the whole appeal of making doom look like how it exactly looked like in the 90s is, maybe rose tinted nostalgia goggles? Sure, not having texture filtering does give doom its crispy charm, it all comes down to personal preference, I'm just saying, don't be elitist. 

Don't wear modern-tinted techno goggles either. Doom textures look nice when crispy and bad with filters on, it doesn't have anything to do with being stuck in the past.

FYI filters also existed in the 90s.

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

Because it looks fucking ugly, that's why. I understand the theory behind it supposedly smoothing out the pixels, and it can work with other games, but honestly it really just doesn't work on Doom's low-res pixel artwork as far as a lot of us are concerned. It just makes everything look all blurry and gooey. Just take a gander at this zombieman here. The poor bastard looks like a fucking gummybear!

Hdv1jxX.png

this. it's obvious. i prefer the more pixelated, but crispy look over the overly smoothed, n64-like. as @BoxY said, it's like walking without glasses on when you should wear them.

it's like roleplaying as a far-sighted doomguy 

it's fine if you like it but i'm sure that it's obvious as to why most people dislike it

I usually enable xBRZ upscaler in GZDoom so textures aren't that blurry with bilinear filtering.

I turn it off in EVERY game that has it, and hate it when its forced on. I even download mods to remove it in some games, like the Steam releases of Final Fantasy 5 and 6.

I just cant tolerate smudgy things in my games and I laugh at the fact some people actually like things smudged into a blurry undistinct mess, like that zombieman example above.

1 minute ago, Dragonfly said:
  Hide contents

How many opinion threads per day are we going to reach?

9ddad582b519652c22665df5db90ede2.png

we're going for a world record

I turn off Texture filtering in early-mid 90's games. I even turn it off in case of Doom 64 (whether EX or the Retribution TC). The oldest game where I have it turned on is Quake 2 (even then it is a give and take for me).

Unreal is probably the oldest game where I vastly prefer texture filtering over the unfiltered textures.