Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've never seen anything they have done until now

im half way through holy grail

and this is some funny shit

I feel bad that you've gone this far in your life without watching Monty Python. Aside from their last season, after John Cleese left, they have made some of the funniest shit that has ever existed. My Mom commented years ago that renting "Holy Grail" from the library when I was around 11 and my brother was around 14 one of the worst decisions in her life. 

It's one of the shows that really shaped my sense of humor. I didn't realize that my Dad and Uncles absolutely loved the show when they were growing up as well. Since then it's become a staple of our humor, especially the Spanish Inquisition sketch.

I'm glad you found them though, you're in a for a lifelong adventure of annoying the shit out of people.

Life of Brian is the peak. It's Monty Python at their most focused message and production value. And it absolutely provoked the strongest blowback by uptight religious figures.

3 minutes ago, dew said:

Life of Brian is the peak. It's Monty Python at their most focused message and production value. And it absolutely provoked the strongest blowback by uptight religious figures.

Yeah, but I could've gone my entire life without seeing Graham Chapman's cock, so there is that.

It's a great movie though, but I still enjoy Holy Grail more just for it's sheer absurdity in the dialogue. Although Life of Brian did have that alien segment that's still too absurd. Probably just because the rest of the movie tried to be relatively down to Earth and pointing out the absurdity of religion, so having Brian flying around in a UFO was a little too much.

I am going to keep a close eye on this thread to make sure it does not get silly. I will do my best to keep things moving along, but I am not having things getting silly!

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Murdoch said:

I am going to keep a close eye on this thread to make sure it does not get silly. I will do my best to keep things moving along, but I am not having things getting silly!

Don't you have some poor people to rob, Dennis Moore?

As an aside, I bought this as a Christmas present for myself in 2019.

https://networkonair.com/all-products/3077-monty-python-s-flying-circus-norwegian-blu-ray-edition

Totally worth it. The image quality is top shelf where momma hides the cookies, too.

(These are actual grabs I got off my Blu-Rays.)

vlcsnap-2019-11-06-19h40m51s542.png

vlcsnap-2019-11-09-00h12m54s540.png

vlcsnap-2019-12-01-11h11m40s859.png

vlcsnap-2019-12-01-19h42m16s563.png

(This last one is from a restored sketch!)

Edited by Dark Pulse

42 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Don't come the Brigadier bit with us, dear, we all know where you've been you military fairy.

21 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Don't you have some poor people to rob, Dennis Moore?

Dennis moore dennis moore is not in this bit.

Posted (edited)

For someone that only watched The Holy Grail, what should be my next step?
(I'm not into watching TV series, so I want to know what are their best movies).

30 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

(I'm not into watching TV series, so I want to know what are their best movies).

I would say The Life of Brian, and then The Meaning of Life. I mean, they're all good, but The Meaning of Life is a bit less structured, it's more a series of vignettes than a complete movie. Although I would also suggest watching And Now for Something Completely Different, which is a feature film, but it's essentially just a redone version of skits from the series. But it's still absolutely hilarious. I mean, they really only had four movies, and only three with some semblance of a plot (Holy Grail, The Life of Brian, and The Meaning of Life). Live at the Hollywood Bowl is hilarious, but it's basically a live performance of their sketch work, so you'd have to enjoy the series to enjoy it.

And I would suggest trying to watch the series, it's not quite like any other series I've ever seen. And if you watch And Now for Something Completely Different and enjoy it, then maybe you'll feel like getting into the series. I'd say watching the movie, at the very least, is worth your time.

40 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Definitely Life of Brian. Meaning of Life has it's moments but i find it more odd than funny.

Despite being British I haven’t really watched much of Monty Python (My father always claimed it was over rated so as such it was never on when I grew up). I have watched the meaning of life, which was okay. At some point I will watch life of Brian and the Holy Grail, the snippets I have seen do seem to be better than the meaning of life.

As an aside, Fawlty Towers is hilarious (Just John Cleese! And is still seen as one of the best comedy series of all time, well in the U.K. at least.

28 minutes ago, cannonball said:

As an aside, Fawlty Towers is hilarious (Just John Cleese! And is still seen as one of the best comedy series of all time, well in the U.K. at least.

Cleese is a master at playing snooty asshats. Ironically my sort of step sister (long story) met him when he came to the jewellery store she worked at in Oz and said he was an absolute class act and could not have been nicer.

42 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Cleese is a master at playing snooty asshats. Ironically my sort of step sister (long story) met him when he came to the jewellery store she worked at in Oz and said he was an absolute class act and could not have been nicer.

As long as you aren't Welsh. Ask Terry Jones about that.

Posted (edited)

"The one thing we all agreed on, our chief aim, was to be totally unpredictable and never to repeat ourselves. We wanted to be unquantifiable. That 'pythonesque' is now an adjective in the O.E.D. means we failed utterly." - Terry Jones in 2009

A couple of not entirely random castle photos:

SDDn1p9.jpg

"I see you have brought your own coconuts, so I assume you'll be wanting the Monty Python version of the audioguide."

d3XLV7r.jpg

Argh!

Τὸ ἐμὸν αερόστρωμνον ἐγχελείων πλῆρές ἐστιν

ᐅᒥᐊᕐᔫᑉ ᐳᓪᓕᓕᒫᐸᒐ ᑕᑦᑕᕐᓂᖅ ᐊᒻᒪᔭᖅ

lupDujHomwIj luteb gharghmey

BTW, the idea for the Ministry of Silly Walks came from John Cleese looking out of his room (B1, IIRC) at Downing College and seeing the Master (the Master's Lodge is the other side of the quad from there) trying to avoid stepping in the puddles in the infernal gravel that they have there. It rips up footwear and is basically a complete mess when it rains.

Edited by Grazza

45 minutes ago, Grazza said:

"The one thing we all agreed on, our chief aim, was to be totally unpredictable and never to repeat ourselves. We wanted to be unquantifiable. That 'pythonesque' is now an adjective in the O.E.D. means we failed utterly." - Terry Jones in 2009

Haha. He said something similar during a reunion special around 1999 i think it was. They bought out an urn of ashes and said it was Graham. They did a bit where they knocked it off the table and a guy came out and vaccuumed it up. Then John picked up exactly where he left off without missing a beat.

52 minutes ago, Grazza said:

BTW, the idea for the Ministry of Silly Walks came from John Cleese looking out of his room (B1, IIRC) at Downing College and seeing the Master (the Master's Lodge is the other side of the quad from there) trying to avoid stepping in the puddles in the infernal gravel that they have there. It rips up footwear and is basically a complete mess when it rains.

I had not heard that story. Brilliant.

Congrats on finally discovering it. And knowing good comedy when you see it. Figure I'll slide this one in here too:

Posted (edited)

Aha, good ol' Monty Python. I grew watching all their films with my old man and I've been obsessed with them my entire life. I have several big, chunky biography books about them and everything they did as a collective, as well as all their backstories. Terry Gilliam's (my favourite Python member) old cut-out animations continue to inspire me in my own work today, plus his films are always awesome. 

Fun fact: the coding language Python was named after them!

Posted (edited)

My dad used to screen the novels he read for passing on to my aunt, who didn't want to read any sex or violence. So it was a complete surprise when she said she had watched the Holy Grail and thought it was hilarious, especially the part where Arthur fights the black knight. She was ROFL when the black knight said 'Tis but a scratch'... haha!

Love Monty Python. So much funny shit. Also like @cannonball said, Fawlty Towers is hilarious too. Whenever I think of Fawlty, I can see him getting the branch to thrash the car. lol

And now for something completely different: Remember not to say "mattress" to Mr. Lambert, and whatever you do, don't mention the war!

The video that @Ichor posted pretty much summarizes why I love Life of Brian in particular. One of the finest improv scenes in movie history if you ask me.

9 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Dennis moore dennis moore is not in this bit.

He rides through the land, but not in this bit?

Stupid git!

Everything Monty Python's Flying Circus have done should be considered UNESCO cultural heritage.

40 minutes ago, cybdmn said:

Everything Monty Python's Flying Circus have done should be considered UNESCO cultural heritage.

Not to mention, we are very lucky to still have the full show today. The BBC almost wiped all the original tapes so that they could be reused for new shows.

They wiped Doctor Who instead.

Personal recommendation, even if you aren't interested in watching the full show, you must at least seek out The Cycling Tour.

As a teenager, I thought Dennis' ranting was humorous political-sounding gibberish, but it's been in the back of my head my whole life and it's made more and more sense to me as I've gotten older.

I wish I'd read up on it sooner.

"We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune . . ."

I think a lot of this applies to Ankh-Morpork as well.