Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

Discussion On "Opinion Threads"

Ah dang it. I was just thinking about making a thread named "What is your opinion on the opinion threads?"

Just now, ReaperAA said:

Ah dang it. I was just thinking about making a thread named "What is your opinion on the opinion threads?"

I wonder how many more people are thinking about this. Get ready for the thread storm. :D

I have been wondering what's been going on with DW. It's embarrassing and upsetting - some recent newcomers have already had a tough time, being harassed for presenting a topic that was brought up before; some said they won't make another post ever again. Generally, there's been some heat around here and I am not liking it.

The "Your opinion of" threads are a new evolution of the "What if Doom was..." threads we used to have several years ago on these forums. At least those offered SOME form of discussion in that they allowed for more critical thinking. The opinion on (insert certain doom thing here) threads just make you want to ask if the new users have searched their answer or not.

- There could be some kind of 'rules & guidelines' page presented on new user registration that covers this point

- Major Arlene's 'new doomer's etiquette guide' could be generalised to cover this point too

- Moderation team could lock duplicate threads (might be more effort than it's worth unless DW gets more moderators)

Ultimately, I think some good ideas can come to reduce the number of these threads, but I do think 'giving less of a shit' is part of the solution too, because they will still come regardless.

1 minute ago, Horus said:

Ultimately, I think some good ideas can come to reduce the number of these threads, but I do think 'giving less of a shit' is part of the solution too, because they will still come regardless.

Absolutely. I do agree entirely, a bit of push and pull both sides. It would be good to encourage new users in a somewhat official way not to make threads that we've seen time and time again; and it'd be good for us regulars to learn to care less. From my own perspective though, it's becoming harder and harder to ignore said threads because of the rapidly increasing quantity of them.

I don't know what to say personally about how to make them appear less, but I can say what I feel about them, and that is, they're weird, like the one about Wraith Corp Megawads is ok to ask it because they are barely talked about and I didn't even know about them, but sometimes they are done to ask something that seems to be about like "Do you consider freelook a cheat?" or "Do you think that I should play with walking over/below monsters is a cheat?" look as though they're trying to know how to be like everybody else, to feel accepted by the community, what about the Brutal Doom one in the photo, in less than 24 hours it had 5 pages of replies, right now as I'm writing this someone posted about "Why is everybody so negative about park invaders" (his own map). I think a lot of new players see some purists/elitist (not saying all purist are elitist) and are  trying to see if that's the community as a whole.