Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Sprites or models?

Sprites. Skins and graphic replacing is much easier this way.

That and although the models for zdoomgl, doom3d, jdoom are well modeled they walk funny. In the sprites there seemed to be more energy and movement going into the monsters\characters.

Sprites. The models aren't intrinsically bad, they just don't fit in with Doom's style to me. It's quite a subtle point, when the concensus is that: polygons = better. If Doom looked had the look of a game that would use polygons, I'd use 'em, but to me it doesn't.

Plus, I expect more from a model - I look at those models and think, "Christ these looks dated" more than I do with the sprites. No matter how many gfx effects any port gets, Doom will still look like Doom. The game is designed for big blocky architecture - the nodebuilders fuck up with too much small-scale detail and most editors don't even zoom in that far - and therefore Doom will always look very dated and unrealistic. But you expect this, so it's ok. The crappy graphics (in any port) don't bother me and it can still have a load of atmosphere which is the most important thing.

Sprites all the way. Technically, I'm a Mac user, so I've never even gotten the chance to try out JDoom, but from the screenshots I've seen and from experience playing other games that use 3D models, I prefer the sprites. They just look more.... doomy.

yes use sprites unless you're some lamer like kat who has to use models and high-res textures or else you freak out and destroy your own television

Sprites all the way! Doom came out with sprites, and I think it should be kept that way. If you want to play with models, find another game. I like the names of them too, enough to name my computer Barr1a0.

i prefer sprites, because the models actually have standing frames. i want my monsters to dance, damnit.

Hadeumdi said:

Sprites all the way! Doom came out with sprites, and I think it should be kept that way. If you want to play with models, find another game. I like the names of them too, enough to name my computer Barr1a0.

That's incorrectly spelled. It'S BAR1A0! ;-)

I like them both, and although I really like most of the models (the Cacodemon is, IMO, perfectly executed, which was something I was apprehensive about) I think I prefer the old sprites. I kinda switch off between the two randomly.