Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexiMax

Odamex 10.4.0 - Quakecon 2023 Edition!

On 3/19/2021 at 8:40 AM, Commodore Forever! said:

Heh, good due diligence, though I somewhat predicted that would happen. :V

I was making a joke at the expense of Zdaemon. I work with AlexMax so if I needed the source code I'd just have asked her directly.

Edited by Edward850

Odamex's multiplatform presence remains a unique point of interest from a official stance. That and the general sense of direction makes Odamex a more forward looking multiplayer port with its own merits.

6 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

I was making a joke at the expense of Zdaemon.

ZD is quite literally the other side of the coin indeed. It has some very impressive works though given what they work with, some utilizing the port's more novel features.

Binding a key to "look down" doesn't work, because it doesn't recognize the corresponding command. Also, when the ENDOOM screen is enabled, the screen sticks to the last thing it was showing while the ENDOOM screen opens in the background, and pressing any key only lets you see the latter for a split second.

Hope I don't sound too negative here, it's just easier to say what's being done wrong than what's being done right, but the vast majority of things in this port are clearly being done right.

1 hour ago, SiFi270 said:

Binding a key to "look down" doesn't work, because it doesn't recognize the corresponding command.

I just noticed this issue, and I just fixed it through this pull request. It was an error I caused it when I quickly updated the Actionbits code. Thanks for reporting the issue!

In-game WAD downloading? It feels like this is something Skulltag/Zandronum wanted to do in the past but never did, at least from. Really happy to see a relatively highly faithful client/server based port come so far over the years while taking in some nice amenities we've enjoyed in the other ones.

Damn, about time to see survival finally make it's debut. Excellent work on active port development!

5 hours ago, Ru5tK1ng said:

Nothing wrong with having mirrors. If anything is silly, it's your nitpicking.

The permalink has binaries, source code, and redirects to diff tools to compare code of different versions.

15 hours ago, Gregory Stephens said:

In-game WAD downloading? It feels like this is something Skulltag/Zandronum wanted to do in the past but never did, at least from. Really happy to see a relatively highly faithful client/server based port come so far over the years while taking in some nice amenities we've enjoyed in the other ones.

Fun fact - it has actually been a feature in Odamex for many years, but it suffered from implementation issues.  It's been improved now using a proper method for retrieving the files.

We have been aware of an issue where some people were unable to compile Odamex on Linux, "miniwget.h could not be found" during compilation being often reported. If that is the case, we recommend you to update CMake to version 3.13 as the bare minimum and regenerate the project.

We are planning to increase the CMake's minimum version, for the future. Apparently, only Ubuntu users seem to be affected by that issue.

To update CMake, you have several solutions:

- Add Kitware's APT repository

- Update it through Python

- Compile it yourself.

Also, another element, for servermakers:

If you plan to create a server and add the game_duel command, do add the following afterwards:

set sv_warmup_autostart "1.0"

A fix is in the works.

Edited by Ch0wW

On 3/18/2021 at 8:46 PM, AlexMax said:

Who needs a WAD downloader in a server browser when you can seek WAD files directly from your client? New to 0.9 is a WAD downloading system that searches a collection of popular WAD hosting services and grabs the WAD file much faster than the old server-based downloader ever managed, with none of the extra server processing required.

Well, the server browser does it much better (at least for now) - i know such one :)

First, it searches not only .wad but .zip too - and many doom archives store wads in zip (idgames for example)

Second, it can search and download several wads simultaneously - that is, many times faster than a sequential search

Also, it was not good idea to remove wad download from server - sometimes user could start server with his own wad not caring about uploading it to public servers

8 hours ago, bond said:

Well, the server browser does it much better (at least for now) - i know such one :) 

Sorry, that was my copy, and I think I should've worded that better.  It was actually meant squarely as a poke at our own Odalaunch, which never had such a feature in the first place.   Because...

...you are correct, our downloader currently does not unzip archives.  It also does nothing like the multi-threaded Wadseeker.  However, during development I actually realized that for most of the active servers that are running, there are enough hosts that serve plain WAD files that things worked out okay.  ZIP archive support is a definitely a future TODO, though, and the ingame WAD downloader is much better than what we had before.  Speaking of...

8 hours ago, bond said:

Also, it was not good idea to remove wad download from server - sometimes user could start server with his own wad not caring about uploading it to public servers 

I wrestled with if I should keep the functionality or not, and I finally decided against.  The feature was slow and sometimes dropped transfers.  Plus, a good number of servers actually disabled the old downloading feature outright lest it slow down their server.  Even in retail games that had the feature, it was never particularly fast, and I finally decided that odasrv was designed for playing Doom, not serving files, so I got rid of it.  In the long term, the TSPG experience of having someone else host your server complete with WAD is much easier to figure out for newer players than self-hosting.

That said, there are traces of the feature still left in the port, and I am open to returning it to functionality if there's enough support for it.

Edited by AlexMax : Rearranged my points to be less scattered.

3 hours ago, bond said:

2 hours ago, AlexMax said:

I wrestled with if I should keep the functionality or not, and I finally decided against.  Even in retail games that had the feature, it was never particularly fast, and I finally decided that odasrv was designed for playing Doom, not serving files.  I also think that the TSPG experience of having someone else host your server complete with WAD is much easier to figure out than self-hosting, and a good number of servers actually disabled the feature outright lest it slow down their server.

That said, there are traces of the feature still left in the port, and I am open to returning it to functionality if there's enough support for it.

To add, I too have tried to wrestle with UDP file transfers in a retail environment. It's absolutely not worth it and people should stop trying to reinvent this. Just chuck in an HTTPS downloader or whatever other service you have available and call it a day.

On 3/29/2021 at 2:22 AM, Doomkid said:

IDK how I missed this.. 5 stars!

I double that!

*whips out his switch*

Hey guys, just want to report that this version of Odamex seems to no longer support sprite renaming via DeHackEd, even though older versions did. I hope this is fixed some time soon, it basically destroys compatibility with 80% of the stuff I've made!

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Hey guys, just want to report that this version of Odamex seems to no longer support sprite renaming via DeHackEd, even though older versions did. I hope this is fixed some time soon, it basically destroys compatibility with 80% of the stuff I've made! 

I tested Rowdy Rudy 2 in this version, in this wad are sprites renamed, or not?

The problem that I've seen is that this release have serious problems of compatibility with wads that contains a mapinfo lump

That's right, the sprites are renamed in Rowdy Rudy 2. I just tested it out and it still shows the default pistol graphic (among other really weird side effects)

8 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

That's right, the sprites are renamed in Rowdy Rudy 2. I just tested it out and it still shows the default pistol graphic (among other really weird side effects)

I just tested it again and I see those beautiful graphics

Captura de Pantalla 2021-04-23 a la(s) 11.40.06.png

In the future, it would be really nice if these bugs could end up on the Odamex issue tracker on GitHub.

3 hours ago, toxic.rat said:

The problem that I've seen is that this release have serious problems of compatibility with wads that contains a mapinfo lump

Yeah, I know that our MAPINFO parsing could use some work.  In 0.8.3 Odamex blew past unknown tokens which resulted in considerable breakage - if a map worked, it was often by complete accident.  I reworked the parser for 0.9.0 to accommodate brace-style MAPINFO, but apparently whatever I did to fix it went too far in the other direction of being irritated with any type of token it didn't already know about.

There is a MAPINFO Pull Request in the hopper that might make things better, along with adding support for UMAPINFO.  I also just committed a fix destined for 0.9.1 that should fix Going Down.  So yeah, fixing up MAPINFO is of active interest to us, and if you see a WAD that doesn't work because of MAPINFO, let us know (preferably in a bug) and we'll get it taken care of.

I played through the first 3 maps of Rowdy Rudy 2 on the newest build I have and also idkfa'd and all the new monsters and weapons seemed to be working as expected. Flamethrower marines are still such a great idea @Doomkid

Thanks Ralphis! Hmm, since everyone else is reporting that’s it’s working fine, there must be something wrong on my end... I’ll try wiping my .cfg file and reinstalling Odamex.