Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexiMax

Odamex 10.4.0 - Quakecon 2023 Edition!

1 hour ago, Frost-Core said:

Please help, i am really new to odamex as my first time trying it was on linux, but on windows it splashes this error.

• What kind of graphics card do you have, and are your drivers installed and up to date?

EDIT:

• Did you install from the installer, or from the portable ZIP files?
    • If the installer, did you install globally or locally?
    • If the ZIP file, did you install 32 or 64 bit?

Just now, AlexMax said:

• What kind of graphics card do you have, and are your drivers installed and up to date?

EDIT:

• Did you install from the installer, or from the portable ZIP files?
    • If the installer, did you install globally or locally?
    • If the ZIP file, did you install 32 or 64 bit?

I have a fairly old pc, GMA 3600 graphics card, (no longer receiving updates), and 32bit zip.

25 minutes ago, Frost-Core said:

I have a fairly old pc, GMA 3600 graphics card, (no longer receiving updates), and 32bit zip.

You're not the first person to report that bug.  The error is coming from a software YUV implementation within SDL 2 not knowing WTF to do with such an old graphics card.

That said, that error message never sat right with me.  To my knowledge, we don't use YUV overlays at all - to my understanding they're normally used for FMV.  Why does SDL need them?  Can they be disabled?  Maybe there is another codepath that could work for you?  I'll mull on this and see if I can cook up something.

In the meantime, I would recommend joining our Discord, so if one of the developers does get an idea, there can be an instantaneous back and forth with a "Okay, does this work?  How about this?  How about this?"  We even have a special group specifically for testing volunteers who can sometimes get access to test versions of Odamex.

On 2/15/2022 at 7:42 AM, Gez said:

But why not 1.0.0 then?

But this one goes to TEN!

Maybe it's best if I post this here instead of creating a thread.

I'm currently having an issue when compiling Odamex in Linux (from the source download listed in the website), more specifically Zorin OS (Based on Ubuntu). I'd normally install from here, but the Odamex version there it's outdated (It's 0.9.5)

Now, to the problem itself, when running cmake, an error message appears saying that the library Curl isn't installed, when I type "sudo apt-get install curl" this shows up.

curl ya está en su versión más reciente (7.68.0-1ubuntu2.11).
Translation: curl is already on it's most recent version (7.68.0-1ubuntu2.11).

Now, when I type "sudo apt-get install libcurl" I get this

libcurl3-gnutls       libcurl4              libcurl4-gnutls-dev   libcurl4-openssl-dev  libcurl-ocaml-dev     libcurlpp-dev         
libcurl3-nss          libcurl4-doc          libcurl4-nss-dev      libcurl-ocaml         libcurlpp0

Which libs should I install to compile? All of them? A specific one?

Thanks a lot in advance, if you need more info please tell me so :-)

Edit: Here's the error message it shows up

-- Configuring done
CMake Error at client/CMakeLists.txt:162 (add_executable):
  Target "odamex" links to target "CURL::libcurl" but the target was not
  found.  Perhaps a find_package() call is missing for an IMPORTED target, or
  an ALIAS target is missing?

CMake Error at client/CMakeLists.txt:162 (add_executable):
  Target "odamex" links to target "CURL::libcurl" but the target was not
  found.  Perhaps a find_package() call is missing for an IMPORTED target, or
  an ALIAS target is missing?

Edited by Lol 6

I know the tracker is where bugs belong, but this bug is... So weird and specific, that I have no idea how I'd even go about reporting it. I feel like a forum post where I can bloviate the steps a bit will make the issue clearer.

I'm experiencing a bug where as I'm running around in a specific deathmatch map, I'm getting continually gibbed for no obvious reason.

Here's how to see the bug in question:

- Connect to grandpachuck.org:10670

- Warp to dk_dm_pack.wad map25 (map 131 in the overall list)

- There's a lift with a Blue Armor on top. Ride the lift up to the top

- There's a path dotted with health bonuses and armor bonuses, follow it to the teleporter with the lion face

- This leads to a BFG. Step backwards off the BFG platform, and press the switch behind you that briefly opens up

- Running around in the central courtyard area (between the SSGs and RLs on skinny lifts) will now make you explode at random

No idea what on Earth could be causing such a strange glitch. Furthermore, as I kept typing "restart" to get the map back to normal, I noticed the blinking and strobing effects on the lights were playing twice as fast.

Sorry for how weird and specific this one is..

On 5/26/2022 at 7:53 PM, Doomkid said:

I know the tracker is where bugs belong, but this bug is... So weird and specific, that I have no idea how I'd even go about reporting it. I feel like a forum post where I can bloviate the steps a bit will make the issue clearer.

I'm experiencing a bug where as I'm running around in a specific deathmatch map, I'm getting continually gibbed for no obvious reason.

Here's how to see the bug in question:

- Connect to grandpachuck.org:10670

- Warp to dk_dm_pack.wad map25 (map 131 in the overall list)

- There's a lift with a Blue Armor on top. Ride the lift up to the top

- There's a path dotted with health bonuses and armor bonuses, follow it to the teleporter with the lion face

- This leads to a BFG. Step backwards off the BFG platform, and press the switch behind you that briefly opens up

- Running around in the central courtyard area (between the SSGs and RLs on skinny lifts) will now make you explode at random

No idea what on Earth could be causing such a strange glitch. Furthermore, as I kept typing "restart" to get the map back to normal, I noticed the blinking and strobing effects on the lights were playing twice as fast.

Sorry for how weird and specific this one is..

Hey, sorry. Just saw this. Yes, this is an insane bug but I believe it was fixed. This showed up here: https://github.com/odamex/odamex/issues/662. For Odamex 10, the map format handling code was entirely rewritten and a few inconceivable bugs showed up. A patch was submitted on May 5 and it should be fixed in the upcoming version. Thanks for the report

Exciting news!  Hellforge is running a community project for Odamex's Horde mode.  Starting on July 10th 9:00am GMT+12, there will be a two week mapping session, the results of which will go into a megawad.  So if you ever had the inkling to create a Horde mode map, or at the very least enjoy some new Horde maps, I've got your huckleberry.

And don't you worry, Odamex 10.2 is also coming soon.  Couple of bugfixes, couple of new features, you know the drill by now.

Edited by AlexMax

Odamex 10.2 has released.  Download it from Sourceforge or Github.

This is a pretty low-key release.  Inside the box, you'll find a modest assortment of new customizations for players and server admins to play with, a good number of netcode fixes, horde fixes and an assortment of other improvements.

I Am Invincible...and I can actually see!

Perhaps the most obvious new addition is a new r_softinvulneffect setting, enabled by default, which changes the invulnerability effect to the visible weapon as opposed to the entire screen.  The vanilla invulnerability effect has always been a bit of an eyesore, but now that we have spawn invulnerability what used to be an annoyance has turned migrane-inducing.

That said, the current look is not necessarily set in stone, and we plan on making further tweaks to it in the future.

Big Ol' Box Of Toys

Yep, I could really only think of a single thing that would stick out as a big headliner feature.  But in 10.2, the long tail of smaller additions and fixes is quite long indeed.  There's even a number of new faces in the commit log.

Added

• A new g_preroundreset setting which will reset the level between the pre-round countdown and the actual game.  Previously this was hard-coded for certain gametypes and not others - now you get to play with it.
  • You can now change the length of time messages appear in the obituary feed with  hud_feedtime.  This setting is also surfaced in the menu.
  • Item counts now show up in the automap.
  • A new cl_centerbobonfire setting which emulates the ZDoom 2.x behavior of centering the weapon when firing.
  • You can now remove the 20 count lost soul limit with co_removesoullimit. Offline, there is no limit, online it's limited to 128 lost souls.  Thanks, Mia!
  • Horde now respects sv_nomonsters.  Test your horde maps behavior free of monsters.
  • Boss monster projectiles now have the same palette shifts as the bosses themselves.  The projectile behavior itself is still identical...for now.  Don't give us any ideas.
  • The hordenextwave console command now respawns players.  Thanks, Mia!
  • There is a brand new "AUTOMAP" graphic in the automap options menu.  Thanks, Acts19quiz!
  • Support for the new Steam WAD file locations.

Changed

• Horde bosses now lose their "sparkles" on death.
  • All non-RGB sliders in options menu now display current value to the right.
  • con_notifytime and con_midtime now accept non-integer message timeout times.
  • Certain variations of the scoreboard surrounding round and lives logic had less-than-useful configurations, these have been improved.

Fixed

• A significant "pump fake" misprediction of online monster behavior was fixed.
  • Multiplayer vanilla demos did not play back at all, now they should work, though there are some remaining assorted issues.
  • Ultimate Doom E2M7 didn't always get detected correctly in the previous map behavior fix, now it should.
  • Online, certain trigger-once line specials were not properly cleared by the client, or improperly able to be triggered again by a newly connecting client.  Now these issues have been fixed.
  • Scrolling floors were being mispredicted in client/server by a factor of two, now they scroll properly.
  • Secrets areas were not getting cleared properly when triggered by other players - now they clear properly.
  • Online, scrollers were being inited twice when restarting the map, this has been fixed.
  • Horde bosses now trigger special lines again.
  • Horde spawns were capable of being pushed around by scrolling floors, now they stay in place.
  • Online, glowing sectors were incorrectly reinitializing when restarting the map, this has also been fixed.
  • Sector flags did not properly save to a savegame, now they do.
  • Single-activation specials were not being cleared on the client, resulting in a desync.  This has been fixed.
  • Horde monsters no longer get crunched by doors.
  • A_HealCorpse did not give resurrected monsters height, now they do.
  • judgment.wad now loads correctly.
  • WDLStats now properly count the last frag in deathmatch modes.
  • Fixed instances of doubled sounds when using A_PlaySound.

That's about it!  Before I go, I'd just like to shout out the amazing "Hordes of Odamex" project, which will be shown off during QuakeCon.  Not only are there 50 !(!) brand new arenas for the nascent gamemode, but a unique set of custom monster waves that had been developed just for this WAD.  How is this possible?  It's all thanks to the flexibility of Horde, the power of DECOHack, and the creativity of the amazing folks over at The Hellforge.

Edited by AlexMax

Odamex 10.3 has released.  Download it from Sourceforge or Github.

image.png.c0a97645381a583ffcec44dd267b68e4.png

Another minor release with some nice new features thrown in.  The most noticeable new feature is the brand new PWAD selector tab when you start Odamex.  It will search the cl_waddownloaddir and waddirs cvars, the -waddir command line parameter, and DOOMWADDIR and DOOMWADPATH environment variables for WAD files.  You can select which ones you want to play and even rearrange their load order.

Aside from that, perhaps the most noticeable fixed bug is the fact that a long-standing weapon desync caused by picking up a weapon that was not known to the client yet has been addressed.  This should virtually eliminate cases where the wrong weapon is held at the start of levels or on a reset.

That's enough of a summary.  Let's dig in!

Added

• The Odamex boot window selector now has a PWAD selector to go with it!  Thanks Mia!
  • Odamex's window will now flash if the window is not focused and you respawn.  Thanks Mia!
  • Obituaries now show up for MBF21 customized weapons and monsters.
  • Additional versions of the Unity IWADs are now noticed by Odamex.
  • Ctrl-Delete and Alt-Delete now delete words on either side of the cursor in the console.
  • Chat macros are now usable on the numeric keypad if numlock is enabled.

Changed

• A much better error message should show up if you try to join a server without the proper IWAD.  It also tells you if it found an IWAD, but was an incorrect version.
  • Odalaunch will now show all servers for the current major version only.
  • Odamex will now respond to all launcher requests for the current major version, instead of checking the major and minor version.

Fixed

• Instances where weapon pickups were triggered for weapons that were not known to the client yet, such as on level load or reset, should now no longer cause a weapon desync.
  • A crash that occurred when an actor doesn't have an associated subsector when looking for players has been fixed.
  • Latched cvars now show pending changes correctly instead of a purple square.
  • The traditional status bar was not rendering correctly in non-cooperative modes, this has been addressed.
  • A circumstance where Odamex would crash due to attempting to render level data that had been freed due to an error condition has been fixed.
  • DeHackEd monsters could not walk underneath thing bridges, now they can.
  • Line special 192's searching routine was broken when 0 was used as a search base - this is now fixed.  Thanks Mia!
  • The BIGFONT comma was way too high, now it's where a comma should be.
  • Generalized linedefs were not being flagged as switches online, now they are.
  • A few MIDI controller events weren't being passed through properly, leading to music weirdness that happened when switching between certain songs.  Thanks Ceski!
    • Fixes music in Sunlust going from Title Screen to MAP01.
    • Fixes music in Three is a Crowd warping from MAP03 to MAP10.
  • Yet more vanilla demo desyncs have been addressed - now all of Doom, Doom 2, Plutonia and TNT demos play without desyncs.
  • Using 10-key functions with numlock should now work as expected.
  • MAPINFO compatflags are now properly ignored, instead of breaking the parser.
  • Tag 666 was occasionally causing the game to crash, and Tag 667 simply didn't work at all.  Not anymore.
  • The "Server Full" message was missing a flags field, causing the client to not understand it - now it does.
  • Automap's pan speed was bigger than intended when follow mode was off, fixed.  Thanks Mia!

Odamex 10.4.0 has been released!  Download it from Github or Sourceforge.

This is a minor release with a few nice features and a lot of quality of life fixes. The client has seen a lot of updates.  First, the new client front-end has been improved with an options tab and some quality of life fixes.  Second, the client itself now sounds and looks better! Ceski has rewritten the portmidi music driver which corrected many issues with midi playback. Ceski also added ultra widescreen support up to 32:9!  Other client changes that may be noticeable are improvements to on-screen messaging in the menus and in-game HUDs.  Many tricky bugs related to MBF21 support, as well as the various MAPINFO lumps, were also corrected.

If you're at Quakecon, head to the BYOC area.  You might find a few folks to play a game or several with.

Added

• Addition of ultra widescreen support, as well as automatic aspect ratio detection. Thanks ceski!
  • Include preset colors in the player setup menu. Thanks Acts19quiz!
  • Added an options menu to the client launcher. Thanks @electricbrass!
  • Double clicking an iwad in the client launcher now launches the game. Thanks Mia!
  • Out-of-the-box improvements to Chex Quest support, including green screen tinting.
  • Add more helpful messaging to Horde and Survival Coop modes.

Changed

• Improvements to IWAD selection on the client launcher. Thanks Mia!
  • Player setup menu improvements. Thanks Acts19quiz!
  • Rewrite of the portmidi music driver by @ceski-1. Huge improvements!
  • Some server console improvements on Windows systems.
  • CI improvements for multiple platforms.
  • Minor changes to default horde waves packaged with Odamex.
  • Improved options for frames-per-second selection in the video options menu.
  • Quality of life improvements to preferred weapon order menu.
  • Allow movebob and red damage screen correction on clientside by default. Can still be controlled by server.
  • Only read a UMAPINFO file if both a UMAPINFO and MAPINFO file exist.
  • Improvements to installer.

Fixed

• Allow bypassing no-cheat rules in all skill levels offline.
  • Restore floor damage text obituaries. Thanks Mia!
  • Corrected generic text obituaries displaying backwards.
  • Removed ZMAPINFO support as it was breaking a lot of wads.
  • Fix multitrack MIDI looping on MacOS. Thanks ceski!
  • MBF21 +RIP projectiles now work as intended.
  • Custom dehacked projectiles now display in a sane way on the killfeed.
  • Fix MAPINFO token compat_invisibility from causing an error
  • MBF21 custom tracer projectiles no longer seek spectating players.
  • Fixed items desyncing between client and server on Boom/ZDoom conveyor floors.

Hi! I saw how railgun works in odamex. Is there support for grenade launcher?

Spoiler

Odamex_SOLO_20230905_220535.png.62520e5d2c19052e5ef5577728a9da0a.png